Men are better at Science

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by spuriousmonkey, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bells Staff Member

Debbie does Dallas

You can have her talent. It's called getting a boob job and a giggling git type of personality. Calling yourself Bambi might also help you achieve her 'talent'. Oh, just don't forget the knee pads, you might find they'll come in handy as you strive to reach her level of 'talent'.

You know a lot of intelligent men who want to wear braces and have a big nose or look and sound like a guy with no gonads? Hmmm.. interesting.

Bumblebee:

Yes. It's called little boys learning to seize that little worm between their legs to understand how it "moves, feels, interoperates, etc".

Your point? What? Because a little girl is not interested in your little toys she's slower? Could it be that the little girl could grow up with better communication skills, not to mention a more developed vocabulary, while the little boy grows up to be an unsociable outcast only interested in his computer with no skills about the real world whatsoever? Lets see now. A child developing better communication skills and vocabulary which will get them somewhere and another child learning how to switch on a monitor. Wow. You're right. Your nephew is that much more advanced.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That doesn't mean a single thing. That only shows that the top 10 pharmaceutical companies are run by peon's who also think that little boys are better because they can turn on the monitor that much earlier. Could it be that they hire a higher proportion of men because they are sexist and THINK that the woman can't do the job? Their level of skills means diddly squat, but her sex means so much more. What does that say about the scientific community I wonder? A woman is less likely to be hired by that company because she is a woman. Compare her grades to that of the male applicants, and I'd be willing to bet that she did better at university than most of the other male applicants who got the job. Buuuut she's a woman and therefore not someone people like you would want to hire. But Jaybee, that's good. You keep using you backward caveman quality of argument as a reason why women should not be hired. All it goes to prove to anyone of intelligence is that the woman would make a better scientist because she'd view each problem without the biases that currently plagues the male scientific brains in thinking that women aren't as good.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. water the sea Registered Senior Member

And you should have read what I said.
    I pointed out that the problem is in clearly defining and measuring certain abilities.
    That someone is better at something is usually a generalized statement. Easy to make, but scientifically hard to substantiate.

When it comes to science, many factors are involved that determine who is better, or what are the preferred abilities. It seems that some factors that make one good at science are "typically male", but some factors that also make one good at science are "typically female". So simply saying "men are better" at science can be misleading.

Don't make me go at your spelling.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nka Registered Member

Being a newbie here perhaps, I shouldn't comment on this but what the hell... I think it is all a matter of potential and realization. Without referencing any scientific studies and simply using my own life experiences to form an opinion; I would have to say that men are typically better at realizing their potential. Most women that I know are mentally 'lazy'. Taking the aforementioned into consideration, it would only make sense that men are, seemingly, more suited with science than women.
    I am, what most would consider to be, a woman of above average intelligence however; I still find that even I have moments of mental laziness that are usually triggered by emotion. I don’t particularly care to embrace that controversial element of womanhood however; I like to do my best to at least, always be honest with myself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I never said I was using logic. Did you just assume it? In fact you also seem to have assumed I was trying to defend the feminist in the middle, an erroneus assumption. You think I come here to act like a knight in shining armour?

Thats what I'm saying, and kind of what Thersites was saying, wayyy back at the beggining of this thread before it got silly.

But do you hate yourself? Thats what I'm wondering.

And about capitalism and brute force- the interesting thing is that you arent exactly right. what counts is how you use the force. Moreover, one of the reasons women are in the workplace much more these days is that the means of making production more efficient involve reducing the human labour element of the equation. Thus there are few jobs left where men can be "Men". But I'm sure you know that already, right?

8. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

More misguided female stuff. A few facts;

Talk is cheap - as are communications skills;

Hard skills sell - plumbers do better than secretaries;

On a much less antagonistic note, my niece today took a sticker off it's backing paper, all by herself, and put it on her T-Shirt. Took my nephew another few seconds to catch on, but she did it first, and regardless of this entire debate, I'm pretty happy about that.

What you and everyone is is forgetting is that women gravitate towards the common skills like communications - and simple economics dictate that an excess of supply of a service over corresponding demand lowers the price of that service.

Now, going back to my niece, I intend to initiate a policy that will OVERstimulate her spatial and mechanical skills, so as to compensate for the innate weaknesses therein. I want that Pharms company in 2023 to take her on because she's GOOD - not to fill up their Equal Opportunities quota. No PR bimbos in MY family, thank you....

Jaybee.

9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I wasn't going to comment, but after hearing an interesting medical report on the news...

