Mental Health and the Existentialists

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tnerb, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

I apologise as I was not aware of the type of work you have done, and I was interested in what it was.

I just got the impression from your posts that you were critical of medications and the system and I don't remember you saying anything in support of (what I agree is) the necessary evil of psychiatric medications - although I would see it more as a compromise, that people are willing to put up with some shitty side effects in exchange for alleviating some of their symptoms. Anti-psychotics are reknown for having the shittiest of side effects, and people often stop taking them as a result.
    I think its really important that new ones with less side effects and more effectiveness are developed ASAP, but as we both know its a complex issue.

I must say that I am impressed with the work you do and admire and respect you for doing it.
    I don't know much about ECT apart from that its a last resort, is done under general anaesthetic, and often seriously damages patients recent memories.

I was under the impression that people still had the right to choose whether or not they were to undergo ECT, has that been your experience?
    It would concern me greatly if people were still (in this day and age) involuntarily subjected to ECT, without their express permission, and without having tried all of the medications available.

I'm sorry if I came across as rude or judgemental - I also care about peoples rights and quality of life - I just wanted to exert my opinion that I didn't think that talking to people who are suffering from mental illness about telepathy would help them.
    I admit there is a lot we don't know and still so much improvement is needed in the whole field.

I'm also quite concerned with Geneps posts, and his motivations for posting.
    His posts remind me of Duendy's.
    I can't understand how an MD would say that spirituality was the sole and ONLY cause - i totally accept that many people have spiritual issues, and I see no problem with it whatsoever, just as long as the medical approach is also available to them if they choose it.

I'd never label anyone negatively as "crazy" or "insane" - i hate those words, and I will continue to try to contribute to removing the stigma from mental illness - as well as sticking up for the rights of those who choose to be patients.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

The other thing I wanted to add is that I think its great that you are obviously helping people and that your desire is to help them - i think that is the most important thing.
    Prestige and position and status and income and all that bullshit are really nothing compared to the desire to listen to people and to understand them and help them.

It seriously pisses me off that there are people who are mentally ill who aren't properly informed and who's consent isn't properly obtained before any treatment.
    As much as I can vouch for the miracles of medicine I don't like the principle of forcing someone to do ANYTHING (that is unless they've committed some horrible crime like rape or murder).

I totally agree with you on the lack of resources and funding. Too many patients are turned away at a time of crisis. No where near enough get the support they need.

I recently heard that whilst 25% of disability claims made are related to mental health - only 6% of Australia's federal health budget goes towards the mental health system - this seriously needs to change and i think the goverment are finally saying they will do something about it.

(My goal after i finish my degree is to go up north where they are even SHORTER on resources and to see if I can get a position in a psych/neurology ward.)

QQ I've enjoyed talking to you and you seem like a guy with the best of intentions.
    If someone could demonstrate telepathy to me I would totally change my mind in the blink of an eye.

Peace,
    Huwy

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Apology accepted and understood. Tolerance is always an issue for every one.

There was a recently introduced AP called Seroquel that seemed to offer some relief to those finding poor results from Risperdole and other.
    Recently there was big news that Risperdole was now available as injectable. For those on court ordered injections this may prove a great thing as Modecate is a really old sledge hammer med that was used years ago. It is effective but really impoverishes the patients ability to think or feel.

Another injectable Clozapine has the debilitating fact of regular blood tests and normally involves in-patent status [ it removes any excitability in the patient]
    After a while you can almost tell what drug is being used just by looking at their eyes.

Must keep in mind that patients in psych wards have limited legal recourse. Almost zero credibility and are easilly persuaded. They are the most vulnerable of society and the value of their concent is less than that of a "normally" functioning person.
    Often from my experience, patients are threatened with ECT as a necessary outcome from med rejection. ECT is a horror notion for most and is seen as a way to intimidate. The patient can not reject medications without suffering a resultant reaction from Doctors and nursing staff. The typical ward is after all, a small micro community with it's unspoken rules and regulations.
    So the issue of concent is a really hot potato. The patient can recieve ECT if a close relative agrees in some cases. [ This whole thing is a nightmare and I mean nightmare for every one involved but especially for the patient who is about to loose some precious memories because the Doctors can't think of anything else better to offer.]

