McCain/Obama Debate.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ganymede, Sep 25, 2008.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The debates are Obama's and McCain's only chances to contribute usefully to the response to this disaster. They have no other role in the response. They're just ordinary Senators.

If I ever get into the vinyl siding business, I'm coming to your house for my first sale.

So cancel the World Series, or Thanksgiving, or do something else basically harmless that expresses your panic. These debates are far more critical to the response of the United States to this crisis than anything McCain or Obama would be doing otherwise.

I'd like to see most of the bailout postponed to February, anyway. Paulson has already said he would be doling the money out a few billion at a time, so we can give it to him on a similar schedule. We'll have a far better idea of what is needed, then, and we can check out the possibility that the whole thing is a last Big Con by thsi amazing crowd of the utterly corrupt we have been governed by these past few years.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Its going as scheduled as far as i know

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Don't bother to watch, McCain's campaign has already determined he won:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

tell you the truth, i got a feeling something big is going down here. will wait and see in 2 hours.

8. Vkothii Banned Banned

It's the economy, stupid.
    The train wreck that's been scheduled for the last 8 years by Bush/Cheney & co.
    It's going to be a bit more than 2 hours though.

9. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

will see.

10. NGM Registered Member

They ceased to be "ordinary" Senators, (whatever that is), the minute they became the two most likely candidates to be the next President.

Mr. Spock, I too think there may be some unexpected news that will be revealed during this debate. We'll see in 70 minutes.

11. superstring01 Moderator

No surprise. It's common on both sides. They're called "spin doctors" and Obama, undoubtedly, has a swarm of his own.

~String

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

13. superstring01 Moderator

Looks like McCain didn't puss out after all.

Judging from the economic state of affairs, he may have been better served by being absent.

We'll see.

~String

14. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I thought the Debate was pretty even. I thought both candidates were well prepared and expressed their postions very clear and consisely.

15. superstring01 Moderator

I flipped back and forth. "The Soup" kept my attention better than the two candidates. I thought they both spoke well and were evenly matched.

But a Republican pundit actually said it right, "Obama is the underdog. By just standing toe-to-toe with McCain, he wins."

~String

16. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

unfortunately that is true. but i disagree they were evenly matched. obviously McCain is better on foreign policy then Obama naive attitude is. on economics, it sounded to me Obama is less knowledgeable then McCain, and the reality is it is McCain who warned about the crisis in advance.

McCain needs to emphasize the Dems involvement in the crisis. he was able to dent the sticky view its the bush administration fault, but not enough. of course, he got to do it wisely.

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I agree the debate was very close. I'd give it narrowly to McCain. But you could argue either way. Given that Obama is ahead in the polls, you could say it's a win for him. But don't forget about the Bradley effect:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-fauntroy-phd/obama-and-the-bradley-eff_b_120286.html

18. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

in other words we are all just speculating

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

20. Vkothii Banned Banned

Obama isn't in trouble, nor is McCain.

America is the one in trouble: it has a population of voters whose preferences are quite irrational.

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

John mccain did have one screw up that was well unexpected. I am not sure but it sounded like me that he mispronounced littoral. In of its self not bad but come on he is an ex-naval office he should know it.

I felt that Obama clearly won on the economy but foriegn policy was close but lets be honest mccain probably won it.

22. epiman Banned Banned

Great debate in general.

23. Kadark Banned Banned

I thought tonight's debate was horrible in the sense that it reaffirmed what I had suspected all along: both candidates are awful.

All of a sudden, Obama is for increasing military presence in Afghanistan, for targeting certain groups within Pakistan without the Pakistani government's consent, and diametrically opposed to Iran in every aspect conceivable. Obama is a coward who, on the issue of foreign policy, is equally as heinous as John McCain.

John McCain, on the other hand, amply displayed his clueless nature as to how the economy works. More importantly, though, his speech was enveloped in bald-faced lies. No, not embellishments in the name of storytelling, or slight exaggerations here and there: I'm talking about completely untrue statements which serve only to foment future wars. Iran was unfairly demonized to the point where both candidates were on the brink of calling the unfortunate nation a terrorist abode.

I'm especially upset with Obama because, unlike John McCain, I expected a respectable amount of rationality and goodwill from him. I think Oprah and her misguided legion of Obama supporters are dangerously wrong when they say "He is the one", referring to Obama. He isn't the one at all; rather, he's a lying, pandering scumbag who is barely more tolerable than John McCain (that isn't saying much).

Speaking of McCain, how dare he say President Ahmadinejad "threatened to wipe Israel off the map" during last week's UN meeting? He (Mahmoud Ahmadinejad) didn't say anything which would even remotely confirm McCain's terrifying description of Iran's leadership. Perhaps McCain could pinpoint where such statements were made, using the transcript of President Ahmadinejad's speech? I resolutely reject both candidates, and I think they're both Zionist scum. If Americans truly want "change", I can assure them they're not going to get it from a liar like Obama. And they sure as hell aren't going to get it from John McCain.

Kadark

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008