Matter Making Machine?

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by Swavey, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Swavey Registered Member

Ok I'm no scientist I'm only 15 but I am interested in it. Ok so if the smallest particle is a wave or HiggsBoson(idk) then can it be possible to make a machine that takes a penny and rips it into a bunch of waves and then reforms it into something different? I believe this is very possible. Also isn't dark matter everywhere? So why can't we substitute dark matter for something to hold objects. That sounded crazy idk how to type it in a better way.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Fundamental particles, as least as they are currently understood, have zero size. The Higgs isn't the smallest by size, it is the largest by mass and it requires a lot of energy to make things with high masses. And the Higgs doesn't make up material, it interacts with things which make up materials (ie protons, electrons, neutrons etc) in such a way as to give them inertial mass, else they would all be zero mass particles like the photon.

Rearranging the subatomic structure of materials is possible in principle, the Higgs hasn't had any impact on such a premise nor got us closer to such a device. Particles are not converted into waves by physical processes, subatomic objects have properties with associate with waves and other properties we associate to particles (ie little balls bouncing around), they are not either/or.

A penny can have its atoms rearranged already, that is how we make them but obviously it is done in a rather mundane and mechanical way by melting the metal down and reshaping it before cooling. What you're talking about, the conversion of the atoms into some other particle, could be done using antimatter, which would convert the atoms (and their antimatter partners) into high energy photons. In principle you could capture these and use the energy to make other particles (which is how certain types of radiative decay work) but getting these new particles to arrange themselves into the shape of an object is beyond any kind of understanding we have at the moment. So no, the replicator from Star Trek is not going to be invented any time soon.

As for dark matter the problem is it does not interact with light and it is light which forms the bonds which hold all the atoms in your body together and also the atoms into molecules and the molecules into material etc. Dark matter only interacts with normal matter via gravity and the weak nuclear force, much like neutrinos. Trillions of neutrinos are passing through your body as you read this but its unlikely even one neutrino noticed your body at all, they interact so weakly with normal matter. If you sent a beam of neutrinos into a block of Lead 10,000 light years thick half would come out the other end. Compare that to how easily tunnels block cellphone reception (hell, my computer desk blocks my Bluetooth connection to my phone, it's that crappy!). Dark matter is like that, it barely notices normal matter is there, other than by its gravitational field.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Swavey Registered Member

But is it possible to use dark matter as a plate to hold other matter or is it possible to do this with any other matter? But a matter that is everywhere in the Universe so we could send stuff to another part of the Universe in seconds? This is what I think, I think of it like internet, as soon as you connect your Ethernet cable to your computer u are connected to the internet, what about if we can somehow connect something to universe where the whole universe is graphed so we can send matter to Anywhere in the Universe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.