My youngest brother was administered ECT 3 times he committed suicide 2 months after the last treatment. He was diagnosed with just about every diagnosis possible. [ The doctors just simply don't know.....]

I think you may have misinterpreted his anger and maybe Genep can explain his 30 years of expereinces with MD's

I fully agree with the intent of what this says and admit that I was only reacting to an impression I got from your previous post as to my own mental state.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Huwy,
    If you are seriously considering a career in mental health in any capacity my hat comes of for you.

It would have to be the most vexatious, traumatic, and desparate industry in existance. It is also dealing with the most insidious and debilitating condition in that a persons very emotional and intellectual existance is at stake.

When someone hands you their wallet and house keys and asks that you act as attorney for them it strikes at the very thing we hold so precious, that being our ability to self-determine our fate or destiny.

8. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

QQ,

I really am very sorry to hear about your brother. There's a history in my family as well, so i know how devastating it can be.
    My understanding is that clinical mental illness often involves neurochemical factors in the brain - and that these conditions are often inherited - schizophrenia is an example of a condition that is shown in recent research to be highly hereditary.

I really think society needs to acknowledge how widespread this problem is and to understand mental illness, instead of claiming its not the cause of people's problems - thats what's motivated me to kick up such a fuss on this thread and this board.

As you say it is a desperate industry, but at the same time somebody has to do it, to try and make things better, make a positive difference.
    As I said I respect and admire you for all the energy you put into what you do, and your obvious compassion, and my hat comes off to you too.

I really had no idea that you cared about this issue, knew it was such a debilitating and widespread problem, and cared about the people who suffered so much.
    I also had no idea you had so much knowledge and experience.

What did I say in a previous post in regards to your own mental state?
    Pardon I never would have meant anything insulting - even though I was criticising the idea of telepathy.

I have spoken to people on anti-psychotics and i know exactly what you mean - it turns them into zombies and takes away all of the pleasure in their lives - (i believe this is related to the inhibition of some of the dopamine activity - it squashes their mood)

In high school a female friend's boyfriend was really ill and decided for ect treatmeant - and apparently it worked better than anything he'd tried before and made him feel a lot better.
    I'm not defending ect at all I think it would be fucking awful - but he got to decide and i think thats the most important thing, it was his decision.

I think medication should always be paired with therapy - so logically anyone who's doped off their face (with the intent of stopping them from suffering so much) - should also be entitled to frequent and ongoing sessions - but as you said that precious resource of "time" just isn't as available as it should be.
    People in those situations need someone to trust and to listen to them, its so important. To medicate someone of their face but then not provide them with a lot of therapy - seems a great shame.

It has occurred to me that while duendy and I have argued a lot over the existence of mental illness, duendy does have a point about patient's rights and i have realised that I will endeavour to stick up for their rights, even if they are mentally diminished - its all about quality of life in my opinion, and if they choose to refuse or cease treatment then even if i don't think its the best idea i will stick up for their choice.

It is a very confusing area with the mentally impaired, and with children: the question of what is really in their interests?
    I would like to think people would take a moment longer to listen and try to figure out the real problem - perhaps if there were more funding and resources and more staff people could have that time - to give to really trying to understand whats best for people.

It's obvious now that we both really care about people suffering from mental illness and want to understand and help them - instead of telling them nothing is wrong with them (e.g. as duendy does) - when they are the ones complaining of suffering so much.

peace
    Huwy

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Thanks for you empathy and I do think we talk from similar and shared experience.
    To me, this issue has never been about belief or beliefs that a person has. THis issue is really only about how well a person who chooses to live in a society is able to cope with that lifestyle choice. The ability to pay bills on time, budget their money, smile at a joke, go dancing and enjoy the company of family and most importantly "strangers".

How a person can go shopping for things and enjoy dreaming the dream about their future.
    It is not about how a person can be wrong or right about things but simply how they can express that judgement in a way that helps them and not destroys them.

