Masculinity and Madness

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by WANDERER, Dec 31, 2004.

1. WANDERER Banned Banned

Last time I played D&D I was a level 3 Rogue with a dagger and a nasty way of falling into traps.
    Then I grew up.

Magic marker?
    But that’s too big a point.
    I need something much finer.

I think Anna Freud would say:
    "Yes heir Sigmund, I will stroke your penis and call you my little boy."

Wasn't philocrazy a whacky character?
    Totally my invention.
    I played him like a demented level 9 Barbarian/fighter, with a broadaxe and a homosexual tendency.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

You really think this stuff works, don't you?

You are wise in the ways of the force, young Skywalker, now suck my cock.

Hmm.
    You and your editing powers. The damned dark side of the schwartz...

Let's see:

As I said, it didn't.
    I said "fuck off" in a joking sort of way.
    But, whatever trips your trigger.
    "You're not my father!!"

You're stretching, not I.

I already told you why. Because Philocrazy was/is an annoying piece of shit and I wanted him stopped. I went with my hunch and I lost. Big whoop.
    Did I seem excited?

You got them? Let's see what you think you have. I doubt if you have anything from your insightful comments thus far.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

Wanderer:
    And got boring and prolix?

Fucking whiner.

*Barfs*
    You may be less boring then.
    "Incest is the best"
    I prefer brother/sister to father/daughter couplings, though.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WANDERER Banned Banned

Imbedded nunun
    Your movie referencing is impressive.

Nice defensive tactic.

Redirection….nice.

Yes.
    Funny how there are so many annoying characters on this Forum and yet you chose to start an entire thread about that one.
    But your thread wasn’t a complaint it was an ‘Ahuh! I got him!’ kind of thing.
    Like, look what I found out?
    Want to hear who fucked your boyfriend’s sister?

These things take time, intended sophomore.
    I have a working hypothesis and if you can maintain my interests for a period I might reach definite conclusions.
    Truth is, you’re a very closed character.
    Very evasive and slippery.

You need a period of cooling down and the sensation of feeling calm and safe, to expose yourself more.
    When you know you are being watched you clamp up.

Look at how brief your responses are, as compared to your 10 page letters in other threads.

Now, if I could see you and watch how you move and listen to your voice fluctuations I’d have you figured out in about 2 minutes.
    But I enjoy the challenge of this medium.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

How dare you forget mother/son?!
    That's an outrage!!
    I bet Freud would have something to say about it.
    Repression of some sort, I should imagine.

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

I'll probably never be a mother and it's even less likely I'll be a son....

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

Oh my god! Why did I say that? Now I'm growing man-bits!

*Screams*

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Oh my god, what happened to this thread?
    It was all fun and games until an idiot who can’t even chuckle at his own stupidity goes on and takes it too seriously.
    Again.
    Was looking forward to the kangaroos fisting each other. And now this.

*sheesh*

Can’t stand not being the world’s bad conscience, can you my little friend?

Prize pig goes to:
    This thread- yours- is an “excitement of unmasking the chick in public”, You.Fucking. Moron.

Xev:
    Ta-ta.

Something like “Read Freud or shut up”

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Here's a clue. I don't care about what's going on in this thread as opposed to other threads.
    Yes. Yes. Here I am posting so I can't claim indifference, blah.
    But the point still stands. This is actually a total waste of time and I should be getting to posting elsewhere. Something that I've been putting off for days as it's going to be a complicated post and I've been feeling rather unenthusiastic about it lately.

So, I'm going to have my 'cooling off period'.
    I'm done in here.
    Maybe. (See, if I hadn't said maybe and then I came back I'd look foolish, wouldn't I?)

Yes. Yes.
    The all-seeing eye of Wanderer. We've all heard the tale.

Wonder if I should give you my secret?
    I'm not sure if I should. It wouldn't give you any insight into me but it would allow you to pick and choose your targets a bit better in the future. Not sure that I want to help you in that way.
    You should be able to realize why you're not able to crack me as you crack so many others. It's quite simple really and it's a direct consequence of your style of interrogation.

Anyway...

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Gendanken,

Bullshit. I win. I got him to admit this whole thing was a setup.

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

If only (Kentucky derby jingle)…if only….if only, DR. LOU would trot back here and save us!
    This thread could use his saucy posts again.
    You fuckers are getting boring.

