Matrix Revolutions

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by airavata, Nov 5, 2003.

1. downwithXP Registered Member

***SPOILERS***

Can some1 please explain to me why Neo sees the world in orange! I just do not understand. I've seen it twice now + I'm still missing something.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

(haven't seen revolutions yet) Neo sees the world in orange? Like the amber screens of 15 years ago? Also, why is the matrix .. uhmm what do you call it .. characters scrolling down the screen in monochrome? Not enough memory left over in the graphic cards?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

*SPOILERS*

stopwatch: TOW bombs are the explosive bomb machines that are thrown by Sentinels in Reloaded and launched by the machine city's defenses in Revolutions. They are referred to as TOW bombs on The Matrix website.

jps: I don't think Neo would've had much credibility as a saviour if he was only able to do extrordinary things insdide the Matrix. The "wireless connection" was also a necessary plot point because without it Neo would never have fallen into the hands of the Merovingian, and hence, never have required the rescue effort from Trinity and Morpheus. They also never would've got that dramatic "head shot" of Neo and Bane at the end of Revolutions. I think Neo's persistent connection with the machines also makes it more plausible that Neo isn't completely or confirmably dead, as the Oracle indicated at the end of the 3rd film. He may be somewhere inside the machine world.

When you say they could have done things differently, you are right. Neo didn't necessarily need to have powers in the real world, but for that matter they could've done a lot of other stuff differently, too. Neo didn't HAVE to fly inside the Matrix. He could have been able to teleport, or just have been really, really fast. He could've shot lightning bolts out of his fingers, but instead he defeated enemies over distance by telekinetically stopping their bullets.

I don't think it was unreasonable or inappropriate to give Neo a connection to the machine world that results in powers. I think it makes sense, and adds credibility to the idea that he has greater ability inside the Matrix. As superflouos as Neo's real-world abilities may have been, I think they are just as much of a legitimate plot point as anything else in the movies.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Spoilers, moans etc
    I think walker is generally correct, about teh whole matrix restarting again, leaving the situation unresolved. I thought he would merge with the matrix and take it over, but oh no, he had to die, or return to the source and defeat smith and yet reboot teh whole shebang. The blinding was interesting, I think it has a reference to some sort of greek myth perhaps, something old like that, I just cant think what.
    Ultimately though, I think they should have spent far less time on the defence of Zion, impressive though it was. And if I were in charge of said defence, knowing that EMP was our best weapon against an invasion of sentinels, I would have everything wired up with fuses, and computers with faraday cages and earths, decoy the sentinels in, then EMP them. Repeat as necessary. Meanwhile, you could easily make exoskeletons that are eitehr em proof or run on mechanics, and the guns they use are explosive propelled, so it doesnt matter.
    The wireless connection to the matrix kind of worked, becasue lets face it, with that amount of hardware in you to hook you up to it, you probably would radiate a great deal in the Em spectrum.
    However, what streatches the whole series too much, is the basic premises. the brothers do, IMO, follow proper SF logic. For example, how do tehy get into teh matrix? Do they dial someone up, and when they pick the phone up, some peopel amterialise beside them? Or what? The exit from the matrix works as a necesary tension device (but is unnecessary if they are erally controlling themselves remotely like they seem to be.) but nothing is ever said about how they get into it. Another example is use of EMP as said above. PLus, if you have what looks like anti gravity, then surely you care capable of clearing those nasty clouds away.
    I think Smith is the best character in the movie, and it would have been great to have Neo ask him why he exists and what his purpose is, in the massive fight scene. but no, neo is reduced to monosyllables and general pointless answers (yeah man, i'm soooo deeep) that look like hteyre aimed at 12 year olds. IN a way though there were genuine awesome moments, such as the approach to the machine city and you relaise the lumps of metal moving are its gigantic defenders. Or armaggeddon, with millions of silent smiths standing around, in all the buildings. Except somehow they never made enough of that, they shoudl have somehow made the masses of smiths more obvious, more real, intrusive, whereas the battle was a little too individualised.

One of the group I went to see it with pointed out that they never had tiome to darn their ragged knitted jumpers (new fashion anyone?) yet trinity had time to put on full make up.
    Then, I wonder about zion, how come they have such a mishmash of technology, their ships have touch screens and stuff, yet look like retro-industrial wasteland products. I think then the machines destroyed Zion before, they killed everyone and left the machines and resources, which would then get restarted by the new escapees, or the adam and eve group who came with previous "ones" or something. So now we have a restarted matrix, but with a survived zion, that still has a few hundred thousand of its population. yet how long will the truce last? When will the next one arrive?
    Coming soon to a cinema near you, the matrix 4- the purpose of life.
    or something like that. I still think a better ultimate ending would be the one and some others cyborging, melding human and machine, such that the humans can come out of hiding, restore the earth, the machines get to do new different htings, whether in human bodies or whatnot, and everyone lives happily ever after. I thought the wee chat in reloaded with the old councillor suggested that quite blatantly.

8. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

I agree that a bunch of the Zion tech is left over from previous Matricies/Zions, and it gets reconstructed and innovated upon by the populace over time. After all, the current Zion has only been in place for 100 years or so, not enough time to develop giant hoverships.

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"You did it."
    "No.... we did it"

Simple put, no movie containing those lines can ever be considered good. Never.

11. ProCop Valued Senior Member

Saw the revolutions yesterday. I think the machines were reaching the human state in the "person" of smit. neo warned the matrix man that a program (smit) got out of control and that only he (neo) can stop it. neo could read smit because smit has developed a human quality: hate.

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Sounds not too bad, and still leads towards my ultimate end it all, which wold involve cyborging. Remember, Smith was actually the most characterfyul character in the film.

13. ProCop Valued Senior Member

RE guthrie

Agree. The world of the machines:
    the "programmer" (the matrix man): god
    surrounded by agents: angels
    angel smith: satan