I tread a tricky line on all this casuality issue. I am aware that the brains neurology is intrinsic to the state of mental health but I am also aware of things from a more, hmmmm....how can I say it "esoteric" position.

Due to a stroke I suffered many years ago I have had many insights and experiences that leave the question of our interconnectedness beyond any doubt. A loss of proprioception governance [fortunately nearly fully restored now] left me with a rather interesting POV on the nature of our minds and our subconscious relationships.
    For example in another thread I shared a recent experience which I may repost here for your enlightenment and no doubt "disbelief ".

I can give one very profound example of why I know Schizophrenia is the outcome of telepathic or psychic confusion. That the voices they hear are not just simply the manifestation of an over active imagination that they are physically yet psychically contrived. That their own voice is split into two thus their will is split into two. So as you can imagine they are in a state of war with their own voice, which has been split into two wills....[.a Self determination violation ]

I was observing a person that I have observed for many months who was in the throws of having an argument with these so called imaginary voices. He was approximately 40 feet way, yelling abuse and waving his arms and hands about in a very aggressive and threatening fashion. [typical]

I could actually remotely hear the conversation he was having. Both his voice and the secondary voice. I actually attempted to communicate with him using his "imaginary voice" and succeeded in doing so, so much so that he sat down and started a conversation with me [ 30 feet away with no idea where this new voice was coming from]. However the concentration needed on my part was so intense that I had to break contact with in about 3 minutes. Since then this persons behaviour has changed radically, for the better I might add because now he is subconsciously tuned into me and not the aggressive voices he was accustomed to. In fact he has been seen engaging in so called normal behaviour since and most who know of him consider it a small miracle, however they do not know of what transpired between us.

Now, no doubt this will raise a few eye brows and cause concerns for my own sense of reality etc. And to be honest I also have to constantly re-assess my own sense of reality. However It leaves me in a rather strange position of both perspectives that being conventional medical opinion and my own extraordinary experiences.
    So I am not surprised that I generate confusion from people reading my posts as I seem to have a foot on both sides of the fence whilst I am sitting on it simultaneously.
    Obviously I can not pursue any agenda directly simply because neither position is able to be fully validated with the predictable evidences necessary to move from contention or notion to actuality and acceptance.

Proof of telepathy in a way that would be convincing is still a significant work in progress for me.
    However it was only recently that I realised what was common not only with my own extraordinary expereinces [ which are too many to mention] and that suffered by those on the throws of auditory "halucination" and that was in all cases it was everything to do with the fight for self determination or freewill. I then look around at the world and considerd the question:
    How does this effect us as a race? How does this cause the conflict we all experience in our every day lives?

And I see that Self determination violations are as common as the air we breath.
    Forgetting ESP for the moment and just thinking in a normal psychological perspective one can see immediately that the worlds main cause for conflict is how we all attempt to tell people what to do, what they should do, how they should feel, what thoughts they should be thinking and the list of should's and shouldn'ts gets longer and longer.

Now extending this in to the subtle realms of the psychic and I can see that SDV's are enormously important to our mental health as an SDV almost always causes irrational thinking and fear based responses such as paranoia and serious intolerances.
    It is our insinctive behaviour that is the primary driver.

So to heal the problem our instinctive reactions and reflexes need to be tempored and trained. Medication of course is designed to do just that, temper reflexive responses to stimuli and not solving the cause for that increase in metastability.

So if one can promote reflexive training and with the aid of medication to slow things down we may have a way of securing a future for those afflicted.

10. Tnerb Banned Banned

Dearest Ellion and Friends;

I first wanted to say that, in response to Huwy, none of your talk is really off subject. I find that what you are talking about is relevent actually to this thread. And it should continue to be that way. I might even contribute something myself along these lines, I doubt that, but think I could share some of my own thoughts about these things. Either way, keep it up!...

Now I wanted to say also, that I would like for this thread to continue with the clarification of my own problems. Whatever truth to my being we can reach.... I would actually like to go as far as we can, with whoevers help....