Vert:
    Why do dogs lick their ballies?
    Starts with an R ends with essentiment.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

NO!!!
    She's boring of me!!!
    Quick must leap to her defense in order to win the crown.
    Have at you!!!!! *Flailing wildly*

Yes.
    Where is the good Doctor? Off sniffing panties, I suppose.
    Maybe in a playground somewhere preparing to fight the duel of his life?

16. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Everything happens while I'm working, doesn't it.
    Or not... Let's rephrase - everything appears to happen while I'm working.
    Smoke everywhere.
    But when we get right down to it, this thread has derailed itself rather magnificently.
    Love train wrecks.

Back tonight, lads and lassies.

*edit - just before I go.
    Gendanken has inferred that I stink of Kangaroo. I can only say that if that is the case, I can only feel relieved that the odour clinging to me is not that of fish.

17. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Well. This might be rather long, but I suppose some sort of comment is in order.
    I missed out on all the fun, it seems, and now I find myself reading through about 3 pages thinking I should comment on this, that, and the other while everyone else has already done so.
    Now I feel rather like that last growl of thunder after the main storm has passed. (Paraphrased, and leaving out a qualifier, but still, thanks again Douglas Adams).

Actually, in hindsight the biggest mistake I made here was becoming involved at all, at the behest of Gendanken, when I’d hardly bothered to read this thread to begin with. Still,
    I’m sure it won’t be the last mistake I’ll make. I’ve made quite a few of them in my lifetime, and there is at least one I’ve even made twice.
    Milly See, hand me my hair shirt. I have need of it once more.

Here we go.

This
    “ If you're going to insult someone, then do it so that you can show some insight by adding just enough truth to make them cringe. Otherwise, it's completely ineffective, and makes one think of children in a schoolyard telling each other they are big fat cows. Add enough insight into their character so that they see parts of themselves in what you're saying, and then whatever you really don't know becomes all the more intimidating. Otherwise you merely look like you're frothing.
    Keep it in mind.”

Seems to have created quite a stir in more than one camp. Now the thing here is that all of you (and I mean all) assume that “mentor” is synonymous with “master”. It is not. A mentor is merely someone from whom another thinks they can learn. A teacher. A guru. Another might not find this guru worthy of respect at all, but in this case I was referring to lou… odd that so many assumed I was referring to myself.
    I wrote something not long ago about an old decrepit house. How one might see it one way, another a different way.
    That viewpoint depends on the mindset of the reader. On whether the reader sees the writer (in this instance) as on the defensive, or offensive. When the reader replies, that mindset becomes clear. Perspective. I had mine, you all had yours. Interesting.

I’ll make an admission here. I am a computer gamer on occasion. I used to be into it quite heavily, but these days it has become a little stale. I also used to drink rather heavily, and still do on the odd occasion. These things were something I was already aware might be construed by some as a fault, including myself. Some time ago wanderer used them against me. This is one area in which his swings struck flesh. That I’d already been aware of it becomes irrelevant in face of the fact that he pointed it out . You see? It doesn’t matter that I’d been thinking about it, seen it for what it was. To those listening, it was wanderer who had pointed it out, and thus he was accorded some credit.
    And heads nodded wisely, and said to themselves “Ah. He sees all… he must be right about so many things”. When the piper plays a tune they like, the little children follow in the dance. Except the lame one who wanted to but could not. More than one of those, aren’t there?
    Silly story really. It left out the children who said “I don’t think so” when the piper called them to the dance, and it left out the adults who never signed the contract. Unfortunate that so many of the adults here have ink stains on their fingers, and unfortunate that many little children are… gone.

As an aside, there is a little story as to how wanderer came by that information. Some of you know it already, but those who do not shouldn’t assume that wanderer underutilises the pm function. There you go. A tidbit for the soap addicts to chew on. Can you smell the roast cooking? Don’t fret. I’m sure someone will serve dinner soon. Who will it be?
    A character from a book comes to mind – Ellsworth Toohey. I used that character once to describe Tiassa, but it’s occurred to me that wanderer is far more deserving of the title. Whispers in the Shadows. Sounds vaguely like something Kevin Costner would use as a Sioux name. Pity so many of you think that the acronym is an accurate description.

There is your mentor. There is your guru. Whispers in the Shadows. He’ll even think the appellation a tribute. He’ll think this post is an admission of defeat, and won’t ever see a man turning from him in utter contempt. He can’t. He needs you all too much in order to know who he is.

