martial artists on sciforums?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Nov 3, 2005.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

does anybody do any martial arts or combat training here? if so wich style/method/type do you study, do you cross train?, and do you lift wieghts and go to the gym aswell as martial arts training?

i do shaolin gong fu, cross train with muay thai, boxing, jeet kun do, and taiji/bagua. i also lift wieghts and do other types of gym training/aerobics/circuit training etc

peace

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

I used to do Kikua shu kungfu (wushu pakua all style,is what it says on my certificates) but that was when i was 14-17.

Ive been meaning to get back into it but dont have much time now a days.

I got up to purple although would have been red if i wasnt lazy, But i am a football master now.

Do you understand what Bruce Lee means when he says "when you become a master then you forget everthing you have learnt" (well somin along those lines).

How long have you been training??

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I used to take tae kwon do classes when I was little, but never in my adult life.
    There is one residual that I did keep from my youth, and that was the stretches. My current exercise is to jog four times a week, and many of the warmup-stretches that I do before I start running are all from my Tae Kwon Do classes.

I do miss it though. It was fun. Nowadays, I'll occasionally turn off a light switch with my foot for old times sake.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

ive been training in martial arts for just over 17 years now. and yes i do know exactly what he ment by that statement, personally i think training is useless if its not instinctive, so you need to train as so you dont have to think, it comes naturaly like a reaction.

8. valich Registered Senior Member

Ish Shan Rue. Are you a black belt yet?

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i dont have belts in my martial arts, hey belts are ok and all but i dont think they mean much, black belt comes from the old days when everybody used to train and there uniform and belt would turn black after years of training, the blacker the belt the more training done, (or more rolling in the mud)

peace

10. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I have studied three arts, two Taekwondo styles, one of which incorporated jujitsu, kung fu, and kickboxing (kinda like jeet kune do, but not the brand name) and American karate.

the mixed style was by far the best, it has been a while but I still have most of the reflex moves, like when I almost run into someone going around a corner, I throw up a guard I learned. moreover, I find when I am doing other things (like working in the kitchen of a restaurant) I catch myself using the footwork techniques I have learned. I also find my balance and body control has been maintained.

11. phlogistician Banned Banned

Used to study Judo, and Jiu Jitsu, and now catch the odd lesson or spar with a friend who is a Kung Fu (Wing Tsun) instructor.

I lift weights a little, have a punchbag, and fool about learning Iaido moves with a bokken.

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah man a little training is better than none atall, i do weapons training also, i like bokkens me and my training partner always sparr with our training swords, he uses his katana bokken i use my tai chi (taiji) one its good training fighting with weapons with sparring partners.

peace.

13. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

Yeah thats the way all sports should be, instinctive. Do think your at that stage with your martial arts yet???

Yeah for me the belt system kind of what put me in the end, the kata started to bore me. i left with the intent of starting thia boxing but one thing led to another and that never happened.

Do you take classes in east London???

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah my reactions in combat and training are purely istinctive to me now and have been for a good few years,

yes i train at the shaolin temple in brixton near tuffnel park station, and i go to one of the best muay thai gyms in england at a KO gym on globe road in bethnal green, i havent done muay thai for long though im new to it, but ive done other martial arts for so long that i pick it up really quick,

i really think you should start training again its fun if you train properly, and it does improve your life i so many ways, very good outlet aswell, i think you would like muay thai training take it up if you can and Taiji is very benificial as a cross training style to compliment any fighting system.

peace.

15. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

Know any good martial arts places near wood green???

By the way how much training is too much training?

16. Tirstan Registered Member

If you are too sore to function in your daily life, you are training too much. Be it understood that the first two weeks that begin a new training regime you have never performed before, your body will be sore, but as you train more often and are consistent with training, your body can adapt to just about any training regime.

You should also be aware of any physical limits that you have and respect them. For instance, My knees do not perform well when I run frequently. I only run 2 or three times a week. If I run more, my knees will start clicking and I will not be unable to run for weeks.

Someone also said they were bored with kata.

Kata is designed to instruct you on the proper posture and movement of the style you are studying. Incorperated with bunki (sure this is spelled wrong, the meaning of the movements of kata) and repetition a regular training routine will raise your defensive and offensive actions to a nonconscious automatic level. Kata can be an intrigal part of this(proper form being stressed). After you have been training for years you can create your own kata based on attacks which you think have a high likelyhood of being used on you.

Belts are for people who need their hand held and told they are doing a good job in order to prevent the person from quiting. Belts are irrelavant. Knowledge is key.

Studied shotokan and shurinru karate and juijitsu. Don't have a whole lot of respect for tykwondo (pardon my butchering of the terms I know how to pronounce them, but my spelling stinks) because of the emphasis on high kicks. Most syle recognize that high kicks are extremely dangerous to use even if you are very skilled. Humans are faster with quick movements from a solid base. Juijitsu is a beautiful style with emphasis on human anatomy with specific regards to how you can use someones anatomy against them. The ability to throw or control someone of much greater strength than you is intoxicating and fun.

