Mass bannings, anyone?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by James R, Nov 9, 2008.

?

Read the first post, and vote:

Poll closed Nov 19, 2008.
  1. I want mass bannings, according to the suggested process.

28.0%
  2. I do not want mass bannings.

54.0%
  3. I abstain from this vote.

18.0%
  1. Gustav Banned Banned

/primp/preen

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

/frown

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

I support this idea. I would also like to see a similar arrangement whereby banned members can be resurrected from the ban-dead by popular vote.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sniffy Banned Banned

OMG that would be a democracy!

8. draqon Banned Banned

Imagine in real life, bunch of people get together, cast the spells upon the world of the dead and resurrect their relatives...

9. draqon Banned Banned

That would be denecromacy! Democratic necromancy!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Ban all the Russians.

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Another sockpuppet.

Sigh.

12. Saxion Banned Banned

Say that again, please....

...and then we can actually measure the level of intelligence the forum has provided.

13. scott3x Banned Banned

Reporting is worthless if there are no rules on what is noteworthy enough to report.

14. Saxion Banned Banned

And besides, if you are gonna piss your pants cuz you cannot except the use of another name, take heed of what was hinted. James, your modship courts said thati could keep this name, under this name only. So why not call me by saxion, without these childish insults.

15. scott3x Banned Banned

For some recent examples: I've complimented James on his sense of humour (the evil dog admin

). And while I used to rail at Stryder that he wouldn't split up the enormous 9/11 thread, he's now done so and I think he's quite aware that I'm happy about that.

A little wrong? Never, ofcourse (perish the thought ;-)).

Perhaps. I personally refrain from the more coarse ways to complain, however...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  16. scott3x Banned Banned

Sounds good to me

I wish I had your confidence on the matter.

Well, no one likes looking dumb or loosing money. Different people respond in different ways.

We have to be able to crawl before we can walk. We have to be able to walk before we can run. Flying requires engineering skills or dreamscapes

. I don't know where sciforums is as a whole on my metaphorical map, but I'm happy that progress is being made. The forum is relatively big and if people who were banned are coming back for more, well... clearly they miss -something- about it.

Laugh

. I like to think that the splitting of the 9/11 thread was a definitive carrot. And I can easily imagine that my badgering Stryder about his "there can be only one!", "mighty tangle" 9/11 thread might have been a stick, even if it was only twig size

And big egos want even bigger caresses

. Just philosophizing, not naming names or anything

Admins are usually the superstructure of any forum. Changing such things casually is not recommended if you value the stability of a forum. I'm not saying that I unconditionally support every admin and/or mod on this board; in truth, the only 3 that I've actually dialogued with (to my knowledge anyway) are James (who I believe to be running the show, correct me if I'm wrong), Stryder (who moderates my favourite forum, pseudoscience) and Tiassa who I've seen a bit in this forum and in the ethics forum.

Yeah, but it's an enclave I've gotten somewhat fond of. And despite all your words, it seems like you have too (otherwise, why be here at all?).

As long as I can play, I think things will be fine

. Humility certainly helps too (evil dog admins for the win ;-)).

Well, I thought it was, but that's me

17. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

MUST NOT...

GAH! Sorry, couldn't stop... I hate it when people say not to do something...

18. scott3x Banned Banned

The above just leaves me with questions:
    Are you saying the admins are the charlatans/intellectually challenged, that the above refers to myself or some combination? Time will tell I suppose

By that logic, if I had the power to banish and enforce such banishment, it'd be a formidable adversary, since I do believe I can actually think

. I'm guessing you meant to put it a bit differently (as in, people who can actually think are frequently banished). I've been banned from other forums, I know what it's like. As a general rule, however, I don't return, or if I do, it's only briefly. I dislike the whole sock puppet thing and wondering when they'll figure out who my last incarnation to simply be rebanned and would rather move on to somewhere where people simply don't know me. The goal is to eventually find somewhere where they accept me, wrinkles and all. Ofcourse, as the years go by, one begins to get better at how one presents oneself, so, in theory, one might be able to last somewhere as one gets wiser...

I can think anyway I like. The main issue is what I can write in a public forum and still -be- in that forum the day after.

Perhaps it's good to be small sometimes. I'm just tired of being the hunted mammoth.

Woot

. Keep 'em coming

Aww, thanks

Yeah, sounds good.

Personally, I do actually believe that we are all unique. Even certain NIST types although I believe they have a lot to answer for (you'd have to be a die hard 9/11 pseudoscience type to understand that one

). Who decides what's degradation? Do I see flaws here? Sure. Do I see flaws in myself? That too. Ultimately, for me, the question is, how can I be happy? For now, I clearly think that sciforums plays a part in that. Tomorrow, it may change. I have found that life really is both unpredictable and short. I plan on having a bit of fun while I'm here and then move on to other things.

Tiassa seems to be fairly intelligent, although he doesn't have a evil dog admin icon :-/. Perhaps I seem like a complete and utter bore to many here too (perhaps they feel that 9/11 is so -old- and that I really should get with the times). But Tiassa's not, say, your father. I'm sure his child(ren) wouldn't see him in exactly the same light.

Hey, I like my tastes

!

Because I'm so inferior I suppose

I notice you didn't answer my question

Is there ever really a time when it's -not- wise? When viewing the cosmic game of life, I'd say we're all pawns that the waves of destiny sweep up. It helps if you know how to surf and ride the waves, but make no mistake; the waves are in control, not the surfer who rides them.

Laugh

. Very well ;-)

19. scott3x Banned Banned

Lol

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I wrote the original roles, not much has changed!

21. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Hmm...

These are SciResources that I started a few months ago:

RULES.

In order to start a SciResource thread, please put SR in the title. These threads are written by members, for members.

Physics.

Rocket Dynamics Tutorial
    By: DH
    So you think you're a rocket scientist? DH tells you what you actually need to know about rocket science to impress girls in bars.

The Higgs and Gauge Invariance
    By: BenTheMan
    Explains why we need a higgs boson.

Math.

So, what's a Tensor, for Chrissake?
    By: QuarkHead
    A mathematical introduction to the concept of tensors.

Manifolds.
    A mathematical introduction to the concept of a manifold.

A Glossary of Set Theoretic Terms.

A Category Theory Primer

Now, Saxion (if you will), compare these posts to the following by a banned crackpot called Reiku:

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=87676
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=86846
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=86811
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=85553

And, of course, there's YOUR thread where you proved that \(Mc^2 = Mc^2\): http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=87510

Now, there are some of us who actually want SciForums to be a place that we enjoy posting at, and where we can learn something from other people. And there are some people who just want a place to shit.

I'll let you read through these threads and see which category each falls into. Some subset of the threads above are written by educated people, trying to educate their peers. Some threads are meandering worthless essays written by people looking for attention. I'll let you make up your own mind.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  22. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I voted yes, but now I read this thing, lol Hummm how the mighty have fallen? (mighty being the forum)

23. scott3x Banned Banned

Roles? Your link is dead, btw. If you meant rules, I've seen some in the pseudoscience forum, along with a 'guideline' of 'no personal attacks'; it seems to have be a guideline in the spirit of 'you shouldn't do that, but if you do, we'll just watch'. Unless, ofcourse, the personal attack is against an admin, in which case the guideline becomes a rule and the poster may quickly be warned that their time here may be short. All well and good if we want to have separate standards for members and admins. I don't recommend that approach, but this place belongs to the admins; we're simply guests that can be invited in or thrown out, at your leisure...