Metallica cover song by Snoop DOGG

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Soulcry, May 15, 2003.

1. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

Pleaseeeeeee dont do this. Because of all the new stupid rap-rock bands they found their courage to cover sad but true by Metallica.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I dont hav e anything against people who like Snoop but this kind of covers make me sick. This is sooo sick!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

When I saw the title of this post, I thought Metallica covered a Snoop Dogg song and I fucking freaked!

That would have been even worse.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

i think it's at least amusing to see an artist cover a song they have no business touching with a ten foot pole. sometimes the results are interesting. Didn't Phish do a cover of Gin n Juice? I know they did a pumpkins song.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Metallica need the money....

Snoop dogg is awesome, don't act like this is a scar on metallica's name they turned themselves into a joke years ago.

8. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

sad but true is a very good song. idon't think snoop has the right to touch it. and no dr. lou, metallica are not a joke.

9. fredx Banned Banned

I am glad that Snoop only sang about one bar of it at the mtv icon show because it sounded terrible, I thought Snoop had a little bit of singing ability, as a matter of fact I know I have heard Snoop sing a little bit better than that, in a word, his performance was terrible. It really did sound like he was making fun of them more than anything else, not that I like the direction Metallica has taken in the past few years, but they are probably histories greatest metal band and they are innovators, and they deserve more respect than to have Snoop get on stage and start acting like a clown. Snoop doesn't act so foolishly at his own concerts, if your not really into it, don't do it, thats all I can say.

10. Whyatt Thrash Indecent Registered Senior Member

BWAAAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Sorry, couldn't stop myself...

11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I'm a HUGE fan of snoop dogg the man. But he's not that talented, he's just charismatic and awesome.
    He's litterally the opposite of metallica.
    They are good at guitars or whatever but they are not likable people. They are white trash greaseballs.

And when I said they need the money I meant they would really really want the money. snoop would have got their permission to sing their song and probably gave them money and they would have jumped on it and fought over every penny like scavenging dogs.
    And if snoop was making fun of them they wouldn't even notice because clearly they don't have a very good sense of humour.

12. BloodSuckingGerbile Master of Puppets Registered Senior Member

Holy sh*t!
    POOP DOG? that's too much!!!!!
    He obviously cannot sing! And why is that when a rapper goes up on stage he has to take 5 homies or a drugged up midget with him? When I watched it, I just... couldn't look. This is a shame to Metallica. How could Metallica.... do that? They betrayed their fans... they went to the other side. Oh no...

*burning all metallica cds*

13. fredx Banned Banned

Lou Natic once again says it all and beautifully so. Greaseballs, hah, I wish I would have said that.

14. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

YO, nutti'n else mattas...

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I was going to say that I fell off my chair laughing, but I couldn't even laugh at such a statement.

How much metal have you listened to?

Metallica hasn't even BEEN metal in years.
    They are barely a notch above pop-rock.

The first few albums, sure, they WERE metal back then, and pretty good.
    But History's greatest metal band???
    I have to know what metal you have listened to.
    Who are you comparing them against?

Black Sabbath?
    King Diamond?
    Merciful Fate?
    Hell, even Megadeath at least?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't mention any of those bullshit neo-metal bands that are closer to rap than metal.
    That is even worse than referring to 80's big hair rock as metal.
    I shoot those people.

I am not saying you shouldn't like Metallica or anything.
    I just want to know what you consider metal.

16. doom Registered Senior Member

Hah i knew metallica had gone shite as soon as they released that black album,the black album is a good listen but it wasnt thrash,nothing there ever gonna do is gonna beat master of puppets,nuff said.

As for load things just got worse,with re-load,then that fucking covers record,then there playing with an orchestra mixing with classical music,
    just to drive the last nail in the fucking coffin they do that pussy fucking mission impossible 2 track "i dissapear"

I wish they would dissapear,they now suck.
    Come back when youre playing music i like.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Gnutella!

You can bet I'm going to download that. It's either going to be really, really good (a slim possibility, but a real one nonetheless) or else funnier than hell (the most likely scenario). It's moments like this that music piracy was invented for. After all, if it's good, I can always hop over to the Apple Music Store and buy it.

Oh, hey ... nope. Not at the Store yet; is the song released or are we reacting to advance press?

