Matrix problem....

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by glaucon, Mar 25, 2004.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Exactly. If he is awake and out of teh matrix, he can pull it out himself.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ste_harris Net Ninja Registered Senior Member

But if he's still in the Matrix or asleep as you put it that would seperate his conciousness from his body and kill him, like how Cypher later kills off some of the others that he traps in the Matrix. Bit of a flaw yes, but the simplest explanation is that he could have just pulled it out himself after leaving the Matrix.
    The first film was a great mix of scifi and kung fu, i didnt bother with the sequels, as it's like a law of physics: almost all, theres the odd exception to the rule and there are a few decent sequels, sequels will be lame in comparison to the original... dont get me started on prequels...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

the answer is simple. i could write a simple mini story exlpaining it here, realize alot od details can change also of course:

2 scenarios:

1- he either was doing it physically; meaning he setup a time frame, synchronization and found a time to sneak and jack in for a few minutes.

2- he did it digitally, as stated before- with somekind of 'clone' or replica or some sort in the matrix while he was at the computer when Neo spooked him.
    also a likely solution.

either way works.

take situation 1 hypothetically:
    cypher sets up a 5 minutes on the program of the matrix to jack in at a certain location and have- exactly five minutes later- a phone ring (the scripted program in the real world ship operator computer) to end the meeting. this can easily be arranged with the Agents cooperation as well, making it even easier.
    he arrive to restaraunt as right when dinners ready, talks with agent, gets up and walks out to a payphone on the side street and right on time it rings, he comes back t real life, opens his eyes, and unplugs himself (he didnt put restraints on himself of course).

if u consider situation 2 u cancel the debate over how could he unplug himself from the machine in the back of his head. (which i dont think is much of an argument, in animatrix etc u can see automated "jack-in" machines than go into their heads without anyones help. its not that hard to yank it out. consider this- Cypher was just jacked in for 5 minutes and did not do any physical excersice- u see he was just in and out. so when he came to, he wouldnt have been beat up or out of breath or weak or anything, he could just reach and yank the thing off and return to whatever he was doing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

He couldn't have gotten out of the matrix without an operator to call him.

There is nothing to suggest that he Cypher could've or did make a "clone".

It's just a plot hole in a mediocre movie, please.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Ah, but why would an avatar be interested in eating steak and drinking wine, as he was in the restaurant?

It wasn't some digital puppet he sent in, he was in there, enjoying the sensations of meat and drink, because it was made clear to us that the food on the ship was pretty dire.

So yes, it's a plot hole. There'd be a first eh? A plot hole in a sci-fi movie?

9. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

theres no plot hole, zonabi covered it three posts up. your logic is the thing with the hole in it, they have the loading program, im sure he could have loaded himself up some meat whilst still being safe, he told agent smith that he enjoyed the meat to tell smith his reason for wanting to leave the matrix, maybe he had to justify it to smith to justify it to himself

10. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I'm satisfied but many of you are missing an important point: at no point do we have Any evidence whatsoever to suggest that it's possible to physically unplug the 'spike' from oneself. On the contrary, evidence suggests that as long as that spike is in, you're still 'uploaded' as well as physically incapable of removing it.
    Still.. no biggie.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Though I hate to drag out this absurdly in-depth scrutiny of a minor plot hole from a story which (one hopes!) does not reflect our actual situation...

Cypher, and most of his shipmates, were freed from the Matrix as adults. Realising they'd spent their whole lives so far involuntarily hardwired to a illusiory world, they would NOT wish to be in that situation again - even for a few minutes. (Except, of course, Cypher himself, who'd decided he preferred the illusion). Therefore, since they had to jack back into the Matrix now and then, they probably wouldn't design the interface to be completely dependent on outside help. A jacker would want to be able to release himself if need be, though operator support was the safest way.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

Completely missing the very well made point one post above yours, ..... it's a plot hole. Instead of summising there's an explanation, just admit it wasn't explained away, and in fact, the plot develops to completely contradict your hypothesis.

It's a plot hole, in a movie, it doesn't spoil the whole thing, lots of movies have them. Let it go, ....

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think I was the first to say that... but people usually ignore me, it must be because I'm so tiny

14. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

you guys who are claiming its a plot hole obviously dont know how deep the matrix storyline and script and storyboards REALLY are.

it is one of the most critically acclaimed storyboard/script EVER written to a movie. the plot was DEEPLY thought out, scripted and planned. There are NO HOLES, just like THERE IS NO SPOON.

when u tackle a subject like the Matrix, u CANNOT leave holes, it defies the movie.

BESIDES, have u guys ever even seen ANIMATRIX???? obviously not, because if you did you would have realized that the 'Plug' doesnt have to be pulled out by an 'operator' and in fact some 'Plugs' UNPLUG AUTOMATICALLY from your head.

geez. u guys r so stubborn !
    i bet u didnt even read our explanations !!

