Medical errors now third leading cause of death in US

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Plazma Inferno!, May 5, 2016.

1. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Still, I think the "bizarre dysfunctionality central to the US health care system" is central here: the report notes that deaths due to "medical error" do in no way necessarily reflect incompetence on behalf of the medical practitioner (or diagnostic tools, for that matter), but are rather more a product of "systemic problems."

I was gonna say something about going from cathedrals being designed with lower frequency, and subharmonic, wavelengths in mind, to placing subwoofers in automobiles (?!) here, but my head hurts and this tangent isn't as obviously relevant as I curiously thought it was...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Have you read the study? Have you assessed the methodology of the study? How uncertain are you? Do you think the figures may be only half of what was quoted? A tenth? Double?

Why would you think this? If someone dies as the result of a gunshot wound that is not a death due to a medical error. If someone dies because they were given the wrong blood having suffered a gunshot wound then that is a death due to medical error.

I think you are saying that most people who die are officially declared dead by a doctor. If that is what you are saying then that is true, but so what. This was a study of death caused by medical error, i.e. someone made a mistake and the patient died as a consequence. Why are you having trouble understanding that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Keep in mind that this study pertains to the U.S. I'm sure that most are officially declared dead by a doctor, but I suspect that a sizable number are declared dead only in a "semi-official" capacity, by their assassins who subsequently dissolve them in acid; dismember, mutilate, and disperse them over a wide region; or fill their pockets with rocks and throw them down-river. Not especially relevant, but then, not wholly irrelevant either.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Yikes. Apologies for the bizarre responses to iceaura and Ophiolite above. I was sick and I sometimes get kinda weird like that for that for a few days afterward. Don't know where I was going with the officially unaccounted for deaths, and I think the wavelengths bit was something to do with progress and knowledge deficits and whatnots, but I'm not entirely sure.

That said, I stand by my ire on the previous page: not understanding why I might be angry over such a thing is bad enough, but to surreptiously imply that I do not take care of my mother... well...

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Thank you for the apology. Not everyone is so thoughtful. I did find your response bizarre, but certainly not offensive.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

? No problem my share. Seemed like a reasonable paragraph to me, made a sensible point directly relevant to my post, set out to expand and went bit loopy - not the first wandering thought to go kaleidoscopic in a cathedral.