Meteorite fall in Chelyabinsk!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by muncha, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Nikolay Babykin Registered Member

Affected by broken glass and looked in the window. Many simply were near windows (schools, children's gardens, gyms, offices).
    They also say that it was very hot from the flash. Some feared that the machine will explode.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nikolay Babykin Registered Member

Our scientists say that the speed of the meteorite was 2nd space, 11 km / sec. In Russia there is unrest due to a meteorite.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

Safer outside than near windows? That depends on the size. It's the same best advice with any large weather event, Go to an inner room or basement. If were much larger it would blow buildings off their foundations. Remember this?
    http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/15/russian-meteor-blast-recalls-massive-108-tunguska-event/

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Seen some speculation based on the path and area affected that this might have technically been stronger than Tunguska. If you read the article you linked, Tungusta might not have been as strong as initially thought. At any rate, this one today was nuclear strength, no doubt about it, and everyone there is lucky that it wasn't a bit bigger or denser, otherwise the shock area would have been larger and more devastated. Certainly a warning that if you're in the path, it doesn't have to be the size of Texas to ruin your day.

And for what it's worth, the general media is doing a terrible job reporting this, as usual with most science topics. I cringe every time I hear them talk about how it's a forerunner for tonight's asteroid pass, or how they misuse impact and shockwave. Even heard one say that the pass tonight would skim the atmosphere and hit satellites. Sigh.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes, quite lot of details fast. I wonder if they find any indication of Platinum etc. at the three impact sites. If they do, then the two groups planning to mine asteroids should be happy. I bet they don´t.

10. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

We have centuries of meteors already collected, we know what the rare earth mineral contents of the average asteroid is (concentrations several times greater then any terrestrial mine), for asteroid mining what would be needed is to find a good near earth asteroid that is out there and find out its exact content and mine it.

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks. I watched for few minutes and understand why (I think) the trace of it going down is about three times longer than going up on the display. I.e. they are slewing the telescope and the rotation of the earth some how make that effect. I did see a background star once sweep down ward in the display with apparent trajectory parallel to the asteroid.

13. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not as I recall, but search function here is too poor for me to find my old post with table of highest known concentrations (Au & Pt at least) in recovered asteroids. I was surprised to learn that in cold streams biological activity made concentration (of Au or Pt - I forget which) about 10 times higher than in any asteroid yet tested. Can you find the old threads where we discussed this "asteroid concentration" question?

As I recall none of the asteroids was better than the best mines as geological processes had increased the concentrations.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I was speaking of terrestrial mining, geology, not biology, which is organisms extracting minerals for sea water, like wise we could also concentrate rare earths from sea water, but at this time it is as uneconomical as asteroid mining.

Here from the Planetary Resources website:

"Some near-Earth asteroids contain platinum group metals in much higher concentrations than the richest Earth mines. In space, a single platinum-rich 500 meter wide asteroid contains about 174 times the yearly world output of platinum, and 1.5 times the known world-reserves of platinum group metals (ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium, and platinum). This amount is enough to fill a basketball court to four times the height of the rim. By contrast, all of the platinum group metals mined to date in history would not reach waist-high on that same basketball court."

16. rodereve Registered Member

Wow what a sight. Any pictures of the actual crash site or did most of it burn up in the atmosphere?

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well news is still coming in, but again the wiki is the best we have on it.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I saw a factory got hit on Reddit.

Funny thread, Russian guy checking in reporting that he is reading about the event online. I can do that too, if you are from Russia, I want an eyewitness account at least....

Sound effects, broken glass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIAm5hq8WWc

19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Of course they would claim that but go here to see the facts about all known high concentration of metals found in metallic asteroids:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...tor-missions&p=2929844&viewfull=1#post2929844

In the case of gold, most commercial mines have higher concentrations by large factor than the best known asteroid. See post 8 of that linked thread to for data on even a poor but very large gold surface deposit I have a financial interest in. (own stock). Pt in the best asteroid is only 1 part per million - less than mined on Earth! My link does not have data on the rear Earth elements, but they are less valuable.

See my data source here: http://chapters.marssociety.org/winnipeg/asteroid.html

As far as Pt is concerned in S. African mines:
    As a tonne is 1000 kg that concentration of PT is 3 to 6 times higher and the highest (1.1 Part per million) ever found in a metallic asteroid.

20. Equinox Hunter Registered Member

Chelyabinsk Event

This is main reason why I connected to this forum today. Need intelligent eyes of beholders and you certenly look like right adress. Now, on I think second video of YourEyes you can hear girl talking and laughing and in 1.34 min a sound-blast arrives also on video I tryed to attach (but errored after url. placement ) sound arrives at least at 1.19min ( since record starts after visual burnout ) . WHAT kind of shockwave arrives after that much time. If you fallow visually jet plane audio delays approx. 7 sec depending on distance. I am empirical type of person and am not easily swayed towards odd theories and myst - science but this is really fringed and odd event we witnesed. Can anyone answer me on this one please.

website of another video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57uLrbUb6w4

(please skip retarded quasi apocaliptical idiocy at begginig of this vid it is just example on sounddelay

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

All of them. The speed of sound is about 768 mph. So if it took 1 min 30 sec to hear the shockwave, it started about 19 miles away.

You can see about 20 miles on a flat plain.

23. Equinox Hunter Registered Member

4.07 min/sec and 768? Unbelievable, thank you both. They said 'ere on Croatian television that it was travelling 30 km per second after enterance. They denied it was a shard from main mass of currently observed one that was passing Earth. Perhaps it was on odd trajectory say just behid it few angles and one passing us hid it from sensors/observers ( of course their focuses were on one bypassing, may be part of reason ) otherwise it's strange no one caught it's glanse since it's size was moderate enough.