Now I am going to respond to ellions last message:

Good question. I don't know, seems like the truth to my bullshit. So I can sit here and enjoy, getting past whatever it is that I have in the way. The truth to my life being bullshit. ..I'm actually feeling ok. Sort of like everyone's voices aren't too important, and that I have a sort of hardend self at the time. A bit at least. I'm interested in the truth in these ways. Getting past things that hold me. Getting past them whatever that should take, whatever I should do... ie, not reading philosophy if I shouldn't, and such stupid things. Sitting regurally without distraction. Eating regurally like everyone else does. Whatever the truth is, ellion. I consider the truth to be my life itself. But I would like for my life to have to come to this. I mean, to come to. ....

“ Yes. I really do care. I think I care a lot. But obviously I am wrong. I mean, ha, whatever, you don't want that. It isn't acceptable. No DUH! I care but I don't think... Well. It hurts me that I can't care about what I should care about. It hurts me that ”

It is, trust me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And I deal with it a lot. I would only like to be "sane." We all know what this means. Or do I? I can't much claim to. But I am feeling ok at the time....
    I say that I "should care", because I should have the state to where everyone is "caring." Or, ie, "is sane." I should care, because it appears that most of the time, or that I have difficulties in "caring."
    I say and whatever because I don't know what it is that is stopping me, I think.

Because I do not believe my state is one that is caring. If not this is sort of abnormal, no?
    That is the question of questions. Because there is some inner conflict or something "stupid" that I have yet to put any grasp on. I do not "care".. because it seems that I am unable to....
    To be in that state my entire life would be a pain of pains. But .. people tell me that I am just stupid, which is strange. That I should just quit being stupid. .... It sorta is , hey.

Yes ellion. Thinking is different than being. Sometimes that is hard to sort out! ha! I need to be something other than myself, it seems I have messed myself up. Maybe that is for the good in the long run! --- don't know! To regain my humanity back, whatever that takes. That seems to be the damn goodness!

Terrible at being their friends. Terrible at handling their presence. Terrible in that I can't take them. I can't be used to their voice, and their presence. I haven't the humanity to do that. Terrible, as in, not having the head screwed on fucking straight. A thing in my head I don't seem to want to let go of. Something self made which is stupid. That I can't let go of. That I must let go of. Maybe that's a part of it. But you know what? I think it is terrible at ... not being around them and having a heart. A soul....?
    Exactly similar....

That is a pretty good description it seems. Here I would like to say a lot. This is it seems the point of departure. I don't see how other people are, really. I can't possibly freaking imagine how they are in their heads. I am getting a better grasp on this. Concious of myself, you say?... Sort of concious as in (also of the other person) this feeling of "not ready" sort of criticalness? It isn't so much a social anxiety disorder, it seems, however it may even be similar to that. It seems like it is not having a calm mind and instead having something opposite that just isn't ready for others.

Exactly. "Being sure", about these thing such as my sister. All of these uncertainties like this is what makes me terrible. Racism for example, things similar. I can't stand that's how it is. Composure and strength, yes....?

This is a tough one. I can't be let go without a tough one! Good!!!

But see, i'm uncomfortable to begin with. At the present i am not. It seems like I am describing the nightmare of my yesterday. Like I have no past except for this present, which is sort of like starting my life over again--- scary I tell you. Yes ellion, what you said above starts to really get to it. I hope we are able to go further. Even further than this! Which will be hard it seems to me. What you said above, is basically true. We should talk about this further.

Seems to be the answer, really. What more of an answer could there be? I believe I can find the answer by finding myself. I am all for what you eariler called, "self mastery". There's nothing better to do than improve, as I have worded it. But you know that's kind of bizare really lol. (had to delete the bug eye face)I must get to the point of trusting myself with a calm and confident mind.... Why I can't do that buggs the hell out of me! lol......

Have other selfs. Be sane, really. Get rid of this crap in my mind for once. Just figure out if I can't even get rid of it because in actuallyity I am evil. Which I hope I don't find that out. Just to be normal man and just be able to accept this one day. To be led to the path of this truth by whatever means.

I was really hoping he would. That in my mind, what I have is bullshit. For him to lunge that one down to me and open me up to reality. I may be able to do this on myself. I just don't understand why I have to suffer, and if it is normal, or has happend before by any person on earth. It is very questionable. Of course that I hate........

