Mass in daughter's leg

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Orleander, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You'll note that those are all questions that a doctor should be able to answer before a biopsy. Maybe you're more polite than me, but if a doctor told me that I or my child needed surgery under general anesthesia, I would insist on answers to those sorts of questions.

And another very important one that I forgot to list above would be "What is the threshold of risk necessary for you to recommend this surgery?"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, they took it out today in an hour long surgery. He told us the biopsy results would be available in 2 days. He said it looked like a lump of cheese, which he had seen before but not in a child. And then he told us to wait for the biopsy results.
    I should have asked more questions. :wallbang: (I especially should have asked Nasor's questions, but they flew out of my head as soon as they said she was done and in recovery)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

i had similar to that but didnt have to stay in hosptal over night. it was a very simple procedure and didnt feel a thing. i remember counting down with the mask on my face and when i woke up they were wheeling me into a room but i was able to get up and leave. checked it out and it was nothing but just one of those things. i guess you would call it a cyst. i also had them in my gums and they were removed also. that was about eight years ago.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When a friend of mine went in for a lump in her breast they did the biopsy while she was still under and on the operating table. They had the results right away then and that was over 30 years ago. I do not understand why they want to wait 2 days because if they needed to remove more tissue around the area they could without reopening the same wound. I guess they have their reasons, but ask them anyway, thanks! I'm also glad all went well with the operation and she as well as you are doing fine.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. John99 Banned Banned

Cosmic, the breast area is different and should be closely examined.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Well it would seem to me if a biopsy was needed they could have done it right then and there. I was only wondering why they didn't perform it then.:shrug:

10. John99 Banned Banned

i dont know but i think they send it to a lab.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

In all good hospitals they have labs in them as to get things done post haste.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I feel better that they didn't ask for it to be done right then and there. If the doctor wasn't freaked out about it, then I'm not gonna be either.

13. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

It's probably nothing to worry about and is just a sebaceous cyst. Those (when excised) can be cheesy looking because it is filled with Keratin. The reason why the doctor wanted to remove it is probably because they can absess if poked and picked at frequently, and children tend to do that a lot. Most doctors will remove cysts like that if they are in an uncomfortable place for the child, or because they do not want the child or parents to worry. If it was fleshy, bloody or severly discolored (blues/browns/blacks) then you would probably have to worry. And this one didn't sound like it was too deep, so I think she will be fine.

My brother had one under his eye when he was about 7, and it was removed successfully.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

was your brother's discolored? Hers was red/purplish as if a port wine birthmark was on it

15. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Well, in that case, it wasn’t a biopsy analysis they did; it must have been something else. Whilst I have never done any medical pathology biopsy analysis, I have done a lot of tissue histology as part of my lab research over the years. It is not an instant process to prepare tissue, fix it, mount it, section it and stain the slides. Only then can you actually start staring down a microscope at the tissue sections and try to find a specific section that answers the question you’re asking. And a hospital path lab would have to do this for a lot of samples from a lot of people. Receiving your biopsy results in a day or two is totally standard.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

whew! Thanks Herc

17. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

His skin on the outside looked that way, yes. But not once they cut the mass out. Then it was just a cheesy yellow looking thing.

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

However when my friend had her operation it was standard then, 30 years ago, to have a lab pathologist do the biopsy during the operation in order to find out if cancer was present or not. That saved millions of dollars in many unnecessary operations after the first one. Why open a healing wound?:shrug:

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Maybe they wanted to know if they should proceed with a mastectomy?
    Maybe if they thought it was cancerous the doctor would have asked for the results ASAP, instead of 2 days.
    :shrug:

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Then, to me, they did the right thing but your daughters case is somewhat different as all cases are. Perhaps today they have different procedures from before, I don't know.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Most likely sebaceous cyst then.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. John99 Banned Banned

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'll wait for you to post the test results.

I have a similar but far less worrisome problem, have to call my oral surgeon and my orthodontist and hope they still have panoramic dental x-rays of my teeth so I can figure out when this metallic "thing" got in there, I'm betting my oral surgeon broke something off in my jaw while ripping out my wisdom teeth.