You will all even assume it's him, especially, that I hold in contempt.

Onward.
    One by one, here is your fun.

Water:
    And how terribly disappointed you’d be when only one cared enough to show up.

No, that was not the only thing which kept your interest.

No, I won’t.
    But don't worry about it. You're not alone.

I did say it. And I wasn’t trying to be funny.

So are the girls. So are the boys with the girls, and so are the girls with the boys.
    When the lights are turned off, when the dance is done, you'll all go home... some in company, some alone. Metaphorically speaking.

Perhaps you should pay more attention to your being obsessed with it also.

Xev:
    Bestail, definitely not. Dark, definitely yes. Some times more than others. But you see, I’m a coward too. I know where my bread is. I put my mask on every day, but the problem is that I’m not very good at hiding. They’re seeing through it already, and the question now is how long I can maintain the illusion before I’m found out once more. It used to run in two year cycles, but my time is getting shorter, now.
    Do you know why I stopped drinking?
    Because when I drink, in company, I am no longer afraid to open my mouth. No longer afraid of the consequences.
    Christmas, 2003. You and Gendanken both know the events, but I’m unsure as to whether or not you understand the significance. It was both a culmination, and a revelation.
    It’s names which give me pause. Hubble. Galilleo. Salk. Curie. Feynman. Copernicus. Da Vinci. Einstein. I close my eyes, I recite names. And I breathe.

No. There isn’t any point in asking anyone who doesn’t know, and I only spoke to Gendanken here after you. I'm not even completely sure what it is I'm supposed to have been asking about.

That’s right. The name was chosen deliberately.
    Ask yourself these things, though.
    Who is Tyr?
    What does Fenris howl for?
    What are his chains made of?
    Who can break them?

You see your significance, I see mine. Perhaps someday you’ll learn why I think this thread, my response here, and being on these forums at all, is So. Utterly. Worthless.
    And why lou could send a zeppelin into the stratosphere.

Wanderer:
    Shakespeare wrote some words I liked once, words which made an impression on me, lasting. So did Gendanken.

You always think that. Congratulations, though. You’re not the only one.
    You responded beautifully. The other responded disappointingly.

Why?
    You don’t have any information to offer me. And you couldn’t sound less Australian if you tried. Use this: Lou is a city boy. It shows. Australia was a beautiful place, once. It’s dying now. He’s there. Use him. They’ll love you. Don’t be afraid to sacrifice the Jester – they’re replaceable.

I didn’t say I thought were the devil.

I have no idea which one you’re referring to. The first half of the second sentence is what they are not, and the second only what they purport to be.
    The word in the middle depends on the individual definition.

Nothing much else worth replying to.

Now.
    If there is anything anyone else would like to know, ask.

18. water the sea Registered Senior Member

19. WANDERER Banned Banned

Fenris Wolf
    Such a Knight's spirit. Such unappreciated nobility.

This is exciting.

I can see how your comments were innocent.
    They were meant to …illuminate rather than to defame.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

.Those were the focus, the details were more entertaining.
    But I like the strategy here.

"Do you have a flaw?"
    “I admit it, I chew on my nails.”
    Yes, but why?
    That's a question far more interesting than the first.

Diffusion through reinterpretation and subtle belittlement.
    Very well done.

I bet you’ve been working on that angle for months now; aching for the opportunity to ‘set things straight’.

Do tell.
    Here imitation becomes obvious and reverence is shown through it.
    He’s studied the past, learned from it and adjusted.
    He’s going to pay me back in kind.

I believe that since I got here I must have sent around 30 pm’s all in all.
    Most of them responses to other peoples inquiries.
    Not many when one considers how long I’ve been a member.

But you, my friend, have made it an art form.
    All you do is pm.
    It’s how you distract, and acquire sympathy and information and guidance and how you spread rumor and discredit from the backrooms. It’s how you show interest, while remaining ‘private’ and how you attempt to shatter influences in which you do not participate.
    It’s how you gather alliances and rally your fellows to the cause.

“Do you believe this guy?”
    “God, Wanderer is such an attention whore.”
    “You didn’t really fall for that, did you?”
    “Did you see what he said there?”
    “What does he mean?”
    “He’s pathetic.”
    “Do you think he’s doing this or that?”
    “He’s not like us. We’re …the original and unique, he’s a pretender.”
    “He has potential but….he needs a lot of work to reach me.”

