Matrix doodles

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by arfa brane, Sep 18, 2016.

1. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Suppose you'd like to map the rotation group of a square to a square matrix.

First of all a 2 x 2 matrix should suffice to describe the four vertices, i.e. something like:

\( \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} \)
    or if you want to represent a 4-cycle: (clockwise labeling):

\( \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ d & c \end{pmatrix} \)
    The permutation matrix \( \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \), acting on the left of any 2 x 2 matrix will swap the rows. Acting on the right it will swap the columns.

\( \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ d & c \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} d & c \\ a & b \end{pmatrix} \)

\(\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ d & c \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}b & a \\ c & d \end{pmatrix}\)
    So with the matrix transpose, a rotation or cyclic permutation of the elements of a 2 x 2 matrix can be defined:

\( \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ d & c \end{pmatrix}^{\intercal}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}d & a \\ c & b \end{pmatrix} = \biggl {(} \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ d & c \end{pmatrix} \biggr {)}^{\intercal} \)
    But you can also map the four vertices {a,b,c,d} to a column vector:

\( \begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \\ d \end{pmatrix} \)​

Then rotations are represented by 4 x 4 matrices, a subset of the 24 possible permutations of four symmetric objects. Can the above representation of rotating a square be extended to the whole of \( S_4 \), which is the symmetry group of a solid cube ? A cubic matrix will be needed, and a way to define rotations of the entire matrix (or equivalently, rotations of an abstract system of coordinates, given by a set of indices).

Start with a second 2 x 2 matrix like:

\( \begin{pmatrix} e & f \\ h & g \end{pmatrix} \)
    With connections between the rows/columns of this matrix to the first one. Index-wise, this is just a pair of 2 x 2 matrices connected, or 'sliced' as \( M_{1ij} + M_{2ij} \). Obviously the indices will allow three distinct slices of the 2 x 2 x 2 matrix.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    magnetoschild likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by "encapsulated" so much, but to be a tensor, a multidimensional array has to have certain transformation properties. You need, I think, to start with vector spaces and these have to have co- and contravariant properties.

A bare 2 x 2 x 2 cubic array of "numbers" or just symbols like a, b, c . . . with the transformation I've defined so far, might not qualify as a tensor. I need to define a direction vector somewhere along with what happens to it when it gets transported around under the rotation I've defined.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

What do you mean?

The cyclic permutation group of 4 vertices? The rotational group of a square with distinct vertices in a 2-D embedding space? The rotational group of a square with indistinguishable vertices in a 2-D embedding space? The rotational group of a square with distinct vertices in a 2-D embedding space? The rotational group of an oriented square with indistinguishable vertices in a 3-D embedding space? The rotational group of an unoriented square with indistinguishable vertices in a 3-D embedding space?

8. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Hmm. The rotation group or subgroup of symmetries of a square, or any polygon in a Euclidean domain, is closed under composition, any composition of rotations is a rotation.
    This isn't true for reflections in the plane because compositions of reflections are rotations, and transposing a 2 x 2 matrix is analogous to reflecting two vertices of a square about a diagonal line.

In a matrix, all the elements are distinguished with indices. The transpose operation with another 'reflection' through a horizontal or vertical line of symmetry gives a 'rotation'.

So if say,

\( \sigma_x = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \)
    Then if A is any 2 x 2 matrix, we have:

\( (A^{\intercal}\sigma_x)^2 = \sigma_x A \sigma_x \)
    and \( \sigma_x = \sigma_x^{-1} \)​

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  9. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

\( (A^{\intercal}\sigma_x)^2 = \sigma_x A \sigma_x \)
    and \( \sigma_x = \sigma_x^{-1} \)

Screwed up the notation. It should be:
    \( (A^{\intercal}\sigma_x)^{\intercal}\sigma_x = \sigma_x A \sigma_x \)​

Still thinking about how to "repeat" either expression so you get the identity permutation on both sides.

10. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Well, there are the equalities since, from the above:

\( (A^{\intercal} \sigma_x)^{\intercal} = \sigma_x A \), so
    \( (A^{\intercal} \sigma_x) = (\sigma_x A) ^{\intercal}\),

by a symmetry, we have:

\( (\sigma_x A^{\intercal}) = (A \sigma_x )^{\intercal} \)

But \( \sigma_x A \sigma_x \) "twice", is
    \( \sigma_x (\sigma_x A \sigma_x ) \sigma_x = \sigma_x^2 A \sigma_x^2 = A \)​

11. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Just a thought about what \( \sigma_x A \sigma_x \) means.

Mathematically the rows are exchanged (transposed) and the columns are exchanged. It doesn't matter which is "done first".
    However, it should be clear that

\( \sigma_x (A \sigma_x) = ( \sigma_x A) \sigma_x \)
    Which although the parentheses are redundant, shows there is a rule of composition.

12. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

With the matrix transpose, we have a symmetric kind of operation:

\( (\sigma_x A \sigma_x)^{\intercal} = \sigma_x A^{\intercal} \sigma_x \)
    But when \( \sigma_x \) appears just once, either on the left or the right of A, the matrix transpose also transposes the position of \( \sigma_x \):

\( (\sigma_x A)^{\intercal} = A^{\intercal}\sigma_x,\; (A\sigma_x)^{\intercal} = \sigma_x A^{\intercal} \)​