Again, you are lucky.

11. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

i am going to make a suggestion, if you feel like i have helped you and you feel that you could benefit from real therpay, find your self a person-centred or client-centred therapist. i am not sure if there are voluntary organisations where you live. here in the uk there are a lot of voluntary organisations that provide therapy free of charge. very very good therapy, and free. places like mental health advocay will tell you how to find these organisations. a community centre will likely tell you about local agencies that provide person-centred counselling? do make sure you that your therapist is person/client centred.

this i can assure you will provide you the opportunity to fully explore your thoughts and your feelings, without judgement or advice and in confidence.

i will reply to the rest of your post later on.

12. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

maybe not today, worn out now! hope you are okay.

13. Tnerb Banned Banned

Hanging in there. It's like, I mean, I don't know if this happens too often. It appears fairly normal. If I have a mental disorder, all's well and ok I can ignore that idea, start my life over... that's what I don't know if it happens often or not. But it is like I have fought my problems to extreme. Made myself better. I continue to realize how open things are, when you don't know, everything.

I will remain to think that most organizations are stupid. Stupid because of fear....

14. Tnerb Banned Banned

Hello.

Good bye

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

In response to your PM,

Brent, the main relevation you allowed me to remember was discussed in this post:
    Constantly speculating on what you should or shouldn't do or feel. Is what I see.

The use of words like should and shouldn't immediately tells me that you are reacting to pressure to be something someone else would want you to be.

This returns me to my hypothesis of self determination violations in that the pressure you are under is the pressure being subconsciously and consciously applied upon you.

To solve your problem you need to work with these should's and shouldn'ts knowing that most of this pressure is being applied at a subconscious level and is unwittingly being applied mostly by those who have an interest in your welfare.

It has most to do with all the subliminal or hidden pressures that drive your vexations.

To say to your self "I should be able to care" immediately neutralises any genuine care that you may have.

To question that which is intrinsically Brent, [The love of Brent] is to vexate that emotion and places you in a very uncomfortable postion.

So the issue as I see it and the issue that needs to be dealt with before any other is the issue of should and shouldn't speculation.

Most support groups in society like ALANON and AA and NA etc all spend great efforts working on the Should's and Shouldn't's.

Should you feel like shit? Of course you should if that is how you feel.
    Should you care about things, Of course you should if that is how you feel.
    and so on.
    You need to take ownership or proprietry over your feelings and even if they feel like some one elses they are still yours. right or wrong.

So I would recommend as a first step:

Write down a list of the things you care about and then ask yourself about the absurdity of wondering whether you should or shouldn't care about those things.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Of course you can realise that the previous post is loaded with subliminal should's and shouldn't. [and so is this one]
    It is virtually impossible to avoid these sorts of pressures, not only in the application but in the reciept.

This is why these types of problems are extremely difficult to solve.
    The pressures of every day living are the pressures that some of us can not cope with easilly and these posts are a part of this every day living thingo....

Either way, no matter how you react to the subtle pressures I have implied your reaction will be your reaction and the truth is what it is regardless of those reactions.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Also I agree with the general thrust of Ellions last post.
    Much more is to be gained if you can find a "real" person such as a therapist that you can talk to about your concerns. The virtual world of the internet is loaded with potential problems and advices that are not necessarilly in context or inspired by altruistic good intentions.
    However that said if you can differentiate and maintain a vigilance about the quality of internet discussions the internet can be of limited benefit.

A face to face situation however is by far superior as there are many visual and other sensory clues that can not be reckoned with when using this form of medium.

18. Tnerb Banned Banned

QQ:

I am going to try and cover some missing ground. Tie up some things by their form as a question. Such, you say a lot of useful and so also true, things. But there are things which may not have been covered, or even realized.

There are things that I should say in the right way, instead of just throwing them out there. An example of that would be, saying, "well, also I was diagnosed with schizo affective disorder, depressed type. I don't believe that is true or not or has at all any relation to this discussion, but I believe you may leave it out of your discussion?" No. Such a thing doesn't belong so easily.

