Masculinity pressures on young men and pressure to be heterosexual

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Shourya, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Shourya Registered Member

Here is an UNESCO published paper on the masculinity pressures on young men. Request you all to go through this and give your views.
    unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0014/001465/146514e.pdf

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Instead, why don't you use the skill you learned in the sixth grade when your teacher taught you to write book reports? Instead of asking twenty people to read the same bloody article, since you have already read it, you can just write a short abstract for us. We trust you to be accurate and truthful.

Life is waaaaay too short to read everything that somebody else has already read and understood. Just explain it to us!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. arauca Banned Banned

I like it better Male will pressure a male to be a male and a female to be a female and no thing in between , that is how nature made us .................

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

One thread wasn't enough for your crusade against heterosexuality?

The paper describes the tremendous amount of pressure on men to fit a "standard profile" of masculinity in India. They are pressured to be aggressive, forward and homophobic. This may well be true in India.

Fortunately the Western world is somewhat more accepting of alternative forms of expression. This is often described by the pejorative "political correctness" which has taken over a large part of the US media. Popular entertainment presents positive images of both straight and gay couples, and many media stars now showcase their homosexuality.

It's also an extremely political paper, making statements such as "And abortion is nothing short of murder" and claiming birth control is "devastating" "dangerous" "painful" "invasive" etc. The author, like you, has an agenda he is trying to push hard, and is using the topic of societal pressures on men to do so. Thus his paper should be taken with a grain of salt, since it is a political tool, not an attempt at a scholarly article.

8. Shourya Registered Member

This paper was my biggest evidence of how sexual-orientation is absolutely fake and artificial social construct and so I decided to create a separate thread for it. I have given the other evidences in the same thread but till now nobody has touched upon them.
    Nothing could be farther from the truth. The paper clearly describes that these pressures are most acute in Indian cities which are westernized. It is west and westernization that introduces the very concept of 'homophobia' in the masses. As I said, the very concept of sexual-orientation is a totally peculiarly western idea. All cultures all over the world elsewhere have seen men as simply sexual and virile, capable of doing women,other men and third-genders too.
    It is the west for the first time that has introduced this false notion of men liking either this or that. This raises huge fears among the minds of mainstream men who then compete hard to exaggerate their heterosexuality status and also to suppress and mutilate their same-sex needs (which are present in all men to various degrees).

It seems you westerners want to take anything with a grain of salt that challenges your basic conctruct of heteronormativity. The truth is that the only social construct is your concept of sexual-orientation.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

If that paper is your biggest piece of evidence (and it is clearly a propaganda piece used by someone to push their anti-birth-control and anti-abortion agendas) then you don't have much.

Then they are lagging the Western world, where homosexuality has become far more accepted.

Do a quick test. How many popular TV shows in India feature gay or bisexual main characters? I can think of half a dozen in the US, and they've been going on for decades. It was a big deal when they first came out, now no one much cares.

Or if you want to do it more rigorously look up results of Kinsey scale tests on the population you are interested in. Here in the US over half of males are exclusively heterosexual, with smaller fractions describing occasional (or more frequent) homosexual desires. What is it in India?

Sounds like you have a strong need to push your agenda onto other people. It would be most interesting to discover why your drive to do that is so strong.

10. Shourya Registered Member

The truth is that there being nothing called a "gay" or "bisexual", there is no such portrayal of it in any non-westernized culture. Most men have a latent sexual need for men. Although I must say, with increasing westernization, these cultures have also started to portray "gay" and "bisexual" characters.
    You are simply going by formal facades that men put up. I have already said most men exaggerate their attraction to women and suppress their need for men. Exclusive heterosexuality in men is a myth. It is a social facade meant to put pressure on men.

If I were to go by my work of more than a decade with men, it is over 90%. I have already mentioned that less than 5% of males are exclusively heterosexual.

Yes, I have an agenda to inform men about how dangerously misleading the concept of sexual-orientation is by claiming that majority of men are exclusively heterosexual.