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I have seen the animatrix, though I never bought the game I did play a little of it. I even read the matrix short stories. Still yes there our plot holes, to say there isn't is to claim the writers and staff that made the movie infallible! So is this a work of God? Is the matrix the next religion?

16. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

Who cares about the spike?

Without an operatator to call you up, you're stuck in the Matrix.
    Cypher had no operator, no fellow conspirator, to call him up. He, therefore, could not have left his meeting with Smith.

Voila... plot hole.

Silence, shrimp.

17. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

I think you are all ignoring the far more obvious "plot hole", here...
    (Plot Hole... izzat anything like that old Disney movie, The Black Hole, with the floating robots and the German guy who was in that old flick about the Nuremburg trials with Spencer Tracy, where he played a defense lawyer for the nazis on trial... Werner Klemperer, who played Colonel Klink in Hogan's Heros was in the thing, too... but I digress...)

The thing - I mean the Hole... The Plot Hole - you're all oblivious to is howda hell did they stick that "plug" thing inna back O' somebody's noggin without causing some kind O' brain damage!?

Didja get a good look at the thing ?

Yer tellin' me that you can safely cram six inches O' steel in the base of the skull without perforatin' somethin' ?

Why that's sillier than spending the money that was doled out to make Revulsions, I ain't lyin' ...

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well I figure that needle fit in the space between the cerebellum and the edge of the occipital lobe. It was a very long needle though you’re right it should have went right though the thalamus or midbrain kill them instantly (as this area controls breathing and passes all data to and from the spinal cord. Even if the needle did not make it that far giving it a good twist and jerk would have scramble some brains, that needle should have had a “Insert and remove with extreme caution” sign on it.

19. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

wellcooked fetus, you know nothing about a human from the real worlds brain, it may look like a pineapple for all you know

the machines, when they designed the matrix, made it so that people couldnt survive a spike in the head so that whoever gets freed is freaked out when they have to plug themselves in, spiteful barsteds, maybe even more so then humans

20. ericfost Registered Senior Member

I really hope your joking. Every movie has plot holes, and the Matrix is no exception. I agree it is one of the best and most original storylines; it is probably my favorite movie and I probably have seen it a couple hundred times. But when you see a movie that many times it gets real easy to pick it apart, and I have found too many plot holes to count. I could go on all day, but here's a couple really big ones:

-Why did the machines make the Matrix at all? Why didn't they just have everyone in a coma? Why go to all that effort?

-The machines supposedly use the body heat from the humans "with a form of fusion" to generate electricity. First of all, I don't want to go into how lame this sounds, fusion is generated with millions of degrees, and their telling me that the human body can cause it, please. Secondly, if they did know how to control fusion, why would they even need humans? Fusion uses deuterium, which is isotope of hydrogen and can be extracted from water. Did the oceans evaporate or something?

-Computers could never miss something they were shooting at. This would kind of destroy the movie, but it's true. So the only conclusion that can be deduced from this is they were programmed to miss. That would imply that the machines knew exactly what would happen with Smith in the second and third movies and the end result of that, which I find hard to believe.

I could go on but I'm tired :\

21. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

That bothered me right from the get-go... the business about "powering the machine-world" with human body heat "plus fusion".
    Although I thought they were actually utilizing the electric power generated by human brains, and hence devised the matrix to keep everyone in a sort of perpetual REM sleep so that their brains would be whizzing along like li'l ol' dynamos all the time...

It's been a while since I saw the first flick, though.

It seemed ludicrous that the amount of power which could be generated by either "brain batteries" or body heat could be enought to matter, especially in comparison with the potential of fusion.

I got the impression - probably just me "filling in the blanks" on my own - that somehow the fusion power had gone awry, and the "Thinking Battery" method was just the next best thing.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The problem is more or less: what are all these human batteries eating?????

They can't just eat dead bodies. It is impossible. Humans use up a lot of energy to maintain their body. It is impossible to harvest it all. Energy goes into maintaining the structure of, tissues, cells etc.

Humans need to be fed. They are not a perpetual mobile.

Hence the Machines would need to grow food for the humans. But they could just as well burn this material. It would probably be more efficient.

And why didn't the machines just use the energy of the earth's crust?

23. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

yeah, humans only use 1% of the energy they consume
    there are two great sources of power for the machines
    when neo and trin fly up thru the clouds in movie 3, they get zapped by lightning (which contains a hell of a lot of power) when they get above the clouds theres sun, so the robots could build really big towers with lightning rods to gather power at the middle heights, and solar panels for the bits above the cloud. Couldnt cypher just set a telephone in some remote place ringing all the time whilst he was in the matrix?, i mean, its not as if the call is going to time out or anything, itll just keep ringing till someone who is unplugged picks it up.

the machines didnt want to use the crust for power as it would soon run out without gaining energy from the sun