Martian Settlement, 2090

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Xylene, Apr 27, 2009.

?

Would you emigrate to Mars if you were given the chance?

1. Yes--there on the next flight

52.0%
  2. No

8.0%
  3. Maybe

32.0%
  4. Haven't given it much thought

8.0%
  1. draqon Banned Banned

this thread isnt about me. Focus on topic of the thread.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

One example:
    http://www.space.com/news/lmhinners_mco_991110.html
    "Accepted responsibility" = "Yes we made/ supplied crap"
    "but not the full blame" = "but we managed to shift some of the blame onto someone else as well so we're not really guilty".
    In other words "it's our fault, but not just our fault because nobody else spotted our mistake".
    That's engineering for you.
    Fun fun fun: all day, every day.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

what can I say, **** happens.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

We are focussing on the topic: as I and Mikenostic stated earlier: it's about feasibility, not wishful thinking.

Your approximation based on what?
    Your knowledge of engineering?

If you'd actually looked at any Mars landing plans you'd have probably seen various proposals for inflatable habitats, to be covered over with dirt.

8. draqon Banned Banned

the inflatables are way too risky to use on Mars.

No it is not my wishful thinking, Oli. I am not some rabbit claiming I am from Alpha Centauri.

Perminov, head of Roskosmos: http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/russia_mars_040510.html

9. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

We are focussing on the topic: as I and Mikenostic stated earlier: it's about feasibility, not wishful thinking.

exactly... you think the American public is going to get behind going to Mars with all the other crap going on... you're sadly mistaken.

You don't think that any government contract can be pulled at any given moment.. then you have no experience on how contracting works.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

So you're ignoring the bit where I said "covered in dirt"?
    To a considerable depth IIRC.

Brilliant!
    Or did you miss the the bit about
    Hmm, funding...
    From a country that had to cancel its two newest fighter projects, and couldn't even pay for test flights from one of the prototypes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And from that same link:

11. draqon Banned Banned

before we get to contracting issues, we need to establish a plan. And be optimistic, not dead kill pessimists.

Healthcare money needs to be invested instead into space!

12. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Ten years ago Nasa had plans to bring back Martian soil and bounce it into the Utah salt flats..... so far no soil samples...hmmm

13. draqon Banned Banned

enough with the vulgarity. Covering it with dirt? there are dust devils on Mars, small sharp rock makes a cut...and boom goes the thing.

Russia is doing better and better and gets enough funding for space programmes. It is the number one sattelite launcher in the world. It does space tourism. And in 2009, Mr. Deripaska will fly to ISS and people like him will be funding the future missions to Mars. so dont you worry...US will be behind in this race oncemore...

14. draqon Banned Banned

Oli already mentioned it, one time is enough. Yes the thing failed. Yes it happens. Lets move on.

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Vulgarity?
    Are you smoking something you shouldn't be?
    Dust devils?
    So what?
    The plan was to to build up a thickness of a couple of feet IIRC and maybe spray it with a solidifier.
    Sharp rocks?
    You think someone trained to fly a space craft might consider NOT putting sharp bits next to a flimsy film?

They wouldn't do space tourism if it didn't make a fat profit.
    And it still doesn't address the quote

16. draqon Banned Banned

thay spokesman just wants more money for the politicians around this project, traitor to the nation.

17. draqon Banned Banned

oh sorry Oli I though IIRC was some sort of slang for a disorder of some sort...

18. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

No ..entirely different project ... guess you weren't at the Nasa briefing down in Las Cruces
    Oli talking about a single probe that was launched to Mars... it flew.. the project I'm talking about had two birds.. one was to go to the surface the other was to bring it back

and contracting is everything when you're talking about aerospace

19. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

20. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Oli... I be glad to motor up the A11.. IIRC ...stop by the Heath and take some pics, though I'd be sad cause the aardvarks are gone... and then buy you a pint of Greene King Abbott Ale

I know you'd tell me Abbott Ale is swill

uke: and make a better recommendation ... I liked it tho

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

What have they got now the 'varks have gone?
    It's a few years since I was down that way (in fact I think I was still married

).
    It's not my part of the country (and no transport anymore).
    I'll try any beer once.

22. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Not sure, 15's I would think... that's what it looks like from goggle earth

been awhile since i was there too... obliviously... not even sure if Greene King is still in biz

only about 5000 miles for me

...sorry 8000 kilometers

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

That is a huge problem. What are the current endurance records for spaceflight? Every single Mars bound astronaut has to exceed endurance records in one single flight, exceeding cumulative records currently held.

If people get ill, we cannot rescue them, we cannot replace them easily. We need redundancy in crew membership, and lots of supplies and expertise, because re-supply is not an option either.

Living in cramped conditions with many members of crew for long periods will also cause problems. While getting people to Mars might be technically possible, economically it's not viable, and sociologically there are problems. So just why anyone would want to establish a colony is beyond me. If we can make space travel easier and cheaper, I'm sure the technological leaps would have a more direct benefit on Earth.