Maybe Milk?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by CutsieMarie89, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's true if I just eat a little bit of it accidentally, although the gas becomes a serious social problem even at that level. But if I eat a whole portion the gas becomes almost painful and I definitely have to be quarantined. I've tried goat milk, Lact-Aid, Bean-o, none of that stuff works.

Fortunately I can eat cream so I don't have to give up ice cream. But I do miss oatmeal and especially Life cereal.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That doesn't settle the question.

Those symptoms (in toto, including the loaf of bread) are consistent with - not proof of, of course, just consistent with - a gluten allergy. In white people gluten allergies are relatively, comparatively less rare, compared with milk intolerance, and worth considering whenever milk intolerance develops in people who have been drinking milk all along. The concurrent oatmeal reaction just underlines the possibility.

In non-white people of course milk intolerance greatly predominates, and the odds are much different.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Why not? Wheat flour is full of gluten, that's how it works. AFAIK wheat has more gluten than any other grain.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And if your eating it is triggering an autoimmune response that damages your small intestine, it might be the root cause of problems with milk and oat digestion.

If you look up "lactose intolerance", you'll find undiagnosed and otherwise asymptomatic celiac disease listed as a cause.

Normally,in the world's population, that's not an important cause of lactose intolerance. Other causes are far more important. But in a white person who had been drinking milk from childhood with no problems, it becomes something to consider.

It's just an odds thing - most people have maybe a one in two hundred chance of reacting to wheat gluten like that. Your odds are higher.