Meaning?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by truestory, Nov 5, 1999.

1. truestory Registered Senior Member

What does the following mean to you?

No one who lights a lamp conceals it with a vessel or sets it under a bed; rather, he places it on a lampstand so that those who enter may see the light. For there is nothing hidden that will not become visible, and nothing secret that will not be known and come to light. Take care, then, how you hear. To anyone who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he seems to have will be taken away.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Truestory,

Funny you should bring this up. It sounds like a variation of Matthew 5:14-16:

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

But it also sounds a great deal like a message I recently received during my search for the truth - one of those things I would never be able to adequately explain to someone like Boris, for example. I was basically sending my question out to the universe, "With all the lies and deception out there, how can I know what's true?" To make a long story short, I was told to shine whatever light I had on the thing I wanted to see, and the truth would be revealed. And if that wasn't enough, I should get closer to it so that I could focus whatever light I had on it, and if it was still hidden, I should try looking at it from a different angle. The promise I had was that if I wanted badly enough to know the truth it would eventually be revealed to me, but I had to make the effort to see it, and use my "light" (what I already know) to see it more clearly. Then it would be added to my existing knowledge and make that light even greater.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori Registered Senior Member

I would interpret that to mean to not hide your faith. To walk in faith with Christ, for all to see. After all, you can not live your life for Christ in a closet. The truth is shown to others through your own faith. Funny, I was just talking about his same thing with someone who is trying to get closer to God. Worried about other people's perceptions of him. Like "oh, no he's going to church to become a holy roller, ugh" type reaction from people. I am familiar with this situation. But ultimately, you and you alone are responsible for seeking the truth, and your own salvation, and no one else's. The best approach is to seek the truth, go to church alone if you have to (if your spouse or family doesn't want to), and then light your candle. Now, there's a line between lighting that candle and putting it out for all to see and cramming the candle down someone's throat. But if your family or friends or whoever sees your candle and sees the peace and love in you, then they will be interested on their own.

------------------
    God loves you and so do I!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FyreStar Faithless since 1980 Registered Senior Member

truestory -
    Replace the "light" euphemisms with "truth". That fairly well sums up my feelings on the writing.

FyreStar

8. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Truestory,

Do you know much about the Qabalah? Just wondering...

9. 666 Registered Senior Member

Truestory,

I've seen what I am going to say posted here before, but did not see a thoughtfull response so I will ask it again. If the candle is placed for all to see (so they may see the truth), why is the bible shrouded in double meanings? I see all the double meanings as a ploy to confuse and manipulate those who read and belive in it. I know the bible's orign is suposed to be from the influance of God through the authors of the various books, but in the end it was writen by humans. Humans seem to have a tendency to lust for controll, look at crime on the individual level and on the national level. It can all be boiled down to controll. Back when the bible was written could it have been used as a means of primitive law and order, and eventualy became curupted? If this were the case, in my opinon this would be a great show of how pepole read what ever they want to see.

I sure wouldn't want to place a candle under my bed, it would set the whole place on fire.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    The Belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it
    seems to me the depest root of all evil that is in the world
    -Max Born

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited November 06, 1999).]

10. truestory Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

No. I don't know too much about Qabalah.

From what I have read, it is a system of living based on a map of consciousness called the "Tree of Life" and its various paths. Although it is believed that there is more to life beyond what is termed "veils of containment," Qabalah is more more concerned with "this side of the veil" or, in other words, relationships of the here and now... Inclusion of ourself in the big picture of life, deep relationships based on mutual respect, planetary harmony, use of the Tree of Life as an agent of change... healing ourselves in order to heal others.

It gets much deeper than that. Are you studying Qabalah or considering it?

11. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Truestory,

Just beginning to study it. Considering what you do know about it, how do you feel about it from a Christian perspective?