So I am having problems responding to you maybe I should just respond as I do.

This must be true. But I feel that I have gone a step further, today, yesterday, example. What I mean is I am beginning to understand what you're saying easier, and I am comming to more grasp of the ideas. There is a form of "self posession."......

This could also be true. But the idea of it, is the main thing, QQ. It is mainly, it seems, not pressure from others, but somehow again this self posession. This in ability to escape self posession. Of course, I hear you say, you must have self posession. When I say self posession though I mean there are things in myself which are posessing MYSELF, for whatever reason. Like, I attack the background, because some way they attack me, or something like this!

QQ, it seems to me like the trouble is in escaping or mastering myself. But to do that i must escape this "self posession" that I am talking about. But I don't know, .. well.. it is hard to understand how it is them. I'm lost---

This is what I am trying to get rid of. It seems. I am trying to come down on it, but it seems caused by myself a lot. I can tell you why. Today for example (btw: you should see my new post in the free thoughts section "Bizare(?) release a Reality") it seems like what I was talking about in my other post that I am releasing from something, yet I came back to my rage and Hitler styled philosophy completely opposite to Sartre's freedom, it seems. I could help it, I wasn't free to decide to stay with realism. I am not even sure it was realism, but it may have joined back to that. The point i am trying to make is there may be something you have not considered about me, that I am trying to get to!

These are the things I deal with. I must get myself straight and get rid of these thoughts. I can't think of a much better way, and I am not sure if this is or isn't a mental disorder or is in any books, or if what you are reading about is something completely new to the field of "mental health", and the "existentialists"!!

It is very hard when I cannot control it myself........

Been coming to more of an understanding of this issue.

This one is pretty interesting. This one stresses the point I have been trying to make through the whole post.... Every word of it, almost......

To end it. I will reply to this last one. If I were to write down this list (I am thinking now it is a good idea, but it still has a hint of something to it).. of the things I care about, and then ask about the absurdity of why I should or should care for them, I might surely have a good idea of what it means to be "sane" heh.. lol, right? That is your point? But the problem is pretty strong in it's hold. The absurdity would be real, but it would still be a good exercise. I care about the computer. Why shouldn't I? Because it is very questionable. I care about Magic The Gathering the card game. Why shouldn't I? Because.... You get the picture. Things come into the picture.

I am glad to finally finish writing all this, and especialy that i didn't get disconnected!

19. Tnerb Banned Banned

QQ:

I also have a "main question."

Are you saying that I will never escape from what I am dealing with? What I mean, is what I try to escape from, that I can't get rid of it, that I just must change my perception? For example, in my other post in the free thoughts section "Bizare(?) release a reality". Are you saying that I should not try to escape, and that I should just deal with? This is asking advice, and I don't know which way to go... I don't know if i should---- hell.

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Brent, what I said was that you can not escape from your self.

Now let's attempt to define what is yourself?

Philosophers for thousands of years have been trying to define what is self.
    None have really come close.

The way to look at it that may be beneficial is that every single person on this planetdead or alive exists within every single person on this planet. Call it a soul if you like.
    Normally as a person goes about his every day life he is happy with the company of his past relationships and the people he "let's into " his conscious life.
    Sometimes however we discover things we don't like about our culminant soul. [ our universal person ]
    Most people can deal with these issues by introspection and discussion with them selves and some with support groups and freinds. In fact most discussions are centered around self development.
    For some however the challenge is greater because they become acutely aware of their own culminant self. They can discern those parts that seem to be alien or foriegn to them and immediately they recognise this alien aspect they attempt to expunge it from their culminant soul. Of course this is to fragment and polarise something in an attempt to do the impossible.

I use the words "culminant soul" to describe how our feelings are made up of many conflicting ideas and associations [ normally].
    Most persons can handle this conflict with relative ease some can not.

Because you are acutely aware of this inner conflict you are fighting an impossible fight. The aspects you do not like are now amplified and exagerated in your thoughts. You have given them power because they are now much more important to you than they were in the past. By fearing possession you have created a monster.