Apparently women tend to have a larger corpus collosum, which means that the two brain hemispheres communicate much better with eachother than in men. In men, the individual hemispheres prefer communicating only with themselves, causing men to be much more decisive.

This would explain why men are better at theoretical sciences, and women at observational sciences like biology.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Women are better at biology?

11. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

And she's only twelve years old. I guess the intelligence level runs in the family.
    No man, I am totally kidding on that. It is cool to see that note of positivity in your post, caring about someone, loving them even. It reminds me of what I have been thinking about for you to do that will give your ego a much bigger boost than taking credit for being born a man. Go teach someone something about sales contracting, or whatever it is you excel at. I think you will find that a great deal of respect for your real talents and positive qualities will be worth much more than bashing people.

12. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

spuriousmonkey,

Or so I hear...
    That was the case in my high school biology classes anyways. Aren't they better at tearing apart cadavers and identifying organs?

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That is not science. That is undergoing the educational process.

14. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Ha, a lot of people here only come to let off steam, as is the case all over the Net. Offline, I bet even that KeinGedanken chap has been known to put a few coins in charity boxes...

I love helping people, male AND female, achieve. Today's women are FAR more skilled at science than 17th century men; I have to concede that women in the 22nd century will therefore be proportionately further advanced than present day men. My point is that every man, women and child has ENORMOUS mental potential; yes, you guessed it, I am an advocate of gene manipulation to improve our species.

All I've said, this whole time, is that women are, by their nature, attracted to the talky, feely subjects than to the mechanistic/abstract ones. Of course, there are female Programmers and male hairdressers, but if I had a magic needle for the human race, I'd bring us ALL up to full power; male Corpus Collossi would be as active as females, and women would feel themselves just as attracted by car mechanics as they do learning foreign languages (and vice-versa for men).

What I've railed at this whole time is society being so blind to the true differences between men and women - yes, I've used some very corrosive and explosive language to draw attention.

Once I've marshalled my own experiences into written form I'll start a separate thread explaining why men outearn women.

Jaybee

15. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Whooohhh. Be careful with that one.

How interestingly you put it!
    Sorry, but I just could absolutely not resist this comment.

And you sure are making a great example of this.

The part in bold means "the chap with no thoughts".

16. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

No kidding? I speak French and German (howzat for communication skills?), so the possibility exists that I MIGHT have known what I wrote prior to writing it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  17. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

so you just been troling this whole time -not really trying to discredit all feminism ?
    There I must agree with you, exept that women are already more advanced than men will be by next century..

What is your job then - are you a teacher or careerrs guy?

wouldnt that be awesome? If we were all like genius professors and sports stars at once.. but if everyone was as super as eachother, thered be no celebs or champions or prize winners for anything maybe.. no point people competing at anything bcause no one would ever win

18. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Ha, not ALL feminism; I agree with feminists that women are mistreated by society, but I disagree that women CAN be equals in the truest sense; I propose to narrow (but not close, we can't do that until those in-utero injections I talked about) the gap between female and male performance in the workplace, by starting in the schools. For example, when I was 14, my school in 1982 gave all pupils a straight choice between Technical Drawing (Draughtsmanship, if you're American) and Spanish. No prizes for guessing how the gender distributions played out; there was only one guy learning Spanish, and one girl learning TD. Ha.

I'd force equal numbers into those classes, whether they want to or not. But once inside, I want to make science sexy for girls and likewise foreign languages for boys. Rather like taking a bunch of unwilling construction guys on a tour of an art gallery; chances are, one of those guys will find himself fascinated by something he would otherwise never have been exposed to, and come back on his day off.

Like I said, I only expect all of this to have a limited effect; once girls become women, they have free will, and with free will, they tend not to get involved in Aeronautics, or racecar driving. You can take the horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Suffice to say I'm a businessman. Sorry to be secretive, but my market position hinges upon the exclusivity of what I sell, how I sell it etc. I don't reveal these when meeting strangers, and very definitely cannot publicise it on the Net. I suppose I could email it to you, but then I'd have to trace your IP address and kill you...

The structure of society would change, so that Bus drivers would be as intelligent as CEO's, but prefer to drive buses than make merger decisions. Earnings would still be determined by varying ambition, but not longer by varying ability. But the overall quality of our society would DEFINITELY improve; you'd have no ugly people, no deformities, no congenital defects, no obesity, no anorexia, no need for Prozac, etc.

19. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

You could hav the boys watch videos with sexy spanish ladies and insist that knowin the language wil improve their chance of scorring on holidaya or in the southern states..

Perhpas more girls would go for hard sciences if it was presented like the life of the world.. knowing physics or geology might be more fun if it seemd somehow organic.

20. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Cole Grey:
    That's why I added this, Mr. Cole Grey:

I don't think in terms of gender, nor define the world by it- the world is full of stupidity and genius regardless of its pissing methods.
    And yes, I concede that history has been suffocated by the male.

However, I'm not going to sit here and do like all these liberals or these brilliant feminists like this wonder that is JennyRater, and deny what's so fucking obvious.

Number one- this thread references not a genetecist, not an evolutionist, but a former treasury secretary (guffaw) turned Harvard director, pointing to research.
    And he sounds as useless as Jaybee.

Number two- we're built differently, hence think differently. Pry a little more into a condition label CAH, where the female embryo is abnormally infused with androgen. They’re born female- tits and all- but act male.

Number three- I’m a brain junky.

Number four- I've seen tons of documentaries concerning hermaphrodites 'fixed' during the 40's and 50's where a doctor disfiguring your baby sans consent was legal.
    These were males and females that grew up psychologically fucked because no matter how the parents tried to hide the truth by giving their little “boy” dolls and the little “girl” trucks in order to train the gender they wanted into them, their body always rebelled.
    Why?
    Biology.

Now, if these facts are not democratic enough for you all then troll through a mall and watch the behaviour.
    Listen to the words they use, how they use them.
    In my electric circuits courses, I was the only female.

In sum, the man has a point- you don't like how he's saying it or that he is saying it at all but he does- yet here is what's funny.

He's a businessman.

Which means he's sitting there with hands as soft as the gel he puts in his thinning hair.
    An effete, fed on sugar and cornmeal like the rest of the macho males eating beer nuts on Friday- the ones that watch football and basketball, not play them.
    He's the intimidating brute with his pinky up playing cards with his buddies.

You put this paragon of masculinity, this testosterone god, this Vulcan, in a battlefield and the little bitch will be crying for his cubicle again.
    This is the kind of man we have over there in Iraq, where the highest fatality in our ranks is 'friendly fire' because these idiots are all just as fed on sugar, and weakend by it but so fucking proud to be 'male'.
    Like Jaybee.

And he's circumsiced.

HA!
    You pussy little wimp, tell me about the contract that didn't come through or did 6 months ago, Mr. Jaybee.
    The cars in your garage or the CEOs as tough and manly as you, the women, the money, the social status- tell me about all the seasonings you sprinkle on your 'masculinity'.

Tell me about what defines you, my little pencil-pusher.
    The gym, the muscles, the penny you put in the charity box, that little niece of yours you keep picking on.
    Your so fucking sexy and virile.

Guthrie:
    You don't have to.
    All of you take something like the Jaybee as a moral low.
    So you all wax self-righteous with the egalitarian, we're-all-equal rhetoric.

Don't let me say it for you- you take the prick for a child.
    Cause you're the adult and so godamned logical in comparison.

I didn't care for 'what counts' when the point was made.

You put a boy or a girl in a room with a barrier separating each from its mother.
    Its been repeatedly shown that the boy gets pissed and tries breaking that physical barrier while the girl will passively sit there and whine.
    I was pointing to underlying biology.

As for the workplace- to further the blah blah- the means of breaking through concrete and blowing up quarries is just as easier today and yet the field continually lacks women. The means for drafting as well.
    According to you, the manager has thousands of applications from females in these fields jamming up his desk, right?

Guthrie, Roman, spiderfishy what the fuck ever. You all look alike.
    I mix you all up here and there, especially in the mood I've been these past weeks.

Haven't you been paying attention?
    Stick this in your eigh track and play it backwards, courtesy of the Backstreet Boys at Sciforums:

~Gendanken is a lonely, hateful beast-whore. She'll eat your children and then go home to hate herself over Baskin Robbins.~

Enough of the silly, I’m not in the mood.

Jennyrater:

Shut the fuck up.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  21. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Point to ponder:

Truthseeker's signature is screaming for sugar.
    All those acquainted with the boy, know why its hillarious.

22. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

That's pretty much the real reason I learned French in the 80's! And in so doing, I also discovered I had a gift for languages that had gone untapped.

Indeed, hard science doesn't have to be dry, but the eggheads who end up teaching it usually present it as such.

23. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

*chuckle*

Checkmate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.