:m:,
    Tiassa

18. YoungWriter Audiophile Registered Senior Member

I never got into the whole metal thing, and the stuff I hear on the radio by Metallica (new and old) just sounds so repetitive. Espeically Nothing Else MAtters.

I swear, if I hear one more acoustic cover of that song...

19. wrmgrl Registered Senior Member

slightly off topic

OK, since this is about Metallica covers, did you all see Jim Brewer at the MTV Icon thing for Metallica sing "If you're happy and you know it" Metallica style? I was falling off my couch laughing, even Metallica was laughing.
    "Clap your haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaands!"

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The metal years? Rough outline

Black Sabbath: metal arrives
    Randy Rhodes: metal evolves
    Soundgarden: hailed as the transformation of heavy music
    Nirvana: the official end of the heavy metal era

Notes:

King Diamond: Them was a masterpiece beyond masterpieces. Abigail ... now that is an album. Phack! My high school favorites.

Sanctuary: While I prefer their Howard Benson-produced second CBS Lp, Into the Mirror Black, their Dave Mustaine-produced CBS debut, Refuge Denied includes an insane cover of "White Rabbit".

Kik Tracee: Latecoming post-glam pop-metal. I only mention them here because Sanctuary (see above) once noted that their crown had been stolen; the worst cover in the world, worse even than the Lemonheads, was KT's cover of "Mrs. Robinson".

Anthrax: I was fortunate enough to see Anthrax three times with Belladonna at the front. The post-grunge Anthrax was a low point for metal. Seeing Jon Bush (Armored Saint) in front of Anthrax made me miss David Pritchard.

Fates' Warning: Joey Vera, also of Armored Saint, eventually contributed to this band. The badly-engineered No Exit is an astounding metal work.

Savatage: Streets: A Rock Opera was a late contribution by a movement mainstay to the dying metal organism. A fabulous album, subversively Christian in its own way, but merely a solid recital of classic hard rock construction. Nonetheless, it's one of my favorite albums of the metal age. By the time they got to Edge of Thorns ... I didn't know what to think. The sound was dead, but it was nice to know they could still do it.

Dream Theater: A low point in the dying movement.

Metallica: The Black Album was their note of surrender. I accept. I was not nearly as impressed with Justice as others. I'm not a Cliff Burton snob, but I do think that losing him took that much out of the band.

Faith No More: I thought the metal age would live on another decade when I heard those guys. A side note: the t-shirt Jim Martin wears in the "Epic" video is, I believe, for the band Easy Street. Regardless of the actual name, it's the band in which Martin and Cliff Burton played together for a while.

Flotsam and Jetsam: When the Storm Comes Down was an interesting album. Jason left to Metallica, and suddenly the band goes after a more Metallica-like sound ... "Suffer the Masses" is a crusher.

Slayer: What can I say? They're Slayer. Perhaps the coolest metal band ever. I just don't get it. I was a latecomer to the Slayer bandwagon, and had my fix after the crushing pit during their 1991 Clash of the Titans performance at the Cow Palace. South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss were the two I finally listened to a lot. Like I said, I was a latecomer.

Twisted Sister: What can I say? They're Twisted Sister. Again, a candidate for the coolest metal band ever. In retrospect, I'm surprised the Poison/Ratt/Motley Crue (Los Angeles) glam movement kept kicking as long as it did. Of course, it's always interesting that a macho metal band's record sales jumped if your guitarist or singer looked like a beautiful woman.

Carnivore: I bought their self-titled album specifically because they made the PMRC's top-ten hit list (I believe it was Tipper Gore's Raising PG Kids in an R-Rated Society; see offensive lyrics.)

Panic: Seattle-area metal outfit with connections to the contemporary Hog Molly. I heard them one night on KCMU or KGRG when they released their first demo, a frenetic punk outing describing the murder of a family, and didn't hear from them again until they turned up looking pop-metal but absolutely rocking on a local video show. "911" was a great song. They also had a bit where they sampled Bob Tilton, of the Success 'n' Life ministry (who would later go down in scandal, yet resurrect a new ministry), who was my favorite target for derision at the time. It was a good run, despite the racist overtones of at least one of their songs. ("There's more dead crows than there are damn bullets!" ... I can't find an online version.)

Temple of the Dog: I first heard this album the same weekend I went to the Clash of the Titans show. The future of glam died with Andy Wood, and from Mother Love Bone's ashes came Temple and Pearl Jam. These were the albums that turned me away from metal itself in search of heavy music and better chords.