For example : Hitler can not possess you .....he is dead, died on 1944, killed himself because he couldn't stand the thought of public exposure for his crimes. He died a coward.
    He is only a symbol of the feelings you are fighting with. Feelings that we are all in some way dealing with in our own ways. [ even if you do not know of Hitler]

So in essence it is the acuteness of your self awareness that is driving you to distraction.

So Brent you have an awareness of all those aspects within all of us and it is what you do with this awareness that makes a difference.

The thing to realise is that simply being aware of those aspects does not make you any the less for it. In fact it grants you an empathy and an insight that most can not achieve.

You are able to compare yourself with those aspects and even in a polarised state you have an opportunity to achieve something that most of us can not hope to achieve.

So relax a little and ask yourself the question:
    What do I need to learn from this acute self-awareness that I have developed?
    What is reality attempting to tell me by giving me this opportunity?
    Ask your "possessors" what is it they want to teach you?

Turn the thing around and take the student approach. Give yourself the power over your antagonist. Say to yourself very clearly, "the more they try the stronger my sense of self and identity, I will become". Take that postion that empowers you over your "enemy".
    Throw the gauntlet down and ask "them" or those "things" what do they have to teach you. Play the bluff because that is all they are - a reflection of what you fear, a creation that reflects your fear.

Say:
    "Why should I fear you when you are just an exageration of who I am?"
    "You are just a distorted reflection of my self. Why am I in fear of my own reflection?"

Things like that. Reinforce that which is Brent. And in time Brent will show through with out any doubt as to who he is.

21. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

QQ what you are talking about here reminds me very much of the foundational core of the person-centred therapeutic philosphy.

i started this thread long ago to discuss but it never really went any where i feel this propositions touch the very core of our existence.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=44802

22. Tnerb Banned Banned

This is the most interesting conversating/reading I have had in a very long time! Thanks QQ! Thanks ellion! This is awesome!!!

...It's weird, this guy sent me a PM saying I understand self manipulation, that he should go straight for the man (the info---me). How bizare I am shaking my head in a sort of laughter! I'm going to respond to him, but I have a lot on my mind right now and a lot I would like to say.

As you guys well know, there is a lot of "philosophy", or "ideas", in my head. And it centers around these things ("how to manipulate others---...see the guys thread! He likes me

) I hate to take these ideas too far, and I don't really think I am. I have been changing my views a bit recently...

So, these ideas I have are about the "truths", that I have in my head which I can't advoid so easy, that come back and turn into a new philosophy (an "idea").

I should go to that guys thread.... Manipulating others through this "Bizare(?) release a reality"(my thread with 0 replys)......

Bizare release a reality, what I mean by that is a lot. Fortunate that I can regain sanity. Sanity...

Ps: Will respond later. Very thought provoking.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I read the list of 19 propositions in your post and I must admit I find significant agreement.
    Possibly he is in conflict with some others because society-centered theraputic philosophy seems to have been the focus and still is the focus for many.
    I am all about empowering the individual and yes I agree I am certainly interested in person centered theraputic approaches.

What stood out iin his list are:

Which is at the heart of why diagniosed conditions such as schizophrenia and other are intractable and very difficult to treat with therapies unless focus is maintained upon empowerment [ validation] rather than oppression/suppression [denial of validity]

edit: Suppression and oppression of the individuals truth, by telling him he is deluded or making things up or telling lies etc etc is very much in vogue with in the mental health industry. A halucination is thus relegated to a fanciful imagining and has no real basis to it's existance other than misfiring neurons.
    To me a halucination is a result of severe trauma and a refraction [ splitting] of a persons inner integrity. Created essentially by Self determination violations as I have mentioned before. And has an ability to show or uncover the way to treating the condition through fear therapies and the like, but again primary self determination based therapies would be most beneficial. Empowerement over suppression - person centered therapy rather than Mental Health Industry Centered therapy

and:

This to is a very significant proposition.
    And is what I was referring to when I said to Brent that he has a challenge that allows him an opportunity to achieve what less challenged person can achieve.

So acceptance of the challenge is a very important first step.