Meteorite fall in Chelyabinsk!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by muncha, Feb 15, 2013.

1. muncha Registered Member

Today registered a decline metiarita! Flash seen for 300 miles! Does not work mobile. There are wounded from cuts of broken glass! The evening will fly folder, NASA will be broadcast live!

Here is video:

[video=youtube;cGyQIw899dQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGyQIw899dQ[/video]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Haven't seen any confirmation of this yet, but if true, a very nice video capture. If it's a fake video, a very well done one.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

So what, a meteorite got video captured, big deal. As for fragments causing injuries, I doubt that intensely.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

oh dam correction: 4 people were injured according to emergency bureau

[video=youtube;36w4Lh44dZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36w4Lh44dZg[/video]

[video=youtube;Qin41lP9r2U#!]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qin41lP9r2U#![/video]

[video=youtube;0ozSq3yEm3g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ozSq3yEm3g[/video]

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why do so many Russian cars have a dash cam? Thankfully they do, so we can see these amazing clips

9. Cheezle Hab SoSlI' Quch! Registered Senior Member

There are dash cams and phone cams and ATM cams, and all those other cams, everywhere, which makes you wonder why UFOs are not captured more. Hmmm, makes you wonder.

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Might this have anything to do with that asteroid flyby today?

11. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Just hearing BBC World about it and they were traveling in different directions.

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Ah..ok! Tks!

13. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

My question too. CNN just said 900+ Rusians were injured, mainly by flying glass for windows broken by the shock waves. Also said it was traveling at 13Km/ sec. What is the speed (wrt Earth) of the big one that will miss Earth in very close fly-by?

Perhaps this one hitting Russia was gravitationally bound to the big one, if it too is now moving at ~13Km/sec.

14. elte Valued Senior Member

If I heard right, that's what NASA said, that they had different trajectories.

15. Nikolay Babykin Registered Member

Hello!
    I am writing you from Russia. Here's a link to a selection of videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPclxFppfNQ .
    Today I have a whole day reading online about meteorite Chelyabenske.
    If there are any questions, ask.

16. elte Valued Senior Member

Hello. Wow, thanks!

17. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

One video I saw (probably others) that showed the debris trail from the explosion, and then the explosion itself followed a few minutes afterwards, with the sounds of broken glass. That's a pretty massive shock wave. I guess this is on the scale of those meteors that explode over the ocean and set off the nuclear detection devices, only this one got caught on video.

18. Engell79 Registered Senior Member

Just heard on the radio.

500+ ppl was injured by the meteorid shockwave

19. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

The reports of those needing medical attention has increased to 985, mostly cuts from broken glass and debris.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Time for some math! If it took (I'm guessing) a minimum of 5 seconds for a witness to pull out his camera and then 30 seconds later exactly the shock wave hits him, how far was he from the blast? Just assume a constant speed of sound and point source for starters.

21. Nikolay Babykin Registered Member

Injured by a meteorite about 985 people. Most of the wounded by broken glass.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  22. Scott Myers Newbie Registered Senior Member

I'd say it's easily possible for some rougue satellites to have gotten dislodged on their way near Earth, considering all the large objects possibly involved in it's trajectory toward Earth. That being said, it's possible as this thing passes between the GPS orbits and us, that other small objects could be dislodged.

I warned my facebook friends and family that if they see a bright flash in the sky, to not go out and gawk, or go to the window to see what happened, The shockwave is far enough behind it's like bait for us humans. I told them to take cover. If your in a car, roll down your windows slightly and cover your ears. Most of these injuries might have been avoided with some advice for folks who just didn't know. Have a nice day

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member