Martian Settlement, 2090

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Xylene, Apr 27, 2009.

?

Would you emigrate to Mars if you were given the chance?

1. Yes--there on the next flight

52.0%
  2. No

8.0%
  3. Maybe

32.0%
  4. Haven't given it much thought

8.0%
  1. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Ah, I wasn't aware of that--there is hope yet, it seems.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aerika Registered Senior Member

Curiosity and science, not economics, is the fuel for space exploration. Several countries have expressed the goal to establish a permanent space station on the moon.

And it isn't such a stretch to think that private companies will strip mine or mine the moon. Helium 3 comes to mind. A cargo bay of helium 3 supposedly could provide enough energy to fuel the world for a year. Honestly, who knows what we might find on mars.

As long as we are inquisitive about our world and science, the universe will have it's magnetic pull. Somewhere along the way, it should/could become economically feasible or advantages to colonize.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

I don't think so, in 1903, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky published his book on spaceflight, " "The Exploration of Cosmic Space by Means of Reaction Devices."

He'd recognised the need for multi stage rockets, and using hydrogen and oxygen as fuel. This was 106 years ago.

The 'once they said' argument is fallacious though. Xylene has used it too, but at our current state of scientific understanding, we have a good vision of the future, and we understand that reaction engines are our only current hope for exploring space. Warp drives make for good SciFi, but aren't realistic anytime soon.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aerika Registered Senior Member

A book written by Konstantin Tsiolkovsky is certainly not representative of the general population in 1903.

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Haha. Funny thing is, I take bong hits almost everyday, and can still share your realistic outlook on this (i.e. will not happen in the 21st century).

draq is on something much stronger than pot. Haha.

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

When space flight tickets are currently 20 million dollars PER PERSON, oh yes it is.
    -what happens if the rocket explodes (rockets and space shuttles have been known to do that from time to time)
    -where is the technology going to come from? geniuses? will they work for free?
    You are just really not fathoming the current cost of this, even if we have a few breakthroughs in tech between now and then, a manned trip to Mars is going to be astronomically (no pun intended) expensive.

Curosity and science may be the fuel, but funding is what buys that fuel. No funding, no research.
    Curiosity and science aren't helping 20 million dollar space flight tickets dow down either.
    And as I mentioned earlier, answer my question on how you would get the tickets down to $1000 at this moment, before you post anything else about anything else.
    When you do, then you'll have a more realistic point of view. Until then, you're sounding like a dreamer.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

That's a fallacious argument too,

1, The truth is not determined by general consensus.

2, There are some people right now that don't believe we've been to the Moon. Opinion is irrelevant.

Simply, travel into space by rocket was envisaged, and realised feasible, 106 years ago. That invalidates your claim. Cheerio.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I've thought about that and either way could be used to argue against this.

If we have been to the moon,
    -we haven't been back since. Why? Funding? Politics? ---something that Aerika doesn't seem to have an answer for.

If we never went to the moon,
    -means we really didn't even have the tech to go to the moon and thus were farther behind technologically than we thought

Either argument does not bode well for the 2090 Mars trip.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

Aerika and xylene are guilty of imagining that technology can and will advance and magic away all the problems we have with long haul spaceflight. But like you say, it's not just about technology, but money. If there's no gain (and there isn't), there's no point establishing a colony on Mars.

On money, and aerospace, just over 40 years ago, Concorde made it's maiden flight, and back then, we foresaw that by now, all passenger jets would be supersonic, surpassing Concorde's speed, and flight times would just get shorter and shorter. But no. Economics took things a different direction. Cheap flights were the major market, and supersonic flight just a flash in the pan.

13. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

EXACTLY!
    We humans have all the intelligence and capability in the world to do something like that. Unfortunately, emotions and some of the 'seven deadly sins' step in and ensure we'll never reach that capacity.

Simple issue there...people and crews trained to run and operate something like that.
    Plus, like I said, if you want something to be truly successful, everyone, not just the rich should have access to it. Fuck the rich anyway.

14. draqon Banned Banned

to all of you non-believers, if you cannot imagine a future of space exploration why bother come to this thread?

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Maybe because some of us know the difference between imagining and doing.

16. draqon Banned Banned

well this thread was created about Mars which for many of you is already a mythological issue, meanwhile electronics like phologistician works on are something he believes in because its there right before him. There is a reason why Mars has been so far from us for so long, because people either refuse to believe its possible and as a result do not take appropriate measures or they are plain ignorant of the need to explore space.

Yes this is a thread. Yes we are talking and not doing. But that does not mean that in future we will not make it a reality. Plus I gave proof behind my statements that countries are planning a visit on Mars and Moon. Aries is not a concept, its reality. Same goes with Roskosmos, its all a reality. The sooner you people realize this, the better for all of us.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

I don't work in electronics.

I did however once work for people that made parts for satellites, therefore I understand the need for space exploration. I also understand that manned space flight is largely a waste of money.

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

rather the difference between imagining and the feasiblity of building or doing something

19. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

you have no dollars and sense

20. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Plus I gave proof behind my statements that countries are planning a visit on Mars and Moon. Aries is not a concept, its reality. Same goes with Roskosmos, its all a reality. The sooner you people realize this, the better for all of us.

yeah...right... man you buy into hype

must be something strong than pot... lsd?

21. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

slight difference btwn the moon and mars

22. Aerika Registered Senior Member

I didn't realize that if I typed real big my opinion carried more weight in a scientific community. I get it, you are skeptical but space colonization/exploration doesn't hinge on our dialogue. Whether or not I answer your question about the tickets the outcome is well out of our hands.

Here is a link of private companies that offer – or are planning to offer – equipment and services geared towards spaceflight, both robotic and human spaceflight.

23. Xylene Valued Senior Member

The only major problem I can see with getting to Mars is the approximately 260 days to make the journey by Hohmann transfer orbit, and the 455 days people would have to wait on Mars before making the return journey, a total of 975 days.