Meditation Guide

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Zero, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Zero Banned Banned

Just what this forum might need. Anyone who has had experience, please post here. I'm not too knowledgeable myself, but I do know that meditation can promote greater self control and inner stability. Which is what some people seem to lack in some parts of the forums, especially the Religion boards.

First, some religious confirmation that meditation is not blasphemous. We need this because the religious types are the ones who need it badly. Well, at least some of em.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I've always kind of wanted to try meditation, but don't really know how to, I just ... get quite relaxed, but nothing significant.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

meditation

The first act of breathing is our greatest saviour. When pressures build up and demands become overwhelming, the first place that showes signs of stress is the breath, it becomes more shallow and rapid until we are only breathing in the top part of the lungs.When we take a deep breath,filling our lungs all the way down as if into our belly,and then blowing the air out through our mouth,it releases any tension, through the breath we can become quiet more centred,more still.We can focus on our breath at any time, and at anywhere, so that it becomes a true friend.So begin by practising breath release,find a comfortable place to sit with your back and your chest relaxed, take a deep breath in filling your lungs and as you bloe it out let it take all your tension with it, breath out your tension, as you breath deeply say to yourself;soft belly, soft belly, soft belly,.Let your breath fill your belly and soften any tension that is there, do this a few times, then come back to your normal breathing pattern and just watch your breath for a few minutes, just watch it enter and leave your body, then take another deep breath and this time say soft heart soft heart soft heart, breath into the area of your heart the heartspace, and let your breath soften any resistence there may be, breath out tension breath in softness and ease,do this a few times then return to your normal breathing pattern, watch your breath enter your bodt and leave your body, do this for a week maybe half an hour a day. more to follow later.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

There you have it from Blastoff. However just because it is posted in the Eastern Philosophy section, the procedure does not become an eastern religion as some born-agains allege.

I mostly stay away from that section...

8. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

I agree kmguru it does not become an easterd religion.

anyway here is some more.
    THE BODY SCAN
    The body scan enables us to assess our bodies and the tension being stored in different ares, and it helps to release that tension. This can be done at home in a park or even on a train, find a quiet place to sit or lie down somewhere you will not be disturbed for 15 to 20 minutes, for any longer do it lying down with a light blanket over you, settle yourself close your eyes, for a few moments just watch your breath as it enters and leaves your body, all you are going to do is move your mind through your body, area by area, and simlpy pay attentionto the sensations you find, such as tension or tightness tingling or heat, let your breath release and relax, now slowly begin to scan your body starting at your toes, take your mind to your toes.... feet....ankles.... up your legs to your knees and thighs, breath into your legs and feet and feel them releasing and relaxing with each out breath. From the legs bring your attention to your lower back... middle back... and upper back become aware of any ension and releasing it through your breath,now bring your mind to your belly... abdomen, slowly moving to your chest and to your shoulders breathing in and releasing, now start in your fingers and breath into your hands...wrists...arms...elbows and back to your shoulders, breathing and relaxing, take your time and then up through your neck to your jaw, breathing and relaxing, through all the areas of your face, the back of your head and the top of your head, now just breath, let your breath flow through you like waves on a shore, if you want to you can repeat the body scanm but this time do it a little quickly, simply assessing any changes in the way your body feels when you are ready have a good streach before you get up.

9. kmguru Staff Member

Excellent. I use body scan in my teachings extensively. I do not understand why the entire medical community ignores it. It is a methodology that works and has a good scientific basis.....

10. Zero Banned Banned

Ouch. Perhaps some guys here should saunter over to the religion thread (why call yourself a weakatheist) and put some logical atheistic arguments there. I pointed out their purpose behind the thread (they're proselytizing!!! ) and some people bit my head off!!

Wow, those religious types are quite touchy

11. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

firefly are you practicing, well here we go again,

practice -ANYTIME METTA
    this is fun to do, try silently saying,'may you be well' or, 'may you be happy' to each person you see or meet throughout your day, spend one whole day doing this, it is important not to tell them-just feel it in your heart, you can do this to people on a bus,in a shop,at work, in the street or at home. Silently repeat,'may you behappy' when your partner or boss is upset or angry with you,or when someone is criticising you, watch what happens inside yourself,watch who you find it hard to love,there may be aversion,hypocrisy, ridicule or laughter but it will slowly become a genuine feeling, as your heart opens,try silently saying'i love you' to each person, it will show you where you have resistance and even fear,but it will also connect you to your deeper feelings of love, if a day feels easy,try a whole week, let it grow with in you.
    With metta arises compassion, a response of the heart to the suffering in others and in the world, compassion is not a weak and passive state, compassion arises with strength and tenderness mercy and fearlessness, it is compassion that enables us to see ourselves just as we are and to witness the suffering of the world without shying away.

12. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I just meditating for the first time today. And it felt great! I felt like I was floating on air when I was done. And of course meditation works. The mind is very strong and by meditating your bringing a calmness over your mind. Everyone needs to do it, especially nowadays, they way life is so fast paced. Its good to sit down and think of nothing for a little bit each day.

Take care

13. Zero Banned Banned

Yes. Something some hotheads in the religion forums might need...(you'll find out who it is...he'll probably explode when he sees this and post a reply here

)

14. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

I hope what i have posted here is helping somebody out there, i will keep posting just incase it is.

HEALING HEART
    this meditation brings healing through the heart, find a comfortable place like always,close your eyes feel relaxed and at ease with yourself, let all thoughts of the day fade away,become aware of your physical body, repeat silently to yourself three times.'i am aware of the whole of my body', visulise your body as if it were a temple,you are in this temple your whole life, know that it is a blessing, a gift you have received with deep appreciation and thankfulness.It is in this temple that healing takes place, a healing that brings you closer to yourself, your peace,the love that is within you.
    Now become aware of your breath,of the incoming and outgoing breath,feel that your is your best friend,always there for you, get closer to your breath,become more familiar with this friend, the closer you come to your breath the greater the inner feeling of peace,like a close friend who knows you well. If thoughts come into your mind see them as if they were birds in the sky and let them go,now focus your awareness at the heartspace in the centre of your chest breath into this space,breath into your heart, the heart is unconditional lovethat supports your whole being,nourishing your whole body,emdraceing you completely breath into your heartspace and let that feeling hold you, breath out any tension, your heart is like a flower opening and loving.visualise in your heart a red rose-see the petels and the colour,smell the fragrance,feel the rose openingas you breath into your heart, softening and releasing any resistance,know that you are love,that your true nature is pure loving energy,embrace yourself in your heart,hold yourself in your heart gently , and feel any tension softening and dissolving,this love is healing you silently repeat to yourself may i be well may i be happy may i be healed,release any resistance that may arise,any reason why you should not be well any feelings of not being worthy of happiness,keep berathinginto your heartfeeling thids love for yourself as if you are a beautiful flower.

more to come. if anyone so wishes

15. Zero Banned Banned

nice!! We should get more experts here.

16. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

Inner conscious relaxation, you can do this anywhere, find a comfortable place to sit or lie down where you will not be disturbedyou may want to play some gentle,quiet music,if you are sitting try to use a straight backed chair and have both your feet flat on the floor,(not crossed) and your hands on your thighs palms upwards, if lying down have your feet slightly apart and your arms by your side palms upwards, close your eyes begin to be aware of your breathing.just watch the movement of the breath as it enters and leaves your body,start to feel yourself relaxing as you breath,breath out tension and breath in ease,watch and count for ten breaths.now bring your awareness to your right foot,tighten your muscles,hold,then completely let go and relax your foot,do the same with your right calf;tightening,holding and then releasing,now the right thigh;tighten,hold and release, then the left foot,left calf,and left thigh,both legs are now relaxed and at ease,breath into your legs and feel them letting go,now go to the roght buttock and the left buttock;tensing holding and releasing,work your way up to the whole of your back;the lower backmiddle back,upper back;tighten,hold and release letting go ,keep breathing,now the lower abdomen,the midriff,the chest, then move to your right hand,lower arm and upper arm,right shoulder,then the left hand lower arm,upper arm and left shoulder;tensing holding and releasing,now both arms are completely relaxed and letting go,breath into both arms,now move to your neck,relax all your muscles in your face and then the whole of your head, feel the whole body relaxing,releasing,letting go,repeat silently to yourself, my body is released and relaxed, my heartbeat is normal, my mind is calmabd peaceful,my heart is open and loving,repeat this three times,then bring your attention to watching the flow of your breath for a few minutes,letyourself sink into the natural rhythm of the breath as it enters and leavesyour bodydo not try to change your breathing patterrn just move with the natural flow,now visualise yourself sitting on a beach the heat of the sun warming your back and he sound of birdsong in your ears feel the rhythm of the waves as the rhythm of your breath,the in and out for this rhythmis the rhythm of all life of the universe,become one with this rhythm for a few moments let it flow through you when you are ready let the visuliation fade takea deep breath and let it out become aware of your surroundings,then gently open your eyes and have a good strech.

17. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

INNER CONSCIOUS RELAXATION, First remove any watches, belts or glasses that may restrict the flow of your energy, find a quiet place to lie down,have a blanket to lie on,with a pillow under your head, your arms should be parallel to your body with palms upward legs slightly apart and eyes closed,if you need to sit use a straight back chair and sit with both feet flat on the floor, with hands resting palms upwards on your thighs, take a deep breath and let go, your eyes are closed but you are not asleep your awareness is in the space between sleep and wakefulness, it is important to stay awake and focused, this is not a concentration or meditation, you keep an unbroken stream of awareness, RIGHT FIRST, start by relaxing your body mentally,do this by bringing your awareness to your toes and working your way up through your body, use your mind like a flashlight, releasing tension where ever it is, toes..feet..ankles..calves..knees..thighs..buttocks..back..genitals..pelvis..stomach..navel..chest..fingers..hands..wrists..elbows..upperarms..shoulders..neck..head.. now become aware of your breathing as you follow these instructions, stay with your breath, also repeat to your self silently i am aware i am practising inner cinscious relaxation, say this three times,now create a resolve,a sankalpa it should be a statement or affirmation concerning your life that is uplifting inspiring and meaningful to you, say your resolve three times, at the end of the practice when you hear the words peace.peace.peace.again repeat this resolve to your self three times. RIGHT SECOND PHASE, you should be ready for the second stage, rotation of consciousness through the various parts of your body,as part of the body is mentioned repeat it to your self silently and try to visulise the part in your mind,moving slowly through the body begin right hand thumb..second finger.. third finger.. fourth finger.. fifth finger.. palm.. wrist.. lower arm..elbow..upper arm..shoulder..armpit..waist..hip..thigh..knee..calf..ankle..heel..sole..ball of the right foot..the big toe..second third fourth fifthtoe.. left hand thumb.. second finger.. third..fourth..fifth..fingers..palm..wrist..lower arm..elbow..upper arm.. shoulder.. armpit.. waist.. hip.. thigh..knee..calf.. ankle.. heel..sole..ball of the left foot..the big toe..second thrir..fourth..fifth.toe..right shoulder blade.. left shoulder blade.. spinal cord..the whole of the back..the left buttock.the right buttock. genitals..pelvis..centre of the chest..neck..chin..upperlip..lower lip..both lips together..nose..nose tip..right cheek..left cheek..right temple..left temple..right ear..left ear..right eye..left eye..right eyelid..left eyelid.. right eyebrow..left eyebrow.. centre of the eyebrows.. forehead.. top of head..back of head.. whole of head.. then whole body.. awareness of the whole body maintain awareness of youe breathing for a few moments, i will post the rest of the phases next time but if any one wants to practice this then please do so and let me know how you feel.

18. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

Is my postings on meditation helping anybody or shall i stop, let me know please,

19. Zero Banned Banned

It really helps. I keep reading it, so please do not stop!!

20. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

For you zero / third phase now we work with the pairs of opposites, start by creating the feeling of heaviness in the physical body,feel as if your legs are heavy..your buttocks are heavy..also your back your arms your chest head..and your whole bodyis feeling heavy..feel as if though your whole body is sinking into the ground and is getting heavier and heavier, feel as if your body is so heavy you cannot even lift your arms, visualise what it is to be heavy..a lead weight..stay with this feeling for a few minutes.
    now create the feeling of lightness in the physical body.. what is lightness? a feather is lightbring the feeling of lightness to the body..to your fingers..palms..arms..stomach..chest..back..legs..shoulders..neck..top of the head.. your whole body is light..feel as if your floating off the ground, stay with this feeling for a few moments, now what is the feeling of coldness? can you create the feeling of coldnes in your body? your hands are cold.. your feet ..your buttocks.. your back.. you can feel a chill in your spine your cheeks your head.. and your whole body is now cold and getting colder, what is cold? it is a wintryday when you walk in the snow create coldness in your whole body, stay with this for a few moments, now create heat what is heat? create the feeling of heat in the palm of your right hand then in your left hand then in the sole of your right foot and then in the sole of your left foot then go on to your stomach your chest your lips your eyes your head create heat in your whole body it is a hot summer day as if you are in a desert at noon you feel the heat you are sweating, stay with this feeling for a few moments. next phase will follow shortly,

