Matrix: Reloaded

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by UberDragon, May 15, 2003.

1. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

The greatest computer known to man: the brain.

What really should get you mind going: Who said he left the matrix?

The building was merely a doorway to a backdoor to the mainframe. It wasnt located INSIDE that building. It is the matrix. That door, using that key, was a way to get to it, thats all.

Yeah, that was kinda crappy.

Kinda makes you think how?

*SPOILER ALERT*

Well the oracle sees the future right? What is the oracle? A program. So maybe no one was ever really outside the matrix. Maybe they were outside a the matrix, but in anoter matrix. Explains the dreams and his powers supposedly after he was out. Maybe its like "The 13th Floor".

And yeah, it did appear that everyone in Zion was black. Especially the rave-oragy scene. I saw like 2 caucasion people haha.

Great analogy though... that this movie was an empty bridge to the third one.

We shall see, we shall see...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Later,
    T

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I can buy that one.

The rest of my gripes...
    No excuse!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spookz Banned Banned

trinity knows her ***

Moderator Edit: And I know mine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

*SPOILER*

About the whole "all those black people in Zion" thing.

I noticed it too, but I really thought nothing of it until someone mentioned it to me.

I really don't think it was all black.
    I'd say about 1/2 and 1/2, which I think may have been the point.

I think it may have been the people of Zion being the first inhabitants to seed the new earth after the Matrix is destroyed.

(thinking maybe the Matrix will be destroyed while everyone was still "in" it.

And whoever was responsible (writer, director, whatever) for the racial ratio saw it as an opportunity to start the world off more equally.

Or maybe not.

8. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

From SlashDot.com

9. LucidDreamer Registered Senior Member

Blacks in Zion

A few people have questioned why there are so many blacks in the movie. This was a deliberate decision on the part of the Wachowski brothers. They believed that African Americans represent everything that is “hip” and “cool” to white suburban teenagers, the target audience for the movie. That is why Zion appears to be ruled by a council of Rastafarians.

Last edited: May 19, 2003
  10. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

And here I thought it was just due to the fact that the town they filmed it in had a large black population.

11. Soulcry Registered Senior Member

He doesnt only thake the bullet out but squeezes her heart with his hand.

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I hated that part to. Along with the "Now were even" line. It was just to cheesy. Like Pearl Habor cheesy.

13. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

I say he should have just let Carrie-Anne Moss die. No one likes her anyway.

14. Sarcophagus Registered Member

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*
    I agree, the "now we're even" part was dumb. It would have been better had it been said a little later, when she realizes she actually died. It seemed too sudden.

As far as Smith existing outside of the Matrix, I don't fully understand how a program can exist inside the brain of a human in the real world. That is, unless of course, we use the "Matrix in a Matrix" theory introduced to us in The Thirteenth Floor. In this case, Smith represents the bartender of the 1930s. Wait till he finds out that the world he escaped into isn't real either! Better yet, wait till Neo discovers just what he can do.

I mentioned in another thread the possibility of their minds escaping the bodies they're in and meeting inside another computer, or even The Matrix, where posibilities are endless. Smith will fly. Neo might replicate himself. Who knows.

15. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Personally...what I'd really like to see (not sure what I'd do the story...frankly i don't care.

) is to see Neo learn to teleport. I work in military simulation and I was running a scenario the other day and i had to chagne the scenario half way through it so I teleported a guy around the universe (okay..its just one city, but in 3d its called a universe). I remember watching it and thinking...THATS COOL....why can't Neo do that??? So...I think he should!

-AntonK

16. kmguru Staff Member

Neo teleporting:

It is because of what is called "writer's block". When a writer writes a story, he (or she) has a basic arc and creates detail in the arc. He is so immersed in the detail of that specific point that, he does not have time to move around in 3-D story space as would a viewer.

Also a viewer or a reader brings the experiences of other stories (movies or books) that a writer does not have the luxury due to copyright laws. So, in essense, the writer has less freedom in story telling than the consumer.

Until, copy right laws are changed to reflect growing experiences of viewers, we will see more disconnects in story telling.

(The above sentiments were expressed by a major Hollywood script writer, privately)

17. Niudo Despair Factioner Registered Senior Member

Maybe I've been reading too much Marvel, but I think it would be really cool if Neo was telepyric... I know it doesn't pertain to the story line at all, but still... then he could melt the machines or something, I don't know, but telepyrosis (telepyria?) is currently my favorite mental ability...

18. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

pyrokinesis.

About the black thing...I would think that The Matrix would cause everybody to blend into one universal ethnicity. Zion, too, would probably lose it's racial preferences in sexual activity in short order, destroying ethnicity at large.

Of course, maybe the machines intentionally seperate everyone ethnically to preserve the illusion of late-20th century society. But on the other hand, how would we know that there were supposed to be different races in that society if everything we knew was from a computer program?

Of course, maybe it's just the Wachowski Brothers saying that "culture and heratige can survive any hardship!" Or maybe people just like to see their own ethnicity represented in movies.

19. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

People always say this about futuristic movies... "oh, we'll all be one race by then..."

Well, genetics says otherwise. If I'm correct, and I believe I am, the way genetic works is that, we simply do not "mix" genes. Some traits are dominant and some are recessive. Dispite the fact that a trait is recessive, it will stay in the genepool and display itself as a phenotype with approximately the same frequency as it always has. If somewhere down the line there are 2 people that are half caucasion and half african american and they have a child, that child could very well be extremely pale white because those recessive genes are still there.

-AntonK

20. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

I'll believe that. I don't think it's enough to account for the glaring ethnic definition present in Reloaded, but it's enough to suspend my disbelief.

21. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

*SUPER MAJOR ULTRA SPOILER*

If you didnt catch it, there really is no one outside of the matrix. There really is no Zion. In fact, Neo, morphous and the rest are still jacked into the matrix.

Understand it? If not, I can explain.

Later
    T

22. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

You can't KNOW this for sure.... many have hinted at it...It's not a huge revelation if it is the case...but tell me...why do you believe so?

-AntonK

23. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

*UBER SPOILER*

No, its a guarnatee. The architecht explains it ALL. Also, at the end Neo somehow stops a few sentinels from killing him.

But more on the architect. He explained that if he was the father, than the Oracle was the mother of the matrix. Why? Because she figured it out. She found out why the original matrix wasnt working. She was designed to examine the humans and figure out how to make the matrix work. And she figured it out. The architect didnt figure it out because he couldnt think past perfection (because he is A.I).

And so what is it that she figured out? We must be given choice. And in this case, it was the choice to stay in the matrix or get out (which really is still in anotther matrix). Its kinda like "The 13th Floor" if you ever saw it.

Also he mentions that there was 6 before Neo. Neo is the end of the matrix's cycle. If he fails to figure it out, and free the humans, than the matrix merely resets itself and everything starts over. But if he succeeds, the A.I gets screwed because all the humans will wake up and they will have no more power.

See, the architecht gave him two doors. Trinity, or Zion will be destroyed. And when destroyed everyone will die. And Neo will select 7 males and 7 females to start over Zion. And thus, the matrix is reset. But he chooses trinity. So now, we just have to wait and see if he suceeds. But what everyone else thinks is "The Real World", is merely the choice that was needed for the Human's minds to accept the matrix programming.

This also explains how Smith gets downloaded into that one guy into the supposed "real world".

Booya,
    Later,
    T