Would love to train wing chung. Love the idea of using strikes as blocks to destroy your opponents weapons.

Train to fight so you don't have to fight. I have not been in a fight since I started training... It has been about 15 years of nonviolence. I do not back down from a confrontation, but offer other alternatives to violent retort. Hard to argue against logic.

Most situations can be delicately diffused. The exception being when alcohol is envolved.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

hey if your in wood green you should have no trouble getting to bethnal green, go to globe road in bethnal green (just off roman road) then look for the KO muay thai gym on globe road, its a really good good training school in muay thai, but if you want the best gong fu (kung fu) then you have to go brixton to the shaolin temple there, its 5 mins away from tuffnel park station in brixton, the shaolin monks from the chinese temple came to england tryng to spread the word of gong fu, (and make money for there poor schools in china with english currency) seriously is worth trvaeling to south for man, you wont be dissapointed with the shaolin temple in brixton its the real deal not no BS.

peace

18. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

I know this question might sound little light headed but, are you actualy tought by shoalin monks. I always thought it was just summin put in for advertisement of the style????

Another question which will sound a little light headed, when your training is there room in you life for smoking ganja???If so how much room???

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

nah man this isnt no bullshit wushu crap, a group of shaolin monks and 1 abbot traveled from china, and settled in a temple in south london, they are real 34th generation shaolin warrior monks, the head teacher there is called shifu shi yanzi, he is a very powerfull man, i dwarf him in size, but his power dwarfs me just as much, he is incredible.

http://www.shaolintempleuk.org/stuk/index.html

here check it out.

well about the weed i personally do smoke weed (not cigs) alot of traditional chinese martiala rtists actually smoke weed, but if you want my real advise, dont smoke the weed while training or before training or after training, maybe smoke some now and then on your day of rest or when meditating,
    if you got any other questions man just ask, and hey where abouts in wood green do you live in, my wife is from north london near seven sisters/tottenham, you need martiala rts in those areas there rough.

peace

20. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

Thanks man, ill consider you the resident sciforums monk.

HEY!!!! They're based in archway!!! Im in Tottenham, that only a 30min drive from me!!!! I used to work on Holloway road for a few years, that area is like home away from home to me. Im suprised i never heard of them before(probably did but might have thought it too good to be true).

Im definately coming down to try it out.

What days are you down there?

You seem too young to be maried, if ive got it right your only about 20.

21. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

Since you've asked if i had anyother questions, let me see if you can answer me this.

Ever since the age of 11 almost every night i would train(do weights, sit ups, press ups, ect ect). I had this, almost relegious, routine till i was about 20, i started to smoke more weed and got lazy. Recently ive gotten off the weed, but im still finding it hard to get back into any kind of regular training.

The problem isnt that im not training, it that when i dont train i cant seem to sleep properly, eat properly, feel worn out most of the time and generaly feel unheathy.

I get much more exercise than any normal person but this doesnt seem to be enough just to keep normal body functions at optimum level. I only feel good when i tyre myself to sleep almost everyday. My question is have i got myself into a routine for life, because of the amount of training i done when my body was growing, why does my body need to train regularly just to keep normal functions in a good state???

22. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Taekwon-Do as my main art (did WTF, went away, now am for about 6 years in ITF Taekwondo), but I add a lot of self invented moves. A pity I'm not allowed to use them in training fights. We have a lot of fun together, so I really enjoy that club, great people!

Thinking of taking a bit of Aikido in Summer, because I want to improve my ability to catch hits and kicks in mid attack and then break the arm or leg.

I also train with a Jo (128cm white oak hitting stick), it's truly a great thing! I add it as an additional leg (hey, two legs hitting at different height at once!) and have self-invented some really nifty moves.
    Also a lot of useless ones that serve only to look good, then the fight with a shadow looks more like a dance, what I really enjoy too, most enjoyable activity!

That said I don't really train for fighting, I have quit tournaments (they're too artificial) and I've always have trained because it makes me feel really good.
    I like to be able to hike, kick, jump, fly, run a few steps on a wall (matrix style),
    it makes me feel really, really alive.
    If it helps me a bit with self defence - I don't mind, but that's not why I'm in for.

oh and a trivia

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I frequently train at my room while waiting for replies at Sciforums - like right now

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  23. orestes Strategos Registered Senior Member

I have been wanting seriously to pick up a martial art...any styles that rely less on kicking, as I have a bad knee. My uncle takes Aikido, calls it the lazy man's martial art, due to his inflexibility. Hah, but I did learn quite a bit from him.

But any suggestions as to what style I should begin with?