Men are better at Science

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by spuriousmonkey, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You mean if it's a half love slave/half cluster lizard?

Anyway, Congratz, Bells. All the best.
    And maybe you could name it after me if it's some sort of nexus. Or maybe if it's inverted. Whichever works best.

Or maybe Dr. Lou if it's a dingo's kidney?
    We should start a baby naming/insult thread. That'd be fun.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Thank you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As for names at the moment, the father has volunteered Odin if it's a boy or Hela if it's a girl and my father inlaw is pestering us to name it Digby if it's a boy. While I feel some amusement at naming a child after a god of death, I shudder with some repulsion at Digby. It's father has also suggested Hey-You, as a generic type of name to save us having to think up a real name.

As for name insulting thread, knock yourself out. You can't get much worse than Digby... shudders... Apparently it means settlement near a ditch.. Not even I could be that cruel. Beating it regularly with a hose is one thing, but Digby? Shudders

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Well, I think 'Britney', 'Courtney' etc. are understandably out of the question.

IMO, a name should satisfy as many of the following criteria as time permits:

1) It should stand a good chance of remaining relatively exclusive;

2) It should not mean anything ridiculous in any of the top 6 world languages (that said, my name has a military overtone in Arabic!);

3) It should sound diatonically harmonious with the surname;

4) Regardless of how unfamiliar, it should give a fair clue as to the gender of the person; let others name their daughters, 'Gatsby'.

Jaybee.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

if the babys female, call it -
    Alice Gina Irene Rachel Lucy.

if a boy, call it -

Andy Luke Arthur Daniel.

Or some set of names starting wit th those leters...

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Funny how a thread is turned from its subject so easily. But, I think that Gendanken was right when she said that the thread's dead. Now all that remains are aftershocks.

Anyway, on to the more interesting subject of baby names.

How about Science? Works for a boy or a girl.

9. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Aftershocks? Oh dear fellow, I've got plenty of commercial airliners left...

I was looking forward to going up against Bells, as she clearly brought some heavy firepower for her gender here, but I would consider it immoral to rile a pregnant woman. Nine months from now, however, it's open season, by which time I will have dozens more examples of evidence for my case, flooding out of Pilot Training schools, licenses in hand..

I'm having a hard time believing Gedanken is female, I wouldn't put it past someone of his intellect to successfully impersonate a woman, with his twisted psyche, grinning maniacally as he pulls the wool over hundreds of posters eyes at an 'intelligent' forum.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  10. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

This isn't surprising, but gives a nice sound picture for your thought patterns -

do
    re
    mi
    fa
    so boring.
    so prematurely defined.
    so, so-so.

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Bells:
    Don't you see? In order for me to be 'female' my nouns should be ovulating.

(Aside: You're pregnant? I'm a little depressed and envious but, - Congratulations.

Every time you look on that boy or girl count your blessings. This is a planet to beautiful to waste away on the small stuff (like gender issues).
    This planet is what you'll give that child of yours.
    This planet is what I'll never give one of my own.

I don't think I'll ever have the little boy I dream about. You already have yours)

Chug antifreeze.

Not in the mood so....cheers.

12. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Jesus, I'm sorry...keep trying, keep getting different opinions. There are women in their 50's having kids. Take a leaf out of MY book here, although you may think I have a nerve...well, that's exactly why I got as far as I did in business.

I didn't let society keep lying to me about women's REAL position within it, so why should you just accept what the prognosis/ses? Go overseas if necessary, the Medical profession is more often divided than not on such issues.

But hey, none of this matters because I KNOW you're really a man - I mean, how else would you know what Antifreeze is?

Good luck,

Jaybee.

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Why not? If you have a girl just place it in one of those chinese dieing rooms and try again.

Bells,
    I think I should cyber-parent this child of yours.
    IMHO 2 women simply don't have the tools to raise a well rounded individual. Regardless of how well one of them mimics a man.
    We live in the same town too, who knows? Your son might be trying to sell me a house in the future, I don't want people I'm doing business with getting giddy over the bulge in my pants.

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Jaybee:
    Thy tireless, gruesome idiocy......

You have nothing to say to me beucase I agree with you.
    You're only hanging on looking so godamned brilliant.

I can also read resistor bands.
    GASP!
    Oh my god, Gendanken has testes!

I'm a spinster in waiting.

15. Roman Banned Banned

Oh come on you tiresome pussy, quit stalling and try to refute your idiotic contradiction.

16. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

This has started to sound just like the "he or she" thread...

17. Roman Banned Banned

Perhaps we should talk about tigers?

18. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

Perhaps you would care to specify:

1) The contradiction I made (as you understand it, anyway);
    2) Why YOU think it's idiotic;
    3) What on Earth made you think I was trying to refute it.

Make your answers precise, concise, and relevant. The fact that I've asked for clarity so early in our discussion does not bode well for your chances of continuing it with me.

I don't have time for those who waste theirs.

Jaybee.

19. jennyRater Luck B me 2nite Registered Senior Member

then why waste so much of your own writing all that anti feminism stuf?

20. Jaybee from his cast Banned Banned

All that 'stuf' is a service I'm happy to provide. I've successfully shown that that women steer away from the (non-social) sciences in favour of the social ones because, of the two, their brains prefer the social ones, and the gulf in preferences is FAR more marked in girls than boys.

I have found through experience that defending myself against people barely out of their teens is somewhat time-inefficient.

Jaybee

21. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

All you have shown is a huge bias against women that causes you to interpret facts in a way that (falsely) feeds your little baby-bird ego.

You have also shown that you aren't one-tenth the scientist that many women are, so according to you, since career choices are made due to brain differences, you are vastly deficient in the "skills" that make men such good scientists. You use your woman skills - communication - to do your work. You jaybee, you talk-talk all time for job, you woman, ugh ugh, where my club?

You have also shown that you become much more polite when dealing with some of the women who showed up to make you look stupid, because they scared you.

22. Bells Staff Member

Jaybee

Let me guess, your wife gets pregnant and you make her wear pink and a giant bow in her hair, refuse to let her leave the house lest her delicate sensibilities be subjected to the cruel male world and only speak to her in hushed tones so that she is never upset.

Or could it be that you need 9 months to come up with a better argument? And if all else fails imitating OBL is the final solution..

My dear little boy, I'm not riled, merely amused. I am riled however when my head is hanging over the toilet at 2am while the child's dear father is standing behind me telling me that eating something will help the morning sickness pass and then lists what he can make for me... amongst toast, he lists bacon, eggs, steak... all of which make me hurl even more and even while I feel the contents of my body coming out through my mouth, I can still get riled enough to tell him where to go. Pregnant women are not delicate flowers that need to be wrapped in cotton wool. Offer any pregnant woman steak when she's suffering from a severe bout of morning sickness and you'll end up being the one trying to protect your delicates.

And yet none of us could ever assume that you'd ever have the talent or intelligence to pretend to be a woman. Funny that.

Gendy's a she who can read and write. *GASP* Who'd have thought.. a woman doing what only a man is supposed to do. Stop sounding so much like you're a member of the former Taliban regime.

And here you are saying that men are better at being scientific. How about you just don't use yourself as an example to prove your point? Hmmm?

Gendanken

Thank you.

However thinking about the state of the world that this child is being born into depresses me at the moment. It's fast become a place where no-one should raise a child. There aren't many places of beauty left in this world that has not been touched by man's dirty hands. I find it depressing that I'm told by my doctor to not eat larger species of fish due to the toxins they have accumulated in their bodies, because it could pose a direct risk to the foetus. When she told me this, I kept thinking to myself what in the hell will this child have to contend with when it's growing up. Everything is now brought into an even scarier perspective.

Lou

Speaking from personal experience Lou? Is that where you think your not quite right tag stems from?

Yes we do live in the same town. And what you don't know Lou is that I tracked you down, rummaged through your garbage bins to find a used discarded condom, and after a slurp with a turkey baster later.. voila! We have baby. But we'll let my boyfriend believe he's the real father ok? After all, evolution dictates that the female will look to any mate that can best support herself and her offspring. Sadly for this child, I found all the little Barbie underwear, you're obviously fond of wearing judging by the stains you left behind, discarded in your bin after the turkey baster was already successful. So you just don't quite cut it anymore. But get rid of that fetish Lou and you never know... this child might start calling you Daddy after all.

And you don't need to worry Lou, I don't think the child will be walking around with a magnifying glass to try spot that 'bulge' in your pants. We'll just hope that your genes are weak.

23. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Bells said, "And here you are saying that men are better at being scientific. How about you just don't use yourself as an example to prove your point? Hmmm?"

Sorry, I was using him as an example to make him see his real problem and hopefully find other solutions. I'm just a giver, what can I do?

Also, congratulations, you already know you will make it through all of this stuff you're dealing with, but then you get the joy of not sleeping for six months, or a year. One step at a time, I suppose. But, from what my friends say, it is all worth it and I know it will be for you too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.