Meditation...

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Gondolin, Apr 3, 2005.

1. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

Ive read where meditators have developed near crippling deformities from sitting in full lotus for years and years. I sit on my knees with feet crossed underneath buttocks. the spine is naturally straight there. Ill agree the lotus sitting is less painful over time but comfortable? I think I would have to experience that to believe it. Also Im not sure if amusing ones self in meditation is the point. But then I dont know what the point is anyways. Maybe the point is what we want it to be. or variable. shrugs

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

You are the only master of your mind. You can use it to any purpose you desire.

I've always been told that the point of yoga is never to mutilate oneself; only to benefit. That's why, if you do not find the full lotus comfortable, don't sit in that position for too long. But in order for it to not hurt your feet have to be in the right place; the higher up your thigh, the better. I haven't done yoga for over six months, but I just got into a full lotus and the only discomfort I feel is a small stretch in my muscles. So I have no idea where an injury would come from; perhaps from extreme overuse, hehe.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

I used to meditate in many of the ways you have all described, and over a long time "meditation" became integrated with my daily activities. My new self-awareness flowed through my whole life so I don't regret any of the time I spent in "sitting meditation". For me, I needed my new awareness to help raise my children and nurse my aging parents. To help understand my place in the world. Sitting silent and isolated was not an end for me.

I suppose if I had one piece of advice for anyone thinking about meditation, it would be to begin with humility. To think you know anything about anything because you read a book or an Internet site will simply slow you down. Everyone's nature is different, and when you truly open yourself, the right direction will become clear to you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dan74 Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Watcher, for a beautiful piece of advice in this debate. I'd just like to add that Transcendental meditation or TM, can have some serious pitfalls (check the info on the web). The safest way is to go with the tried and true, what's been around for centuries, like Buddhist meditation (and having a teacher you can turn to when things come up). Zen meditation can seem amasingly simple and pointless, it throws you back on yourself with your pain, issues, restlessness, doubt and ambition. It's not about mind trips (though all sorts of things can happen). It's not about bliss (although that can come and go too). It's about reality. Inner reality, outer reality and their union. (sorry that's not a great way of putting it!) If that sort of thing appeals, then find a Zen temple (or a different Buddhist temple, like the Thai Forest monks' tradition) and see what they say. If you care about the Truth of life, then this is a good way to go. If you like a quick fix or more control or bliss or special powers, then there are gurus around that will be happy to take your money!

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I prefer the "discover yourself" way.

9. dan74 Registered Senior Member

What is this "yourself" that is discovering the way to discover your "self"?
    If your self is as yet undiscovered, or obscured, wondering around, stumbling blindly, may not be the best way way to equip yourself for this journey of discovery. On the other hand, maybe your self is not so obscured and you can discover it by yourself? Depends...
    Depends what you are discovering... is it the totality of what is, or just a few pleasant daydreams..

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

No, discover myself the techniques of meditation. That's what I ment.

I have already discovered who I am though I do not fully grasp it yet (also but not only from meditations), there is no need for more research on that purpose.
    I didn't use any guru knowledge, books or something.

11. Sushupti Saver of Babies Registered Senior Member

Do it standing.

Focus on the sensation in your feet. If any thoguhts come into your mind, pay no attention to them. don't fight them, but don't get wound up in them. let them leave you, return focus to the sensation of your feet. [this should get easier with time, when you REALLY start to feel them...]

The usual way though, is to just sit upright and focus on your breath. the thing here is.. it's not about relaxation. It's about pure focus. Your body is what's supposed to relax, not your mind.

12. Anomalous Banned Banned

This may sound funny but it should work for U.

In meditation you must focus on only one and as excluding as possible thought. So here is my solution for your sleep problem. Do your meditation in upright sitting position and instead of concentrating on something else concentrate on your upright posture. Make sittting the only sole focus of your concentration , now even then if you sleep then that should not be a problem because U should be sitting and that is meditation.

PS> if you cant do this then you should improve your concentration instead of meditating.

13. Anomalous Banned Banned

What things ? :m: show some links.

14. Anomalous Banned Banned

Sorry, enjoyability and exploration defeat the aim of mediation.

15. Anomalous Banned Banned

Bingo !

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You have hit right on target. What you said applies to everything we know, thats the essence of being a scientist. But then thats why we are here in htis thread.

16. Yazdajerd Behold... The Bringer of Light Registered Senior Member

Falling asleep while meditating (muslim prayers can be considered too, since they do envolve concentration, recitation and bodily positions) means your mind is overloaded with unimportant thoughts........... try to think only on what you are doing and view any other matter as being unimportant. Don't let anything else trouble you.

Salam.

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

I would like to add to what you said is that. I didnt know about that and I dont care.

The meditation that I do is what I call as "Scientific Meditation".

I started only after I found out the scientific reasons for doing meditation abd scientific methods of doing it.

18. Anomalous Banned Banned

That is a completely wrong and misleading statement.

When your mind is relaxed your body gets the message.

19. Sushupti Saver of Babies Registered Senior Member

That is a completely wrong and misleading statement.

There's relaxing and there's relaxing, there's meditation and then there's meditation.

I'm going for a hindu-type approach; which seems, at least superficially, to agree with the islamic one yazdarjed speaks of.

20. Anomalous Banned Banned

So basically U have decided to do things without understanding, well, go ahead. What can I say its your choice, U made it. Now its U to decide what is more important, ie. to stick to the choice just becuase U made it Or to get real.

21. Anomalous Banned Banned

I think thats the problem with religious fundamentalist specially muslims.

22. Sushupti Saver of Babies Registered Senior Member

Well, at least your'e good for a laugh... I apologize, if I knew you were a troll, I wouldn't have fed you.

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean I don't either, you [EDITTED FOR PEACEKEEPING]

23. Anomalous Banned Banned

Look madam , I am Dumb so if I dont understand then it becomes your moral obligatory duty to explain it to me, I dont like peace I like truth, that gives peace.

Now what is this it.