Martian Settlement, 2090

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Xylene, Apr 27, 2009.

?

Would you emigrate to Mars if you were given the chance?

1. Yes--there on the next flight

52.0%
  2. No

8.0%
  3. Maybe

32.0%
  4. Haven't given it much thought

8.0%
  1. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Living on mars..much less believing Nasa hype.. check out the success ratio of flights to mars..on both sides

I want some of what you all are smoking :m:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:m:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

smoking? what are you reading?

Those where the beginning of space exploration age...the success ration to Mars has gone up quite a bit. Spirit and Oppurtinity have over-succeeded in their task many times fold.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

little bit of difference in sending a RC vs a manned flight... much less lifting all the gear necessary to have a long term habitat

ain't going to happen..not in your life time or your great grand childrens..

don't get me wrong it would be cool .. but not practical

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Yes it will happen. I will make everything to make it happen.

8. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

bong away dude .. you'll get there

9. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

and House is a real doctor too:crazy:

10. draqon Banned Banned

what are you talking about?

11. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

this is what I'm talking about

12. draqon Banned Banned

you have a dream PieAreSquared?

do you think John Glenn had a dream when he was a boy, too? What do you think his dream was? Do you think he was ridiculed from dreaming about the moon?

In hundredrs of years in future who will remember you? What legacy will your name leave on this century?

13. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

if you have a dream then pursue it.. you're not going to get there from a post count

14. draqon Banned Banned

Sciforums for me is experessions of my emotions. I really need it as I have a slight inability to fully express and share my emotions with others because I mistrust them to understand and handle what I feel. My high post count is not a result of my wish to increase it but rather my extreme love of this place as it helps me open myself to others without hesitation, that I face in real life.

15. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

16. draqon Banned Banned

17. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

I'm not trying to shoot you down--k?

But when you say you going to make mars happen... you need some real life --hands on experience.

you're going to need to toss aside your emotional baggage ... or you'll never get a clearance

take a leap of faith and find a woman or guy if that floats your boat

18. draqon Banned Banned

I found a woman who floats my boat

I am doing what I need in terms of education to reach a further step.

19. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

good on both accounts

you're like in the Seattle area too right?.. that's a plus in aerospace

20. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Look at a relief map of Mars and you'll see that the northern hemisphere is of lower elevation than the southern, with the exception of some high country at the North Pole. So most of the northern hemisphere will be flooded eventually when the planet is terraformed. There's little point in putting any permanent settlements onto the northern plains, but temporary camps would be useful for checking out the mineral resources of the region before it's flooded.

21. draqon Banned Banned

Xylene Mars gravity is too weak for terraforming to be stable and of great benefit...There is a reason as to why all the great lakes and oceans of Mars are gone yet only canyons and waterways dry are left.

22. Xylene Valued Senior Member

If a viable biosphere could be established on Mars, could it sustain the atmosphere? I have read some years ago that a planet needs to be at least a quarter of Earth's mass in order to have enough gravity to retain an atmosphere, once it's established. The mass of Mars is way below that figure, unfortunately, so It's likely that even when it was terraformed, Mars would not be able to hold on to its new atmosphere--though I've no idea how long it would take for the air to leak away if it was just left to its own devices. Moreover, I'm not sure whether an active biosphere would be sufficient to sustain an atmosphere; I'm guessing probably not, because Mars is effectively geologically dead. On Earth there is contant replenishment of the atmosphere because of an active geological cycle, but on Mars that is missing.

23. draqon Banned Banned

thats not quite true...Mars is still active geologically. There is some volcanic activity as geothermal...also the carbon dioxide cycle exists on Mars as a result of which North and South Poles have changing levels of carbon dioxide ice during seasons. There are also dust devils prevalent on the surface.