Of course, having a girlfriend at all during that time necessitated, it seemed, familiarity with many low points of the age. I never owned a Warrant album, but I did own a Shotgun Messiah album ("The Explorer" was good, I swear!).

Havana Black: Decried as a rip-off of Bad Company, I think they got some justification from the return of Bad Co.. Havana Black sounded better. I actually need to find a new copy of the Indian Warrior album.

Stryper: A definite low point. As was Bloodgood and King's X, though of the latter, I would have let them be in general except I was tired of people telling me that they were the best musicians in the world.

Alice Cooper: Billion Dollar Babies was one of my first Lp's ever. Cooper held much respect in the metal world, and still does, though I can only think of one album that might even count as metal.

Iron Maiden: They had seven reasonably good albums. That's more than you can ask of most.

Bruce Dickinson: Tattooed Millionaire, Bruce's solo debut, is a low point of the movement, despite personal affection for a couple of his songs, including an amazingly bad cover of "All the Young Dudes".

Adrian Smith and Project: Not metal, but Smith's solo project produced a bang-up album, Silver and Gold that essentially put Dickinson and Iron Maiden in their places, much the same way Sambora's solo debut pissed on Jon Bon's parade. ASAP was a good project, and it's tragic that I can't find this album these days.

Stormtroopers of Death: The definitive thrash album - Speak English or Die!

Queensrÿche: Don't know what to tell you. I liked their debut Ep (including "The Lady Wore Black"), but never understood the pop appeal.

A quick list of my metal-years favorites:

(1) King Diamond
    (2) Sanctuary
    (3) Anthrax
    (4) Fates' Warning
    (5) Slayer
    (6) Panic
    (7) D.R.I.
    (8) Flotsam and Jetsam
    (9) Agony Column
    (10) Yngwie J. Malmsteen (seriously ... ever heard "I Am a Viking"?)

But at the same time I was developing a taste for Stevie Ray Vaughan and finally starting to put down my rock and roll roots and pay attention to Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, AC/DC, Black Sabbath itself ... Joe Satriani was on the rise, Guns 'n' Roses, of course, had my attention. And I had my pop-side, as well. Mummy Calls ("Beauty Has Her Way", Lost Boys Soundtrack) and the service (head vs. wall) led the way, and a brief flirtation with rap centered around Mix-A-Lot and Kid Sensation (and a curious thing for Rob Base and E-Z Rock's "It Takes Two") failed to keep me inspired.

We won't talk about the college years. There's only so much Belly and the Cranberries that I can confess to, much less remember. But that's when I figured out mushrooms and Screaming Trees go well together, and metal has been reduced to an affectionate part of my library, but hardly the gleaming centerpiece it once was.

Daylight dreamers awaken on
    Deserts of desperation
    Lonely lives learn to live on
    islands of isolation
    Surrounded by violent oceans
    of hate and hopeless sorrows
    Daylight dreamers envision
    tranquil seas in safe tomorrows

Dreaming through the darkened day
    Along tempest torn strands
    Desperately grasping the grains
    of hope that flit through our hands
    As they fall we tighten our hold
    While the waves claim the final few
    taken without ceremony
    They drift out of view

Washed away with the tides of time
    Slipped through our fingers as dreams do

(Fates' Warning, "The Ivory Gate of Dreams")

rock on,
    Tiassa

21. prozak Banned Banned

Metal and hip-hop will never meet without destroying one another. Metallica have been whores for a decade now...

22. prozak Banned Banned

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

Prozak:

I'm not going to fucking defend CoF (they haven't been CoF for at least three fucking albums), but Dimmu?

Being melodic doesn't make it shit, nor does it make it "dinnertime comedy circus".

I'll admit that Dimmu is going to attract the "Everybody hates me because I've got a dark soul and I reject the world that has rejected me (while buying the shit that world sells me under the name of "rebellion")" crowd, but Dimmu is good.

Fuck, you want to talk about comedy, look at pussyboy Aryan-metal shit. "Aryan heros with big swords" sums up the lyrical content of almost every fucking Aryan shit band (exception for Graveland, who kick ass).

/Edit:

On topic, who the fuck cares? It's not like Metallica could sell out more than they already have.

Last edited: May 27, 2003