Massage Therapy

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by BenTheMan, Sep 30, 2008.

1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Does anyone go for regular massage treatments?

Does it help at all? Is there any research to back up the claims?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i thought you were talking about the sort one of the women posted in one of the abortion threads

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

never mind. It was a technique designed to cause a misscarage by "massage"

forget which thread it was brought up in or who brought it up

8. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I had a serious neck injury a few years back, and I saw a massage therapist pretty regularly. It helped a little bit, but usually after a day or two I was back to where I was before. Did you hurt yourself ben?

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

No. I was just wondering.

I started a weight lifting routine at the beginning of the summer (I'm down about 30 pounds, thank you very much), and from time to time I tweak a small muscle in my back, or I have sore shoulders or thighs. They usually go away by the next time I lift, but I was just wondering if there were any (tangible, quantifiable) benefits to regular massage therapy.

10. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I used to be into weight lifting, and I had a roommate who was going to school to be a massage therapist, so she would practice on me from time to time. I actually found that it would feel good during the massage, but I would often feel even more soar the next day. Have you ever had a deep tissue massage? They usually leave me feeling soar in the same kind of way that working out does. I guess I can't answer if there is any benefits. I do know that excessive massaging can sort of "milk" water molecules from muscles, so I imagine that would probably not be good to do after a workout, unless you do some serious hydration afterwards, which you should be doing after a workout anyway, but I'd say if you get a massage after a workout, you should make sure to hydrate even more.

11. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I often find that a warm bath with about 4 cups of epsom salts, 1 cup of baking soda, and some baby oil often really help to loosen up overworked muscles and make them relax. And it makes your skin really soft too

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

edit: the baby oil thing might be kinda gay, but hey, it makes the muscles feel better

edit: Hell, men taking baths at all is kind of gay... damn

12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well the "makes your skin really soft too" thing clinches it, if there was any doubt

13. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

*sigh* yeah, but you know what, the chicks dig it man. Ever hear that song by The Bloodhound Gang called "I Wish I Was Queer So I Could Get Chicks"?

I just remembered the one thing that really helped me was to take magnesium supplements. Made a world of a difference, but I had to be on them for a while. But it really did help a lot. Epsom salts contain magnesium

14. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

I do, I do, until two years ago! Here in Germany is expensive, so I never did since I
    come here. Normally I did it every two weeks in a beauty parlor. In big cities
    in Indonesia, you can find this services in almost all shopping malls. Much cheaper
    than you do in hotel's beauty parlor. I normally will have complete package
    which consist of whole body message, creambath (for hair), lulur (don't know
    what is in English, but this is for face), and 'reflexy' (special massage for feet).
    I did for the face once per month, but all the others once per two weeks, and
    normally I did it after playing 5 sets of badminton (this I did every weekend).
    It's very relaxing. For whole complete package (body message, creambath,
    'lulur', and 'reflexy'), we have to pay around $25. Here in Europe it is impossible!
    Just for creambath alone you have to pay €25 *cry*

15. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Something like this:

I miss home T_T

16. kmguru Staff Member

Massage therapy on healthy individuals is more placebo than not. It does help sore muscles to heal slightly quicker. A heavy duty vibrator works just as good. Better is Tai Chi or Yoga for overall benefit. Steam Rooms help too...

17. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

This is what I figured.

*giggle*

18. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I'll let you know if I ever hurt myself badly, as I can get massages, hypnosis, all sorts of stuff for free.

19. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Courtesy of the gov't.?

20. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

What about other protein supplements? I can't remember what they're called...the ones that supposedly help you heal?

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Just take a multi vitamin and mineral supplement daily and that's all you really need do to insure that you get what you need.

22. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Auntie.

23. kmguru Staff Member

Whey protein shake (with banana!) and a papaya enzyme should do the trick...