11. Shourya Registered Member

I am sorry, I have given several other evidences of man-man desire being universal in my other thread. Nobody has touched on them. This is another big one from the west itself which says most guys have a latent need for men.
    http://www.g0ys.org/

12. Shourya Registered Member

Giving freedom to men to be sexual with men by isolating them as 'gay' or 'queer' is worse than giving them any formal freedom to be sexual with men at all. It is like giving freedom to women to have sex with men by being 'whores'. Having gay rights and parades is like having a slut-walk.
    The concept of 'homosexuality' intends to depict as if only a minority of males like men and desiring men is either some anomaly or trait that occurs only in a few.
    No man with manhood worth his salt will want to take on a gay identity even with a strong need for men. Men need their manhood and manhood (straight) today is tied with heterosexuality. That is why there are so many closets.
    In non-wetsern cultures, formally there is no freedom to have sex with men but informally, ALL men are known to desire men (they are just expected to keep away from it). There is no such thing as "homosexual" as a separate class of males with attraction to men. That is the false western propaganda that I am trying to expose here.

13. Shourya Registered Member

And now if someone needs to challenge my claim that exclusive heterosexuality in men is a myth, he needs to touch upon my evidences I have provided in the other thread.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

If you don't understand the terms "gay" or "bisexual" you are missing a very large part of the discussion.

That would be towards the "homosexual" end of the Kinsey scale. Here's the scale:

0 Exclusively heterosexual
    1 Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual
    2 Predominantly heterosexual, but more than incidentally homosexual
    3 Equally heterosexual and homosexual (bisexual)
    4 Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual
    5 Predominantly homosexual, only incidentally heterosexual
    6 Exclusively homosexual

Last Western score for men I've seen:

0 55%
    1 7%
    2 13%
    3 11%
    4 4%
    5 2%
    6 8%

And this poll is, by far, the one that shows the most homosexuality/bisexuality in the US. More contemporary polls put the numbers at between 3-5% (people who self identify as gay or bisexual.)

No, I am going by studies that analyze sexual preference in Westerners. Nothing I have seen contradicts that.

That might be true if your work took you to Indian gay men's clubs. Here in the US 55% are exclusively heterosexual, 45% are not.

Your argument would be with Kinsey, not me.

15. arauca Banned Banned

I suppose the Kinsey scale is among Anglo mentality and it should not be considered as Western The Anglo don't represent the Western hemisphere nor East Europe.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

What is "anglo mentality?"

17. arauca Banned Banned

The Kinsey report on sexual orientation is based on Anglo mentality ( Exploration )

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

Anglo mentality = exploration? And does "exploration" mean "sexual experimentation" or "exploring new places?"

And does that imply that non Anglo-Saxon peoples are less into exploration?

19. arauca Banned Banned

First paragraph bot ways .

Look into History for conquests and exploration you will find the answer

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Other cultures are not a separate species! While culture probably does have an effect on public behavior, private inclinations probably aren't all that different.

21. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

22. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

23. Shourya Registered Member

I very much understand it, but I am challenging the definitions. The concept of 'gay' tends to point out as if desire for males occurs in a minority of men and is different and queer or happens due to certain anomalies like hormonal or genetic.It isolates a man from men's spaces and makes him a non-man. Infact, it is also quite often seen as effeminate by westerners themselves. It infact, refers to an effeminate male's sexuality for men. That is why people use phrases like-"Your shirt looks so gay". The fact is formal definitions mean one thing but the general public tends to react to things based on their inherent meanings. If I say 'gay' sexuality then men will stay away from their same-sex needs. If I delink desiring men from 'gay' and 'homosexuality' then men will no longer hide their feelings and there will no longer be any sitgma left in desiring other men.

Now you yourself agree that 45% of men are not exclusively heterosexual as per the poll you have indicated. But other polls show just 3-5% of men are not exclusively heterosexual. So, this obviously means there is a huge difference among the poll results and statistics. So, how can either of these polls which show such a huge range of differences in results be reliable? This obviously indicates that most polls don't reflect accurate measures but just go by some formal facades of men. At some places, men tend to be more open about their need for men and then this number jumps to 50% and in other conservative places, men tend to hide it more and the number drops to 5%.
    In my country, in men's spaces, most men have been open and so the number has gone to as high as 90%.

You are forgetting that men are not honest about their inner sexual feelings when confronted directly. So these studies are not going to come up with accurate results as they conduct surveys and in surveys, only a few males will be open about their inner feelings. Even if anonymous. That is the reason why some polls say it is just 5% and other polls state 45%. This site from the west clearly mentions that it is as high as 2/3.
    http://www.g0ys.org
    Men need to be given a very safe space before they reveal their inner selves. You are oblivious to the fact that what is visible outside in a man's world is often exaggerated and what is real may not be visible at all.

There is no such place as a Indian gay men's club. I have worked with mainstream regular Indian men, not in some Indian gay ghetto or club.

Kinsey was close to correct but westerners have sidelined him.