Here another source of discomfort is tackled.
    He explains himself by claiming the other is just as guilty.

How does he know this?
    Ah, another must have been guiding him in his suppositions.
    A....mentor.

I’m waiting for dessert.

This “tidbit” is a morsel prepared lovingly and painstakingly by the head-chef just for us.
    Delicious.

I just threw the dinner-party, the entertainment and the nourishments were prepared by the guests.

The final blow that is supposed to shatter the threatening idol.
    Shadows?
    You know all about shadows, little wolf.
    Don’t unburden yourself from the clothes you wear so elegantly.

Here the insinuation is made that the target is both despicable and lacking the morality and dignity to change or to perceive his own depravity.
    The total annihilation of the persona is completed.
    Past, present and future are intertwined and no hope is possible.

Here he covers a possible interpretation from another perspective.
    He recognizes some of the implications of his declaration and prepares his defense, beforehand.
    He doesn’t want to fight; he is too far above such primitive behaviors.
    He saves himself from dishonour by placing himself on an honourable pedestal.
    Nice evasion.
    I’ve seen it used many times.
    Then he spits, as he turns to walk away in dignified disdain.

“He needs this” he says, and reminds us about his comparative aloofness. But he inadvertently contradicts himself by participating in the display.

I…like you Fenris.
    I know you might find that hard to believe, but I think that you are basically a decent fellow.

Fucked-up...but decent.
    Let's be friends.
    I offer another peace accord.

Now, now, we mustn’t discourage the young and impressionable.
    He will learn or he will not.

Use him?
    I barely know him.
    I think we’ve only exchanged two messages.

But the Doctor is his own man.
    I have no direct or motivated influence over him.

I think your curiosity is inflamed.
    You want to scratch it but only I have the scratcher.

Australia is dying now?
    Fuck! I’m planning a trip there for next February.
    Can you give me a tip on where I should visit?

Come little Fenris, you can do better than that.
    Or is this for the benefit of the watching crowds.
    I know that you know that I know that you know that I know.
    So let’s cut the bullshit.

She's magnificent, by the way.
    Fucking hot as hell…and with a mean right hook.

Well, it’s my personal opinion.
    Sometimes feeling safe brings out other parts of you.

Do I sense a hint of bitterness?

Ok.
    What's the best way to skin a cat?
    Which gaming system do you own?
    Who put the bop in the bop-shu-bop-shu-bop?
    Why, exaclty, do you hate me? Well, besides this.

Oh, goody!

Hmmmm…interesting.
    Little clues pointing to sexual tension.
    The third person, not participating, possibly involved in deeper connections with one of the two.
    Inconclusive, more info required.

Hints of a need to reconnect.
    An outstretched hand of reconciliation.

I’ve changed, I’m different, I am more worthy, I've come to my senses.
    A reminiscence on times gone-by when the clique was still intact, when he was still the lone male surrounded by magnificent female specimens.

He reminds her of their common traits, their past, of his loneliness, of his need to flee.
    Seeking, wanting, hoping, looking, dreaming.
    Could she have been it? How can he win her back?

Romantic imagery presented to pull at the heart-strings and cause affection; the misunderstood, poet, sulking in his solitude, wanting a muse to save him from his misery.

Insinuations about the central role of her presence in his being.
    She’s a possible messiah.
    Does he love her? Did he seek to replace her?

20. Xev Registered Senior Member

Fenris Wolf:
    I wondered.
    Of course the Norsk weren't much into duality.
    Fenris isn't evil, none of Hel's creatures are evil.
    And yet he, to me, seems to be entirely on the wrong side.
    But then we read De Sade and Ian Banks.
    Goddamn that was a long time ago.
    All those symptoms of degeneracy. To an extent the useful - those who aid (albeit unwittingly) in reviving through cutting out the weaklings.

War, oath-keeping, honor. Tyr is a God to whom men of action may pray.
    He's associated with law, authority if you wish. But it's a stretch.

Why, release.
    Of his own scalding hatred.

Iron.

Why, Fenris. But then he's torn in two by Vidar.

Not really. My life has little significance in the face of the universe and this thread none at all.

-Edit-
    Constantinos, shut the fuck up before you embarass yourself.

21. WANDERER Banned Banned

Yea, but I’m good at that.

22. WANDERER Banned Banned

Yea, but I’m good at that.

Hey, who told you my real name?

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

You post it all over your frickin' blog, ya pansy.