mayan calender 2012

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by whynot, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Sorry every body, there is no other but Me, Just like the bible says . Surprise! I made it to the cross roads of information . Yeah !!! I can dig it Rock and Roll

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aladdin Registered Senior Member

The above resonates very well with what I just happened to read recently:

The Tikal Maya also recognized the tun of 18 months or 360 days,
    always ending on a day Ahau; 20 tun made a katun, of which 13
    made a may and 20 a unit called baktun by modern scholars; 20
    may or 13 baktun constituted a Long Count, altogether 1872000
    days. This latter, instituted by the Olmec (probably in 355 bc),
    began on the completion of the last tun of its predecessor; within it
    the day was identified by the number of elapsed baktun, katun, tun,
    months, and days, by its place in the day-count, and finally by the
    date in the year. The current Long Count began with the ending of
    its predecessor on the day called 0 0 0 0 0 4 Ahau 8 Cumku,
    corresponding to 5 September 3114 bc, and will end on 13 0 0 0 0 4
    Ahau 3 Kankin = 21 December 2012, the winter solstice.

(pag. 106-107, The History of Time - A Very Short Introduction)

If the Long Count takes more than five thousand years then I guess a celebration is in order every time it ends. And no, I'm not surprised the Mayans weren't eager to start plotting each day of the following Long Count.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whynot Registered Senior Member

the last day of fun. so does that mean they believed the end would come?

should we prepare for a big bash on that day?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. whynot Registered Senior Member

well its like this belief on global warming and polar melting. a planets cycle and how it rights its self. flooding and drought, earthquakes, volcanoes, sunamis. effects of the earths change in rotation! is this what they mean?

8. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

"Tikal Maya" Really?

Tin Man rising . Taus Melek , Ti Malice , Tas Mikal , now we got Tikal Maya

Is it just Me or is there a pattern here

O.K. got another one . Lord of the forest. Wonder if that be like a wooden person

Tane Mahuta

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm fairly sure the word you're looking for is "celestial." Your writing is so atrocious that I often skip your posts because they're too much trouble to decipher. Please do us all a big favor and learn to use your spell checker!

In any case, it appears that you have not read (or not understood) the posts in this discussion reminding you that the Mayans did not attach any special importance to this date. It was simply the end of a rather long calendar cycle and the beginning of the next. Nothing more than arithmetic in action, very much like the 60-year repeating cycle of the Chinese lunar calendar, only quite a bit longer.

This whole silly business about 2012 is nothing but woo-woo, invented by a group of ignorant Americans, and eagerly adopted by an even larger group of equally ignorant Americans.

SciForums welcomes the ignorant, because if there's anything they should be trying to do, it's learn.

When you post dreck like this, you're doing them a colossal disservice. Please stop it!!!

10. Gravage Registered Senior Member

Well, it's not their fault that they actually believe in this. I can't understand this mentality. Why are people always obsessed with the end of the world?
    But it's not even the end of the world, it's the end of human race they talk about.

11. CptBork Valued Senior Member

A lot of people are bored with their lives and either looking for an easy way out, or else to gain a new meaning in life by having fate and disaster thrust them into the roles of real-life heroes from some cheesy Hollywood action fantasy.

12. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

We going to be some other species after ? I don't think so . Change is gonna come . That we can count on . I know ,I know this is changing Me

13. keith1 Guest

It's too bad the Mayans didn't get their agriculture, government, foreign relations, city structure, and water supply figured correctly, or perhaps they would still be an influential civilization with a calender they could bank on.

Next.

14. whynot Registered Senior Member

ewww, now slow down fragil rocker, before you rock over. you need to read more thoroughly my posts. i'm not posting anything about end of days. Im posting about celestrial recordings dude. or didn't you figure that out when trying to correct my spelling?

if you don't like the post, than skip over it. Im not making you read it. so take the dictation and blow.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. whynot Registered Senior Member

what are you talking about. we can be wiped out at any moment. im not holding my breath. if the planets cycle is one of harsh conditions or naturally wiping us out, hey nothing i can do about it. im gonna party like its no tomarrow because i need an excuse. lol!

16. whynot Registered Senior Member

Life on this planet will end when the big earthquake hits. When the sea has died, and turned black. When the molten lava takes back the dust beneath are feet. Until than, I wouldn't worry about it.

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Maybe you're the one that should learn to read (besides learning to spell and use grammar and punctuation):

18. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I'm just curious, Whynot...what is your native language?

19. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

looks like American slang to Me . Course everyone is looking like American slang these days.

The one I saw that had Me roaring more than Alphalpha insulting a Christian was Muslim telling a punk rocker he he could suck Me . He said " Suck Me off punk rocker .
    Now that was funny . Ha Ha Ha Ha

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Interesting line of convo' going guys!
    try this:

"The first thing is to consider the very signifcant difference between a scientific prediction and a prophecy.

With a scientific prediction the outcome considered is premised on known or knowable physical material factors. Where as a prophecy is based more on faith, intuition and instinct.

I believe the Mayan peoples of ancient times, prior to the modern era made a conclusive scientific premised prediction for the the date 21/12/2012. And based on that prediction extended to making a prophecy.

The scientific prediction based on knowledge we as humans, generally, do not have access to is that the universe [ not just this world] will come to an end on the dates already mentioned. The prediction is absolute and total with no universal existance existing after that predicted time.

The key to this is the absoluteness of the the prediction.
    The Mayans were not just talking about their world but many worlds [ universality ] further stating that this is the 5th and last generation of the universe. So not only did they talk of end times but mentioned the absolutelness of end times. [ even after 5 generations of universal existance ]

Faith however leads one to entertain the notion that if the prediction is "true" then the only possible solution is to rely upon the universes inherant and powerful desire for continuation and future existance which will being about an event or evolution that only it, the universe as a collective, living conscious organism, can possibly allow to occur.

That being the emmergence of that solution to universal extinction, and that can only be one thing. The emmergence of an omnipotent God that can with single focussed perspective heal and mitigate the causation of his own self destruction.

What it means is that the prediction of absolute destruction , from the universes persepctive is one of self anhilation, a state of self destruction which is in contradiction to it's very need to exist in a sustainable fashion.

The prophecy is based on the knowing or intuitive knowledge of this "will to survive" being a universal constant thus the outcome of the prophecy is predetermined by this inherant need.

• Prediction - Universal end times
    • Prophecy - God emmerges out of necessity to save himself.

Most of the interpretive research material that led to the above opinion has since been pulled from the web for unknown reasons.

An interesting "coincidence" can be found in the number [date] 21/12/2012 if one looks at the "eve" as being the 20/12/2012 we have 20122012 and if one goes to the Biblical book of Revelations and reads chapter 20:12 you will find "Judgement day"

"And the book of life will be opened and all will be judged by their deeds."

How totally unrelated groups of persons could come to such a coincidence is staggering.... Christianity [20:12] vs Mayan [20122012]

Before you post a response please consider that Christianity and in particular Roman Catholicism has a signifcant global following especialy in South America.
    As to the OP I think whynot has put an interesting proposition on the table and certainly one worth entertaining even for simply entertainment value...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011