21. Zero Banned Banned

Awesome. The state should support and fund research on this, and maybe include sessions in schools. It would work wonders for the US. It seems to be in desperate need of meditation and its benefits.

22. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

Thanks zero now you are ready for the next stage of ICR visuliation, become aware of your heart, your heart is like a beautiful flower that when open reveals a great love, a great peace, feel as if you are going on a journey into the heart, the visuliations will take you deeper into this reservoir of pure love, this is the experience of the essence of your being. right visualise a red rose..see the rose,it's colour and texture..smell it's sweetness..visualise it openingand feel that your heart is also opening,visualise the small flame of a candle..see the candle flame getting bigger and bigger..feel the warmth of the flame. visualise a mother embracing her newborn child..feel the unconditional love that exists between these two, visualise a church..inside the church the congregation is immersed in prayer, visualise smoke rising from a chimney..inside the house a fire is burnng in the grate...people are gathering around the fireplace...there is a feeling of friendship and love, visualise someone rowing a boat on a lake.. you can see the ripples made by the oars and the calmness of the water...you can see the stillness at the bottom of the lake, visualise the virgin mary... she is full of mercy, visualise children playing in a green field, visualise a full moon on a starlit night. Now imagine in your heart that you are walking along a beautiful sandy beach... the blue sea is calm, the sun is shining and the sky is clear, you are alone on the beach it is early morning...in the distance you see a figure coming towards you... as you get closer you see it is a holy manhe is smiling with a look of great tenderness and compassion...his body is glowing..you can feel great love emanating from him, as he greets you his peace enters you like a warm friendly emdrace, a feeling of unconditional acceptance and love..you walk along the beach together,and as you walk you notice that he leaves no footprints in the sand.
    Peace peace peace become aware of the resolve that you made at the beginning of the practice..repeat it three times to your self..now become aware of your breathing,watch the inhalation and the exhalation... continue for a few moments..become aware of the room you are in..move your fingers and toes..externalise your consciousness..keeping your eyes closed..the practice of ICR is overwhen you are ready slowly roll over on your side,then gently sit up.take a few minutes watching your breath, have a smile on your face, later on zero we will practice INNER CONSCIOUS RELAXATION NO 2 TOGETHER if that is ok with yourself my friend.

23. julia christa Registered Member

meditation/mediation

I heard it said that prayer is when you ask a question
    and meditation is when you listen for the answer.

I meditate every day... breathing is just like dying and being reborn. There's always that split second in between the inhale and the exhale when the body is deprived of oxygen and doesn't know if that was the last breath... and then you breath again. You are reborn.

There is a meditation called the "don't know mind"
    You sit, and every time a thought or image comes to mind, you simply say, aloud, "I don't know"

Letting go. Detachment. Surrender. I don't dig on the meditation as a contemplation of some THING. Searching for some ANSWER.

I think in words, all the time. My brain is translating the color red into the word "red" and the clouds into descriptions of clouds. It's madness.

I went to the ocean once and sat on a log and decided that I would not leave until I had ceased to think in words. A couple hours later the panic began to set in... I thought I would be there forever. I would sleep there. Could I be that stubborn? Would my will be strong enough? Had I crossed the line and lost my mind and from now on I would be the mad girl on the beach who will not leave because she can only think in words? But then it happened.... I noticed something strange about the waves. The motion, didn't seem as I thought it was. I saw that the entire ocean rose and fell behind the waves. Rising up like a giant chest taking a breath, sucking the wave back into itself after it broke. I saw the ocean take a breath.... I felt the whole thing in my body, a giant chest with fleshy lining at the bottom of the sea, and ripples and ribs and skin and innards. Mother earth. It was disgusting and sublime. It blew my mind.

Sometimes I just meditate by playing with the floaters in my eyeballs. That game is always good. Those little wormies can keep me entertained for hours.