McCain VP

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mr.Spock, Aug 23, 2008.

1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

The point is that none of them are clean. They all have their own little scandals.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, I am more excited about her, than Biden, that's for sure. Guys, look up the name of her children!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I'm watching her speech right now and she's certainly a better speaker than McCain. But any excitement over this will certainly die down once the reality of the decision hits.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The funny part is that there are a bunch of people there who theoreticly didn't know whom they come to cheer for!

I can't believe but she has just mentioned: CHANGE

P.S.: Also I would like to hate a woman for once...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Sarah Palin... I'd hit it.

9. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Here's further proof that McCain has no integrity. I give Cindy major kudos for the adoption, but it's a shame that McCain won't bring her along the campaign trail with him. Instead he hides her from the public.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Hah, after her talking of being commander of Alaska's national guard, I just had to look this up. Approximately 1850 soldiers!

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Since when has ANYthing in ANY presidential campaign been hidden from the public?

Isn't school a better place for...ummm...school aged children?

12. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Sarah Palins daughters looked like they were still in school. And they were there live and direct with Gov Palin.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And all scandals - even the ones that turn out not to have been scandalous, on second take - are created equal.

So we add up the scandals of Barack's pastor, which turns out to be sort of not there (man's a military vet of unquestioned patriotism and competent service), a guy he met on a committee who used to be a Weatherman, his wife's old college papers, where he went to kindergarten, and whether he paid enough for a house in Chicago side connected to a corrupt fixer whom other politicians had done shady deals with, but not Obama.

And we compare that with McCain's long list of lobbyist canoodlings, financial entanglements, contractor scuffling, special legislation, temper tantrums, and so forth,

and now this odd choice of an already scandal-involved governor of less than two years.

Possibility: Palin was the only one who passed vetting. Her better ethics and limited opportunity has kept the skeletons mostly out of the house, and there may not be too many Republicans around that is true of. Compared with the running behavior of Reps lately, improper use of influence to influence the firing of just one cop probably doesn't even register on the scandal meter at Rep central.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Mr. Spock has probably been watching NBC. They have been covering her for a long time, and in her most recent interview with NBC she pretty much came out and admitted that she was the VP...that was last week.

She is a definate hottie!!!

It appears McCain is trying to do a U turn on position again. When he first attempted to gain the presidency he was a reformer...a man for change. Then after bush II came to power, he became a bushie incarnate. The strategy worked to get him the party nomination. But it has not done well for him with the general population. So now he appears to be pulling another about face and going back to the change theme two months before the election. This guy flip flops faster than a fish out of water. The question is, can he succesfully pull off this flip flop? Will it turn off a lot of his base?

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Or, it's not really a scandal.

I know Bush has given you people a pretty bad view of conservatives, but we're not all idiots. (I promise.)

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

So Palins and McCain have to have the same opinions of the appropriate place for their children?

If McCain was dragging them around the country, you would probably be bashing him for his shameless spotlighting of his children.

Either way, this isn't really "politics". You're not talking about McCain's energy policy or Obama's Environmental Jobs Initiative (which, in my opinion, is the only reason to vote for him)... Instead you want to post pictures of McCain's children and attack his integrity? Awesome.

17. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

The base is getting smaller and smaller and is a lot less important now compared to the primaries. The Palin pick should help soothe the social conservatives, the reformer McCain angle should help with the independents. The question is whether or not the two will work together to help McCain or clash. I can see many independents and conservatives who aren't McCain fans be turned off by the Palin pick.

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

One thing obviously of major importance in this VP selection was the 18 million Hillary votes. I for one, considering John's age, think being qualified to be President on day 2 should have been a higher consideration.

It is going to be hard for John to attack Obama with the "not qualified to be Cmd. in Chief" with this choice. Obama has shown a good defense - (Judgement, not tactical command skills, is what is needed.) - Obama judged it not wise to invade Iraq, and John is STILL wanting to stay and continue to "win" (100 years if need be!).

I mean the lady no disrespect but does this self-confessed "socker-mom" mother of 5, with months old baby in arms even know where Iraq is? Not that John is much better informed. - He said that Ben Lauden is hiding on the Iran/Packstan border, and that was not a "slip of the tounge" - just his failing memory or lack of knowledge or perhaps does not know that the 9/11 terroists came from Afghanistan and were funded by GWB's friends in Saudi Arabia. 80% (16 of the 20 sent) were Saudi nationals. - (One missed his plane as he was in jail on 9/11) US did not hit Saudi Arabia and did hit Iraq for the same reason -oil. (Saudis were selling it to US and Iraq to France's Total)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

This is a HUGE Flip Flop for McCain. He is changing from the Status Quo Experience arguement to the Change rational for his election. Once again his is following Obama strategy. The question is can he pull this off without damaging his credibility. The guy has been all over the place on positions and strategy. So the bottom line is can he do it?

20. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

That's because Karl Rove is now in charge of the McCain election campaign. Even though Rove isn't officailly running the campaign Steve Schmidt is Karl Roves protege, and this VP pick has Karl Rove written all over it. Karl Rove is all about manipulating people's emotions. And this is an emotional appeal to all the disgruntled Hillary supporters.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You are contemplating electing, as President, a candidate deeply (legally) involved in and responsible for the S&L debacle, the launching of the Iraq War, the military contracting sewer, the attempted privatization of Social Security and the Plan D pharma boondoggle, the privatization of military support, the immigration mess, and the current Mortgage Banking scandal.

He has exhibited confusion about the identities of enemies with whom we are currently at war and the facts of past involvements in wars he himself has fought, and at the age of 72 after several terms in the Senate does not know how Social Security is supposed to work.

He has surrounded himself with, and gets his campaign and policy advice from, paid lobbyists for foreign governments of bad character and multiinational corporations with whom the US government does business and whom it is supposed to regulate.

His chief financial adviser - an area that used to be considered his major weakness before he started confusing Iran and AQ - is and has been for years Phil Gramm. Phil Gramm was instrumental in the 80's S&L deregulation that gave us a 500 billion dollar taste of what was possible. But he outdid himself with the banking deregulations of '99 and '00. That looks like it's going to cost the US something in the order of 2 trillion, not counting hardship and risk of collapse. So Phil has elevated his game over the past twenty five years of friendship with McCain.

He supported the appointments of Sam Alito and Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court.

And now he has chosen Ms Palin, the pride of a Chicago suburb's worth of people, with her journalism and poli sci degrees from a second tier college, two years experience on a relevant job already coming under legal scrutiny, and genuinely whacked-out takes on things like fundamental scientific theory and religious experience, to take over the entire country if one of his four cancers relapses not that unexpectedly, or his senility trend accelerates.

And that earns your vote. Along about here the claim of not being an idiot meets the insight of Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does".

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Wow... I mean wow, When I saw his pick it just blow my mind, I lost consciences for a few minutes. Anyways I have to tell any anonymous wall my opinion on this to relieve the temporary insanity.

This is a very VERY risky move for mccain that could assure his complete victory or assure his total defeat, it all depends on how the democrats counter and how well mccain's VILF performs on the campaign trail. First of all the democrats need to get every women they have to speak out against her, can't have a man do it or else it will look sexist, also pointing out the hypocracy of mccain saying experience matter and then choosing a highly inexperienced running mate may help but only a little, but in general the democrats must hit all the right buttons or else they will lose this horribly, and considering the democrats usual idiocy in campaigning I think they better be digging their graves, just in case.

All in all this depends on how well the VILF performs: if she is anything like Geraldine Ferraro was to Walter Mondale in 1984 then mccain might have just shot him self.

There are so many huge pro/con to this choice it really just upped this election to a high level of epic and unpredictable, this election if anything else is going to be really fucking entertaining, place your bets now because this is like a 10 superbowls and the olympics all in one!

Pros
    -She a women, she will suck in some women including some ex-hillary voters
    -She young, she will suck in some young people
    -She a VILF, she will suck in some sexlexic men
    -Historisty just upped a notch, BAM!: how to compete with the first black president when your only claim to fame would be to be the oldest dull white male president their has ever been? why not have the first women vp!

Cons
    -McCain's choice of her has insulted some women because of its easy interpretation of being chosen solely to get the female/ex-hillary vote because of her genitally alone, while limiting any choice based on the quality of character.
    -Lacks experience: thus putting a hypocrisy wrench in mccain arguing against obama duplicate of Aberham Lincoln resume of experience.
    -Not a good move to get the old core GOP behind you, Mitt Rommney or some other solid republican would be a more sane choice, but the strategy is that the old core GOP will bit their lips and vote for mccain no matter what so it best to try to get the others, some old GOP though are likely offended and may, just maybe, not vote, let alone vote for a "wimpy underage terrorist nigger" (their thought pattern).

Thats all I can think of right now anyone want to add a few?

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Here's a video of Palin on the Glenn Beck show:
    The first one is her talking about a lawsuit Alaska filed to try to force the federal government to allow Alaska to drill for oil. The first half is just Glenn Beck, Governor Palin comes in about halfway thru.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3jnbiHAMuY
    And here's the transcript of Glenn Beck making the case for Palin as VP.
    And what's this crap about her being inexperienced? She's the only one on either ticket with any executive experience! Not only that, she's the most popular governor in the country!
    To get elected governor of Alaska, she had to defeat an incubnent of her own party in the primary and then go on to win the general election. She's only the 14th person in the history of the US to defeat an incumnent governor in the primaries and then win the election.