Marriage's 'dark side'

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by KilljoyKlown, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, I don't have a temper, so that helps. And I have 2 kids so I know how to explain things in small words.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

So you talk to your husband like he was a kid? How does that go over?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

17 years and counting, so apparently its fine.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enoc Registered Senior Member

But how many people are above 40 and are still virgins or incels (involuntary celibates)? Also how many people die as old-age virgins in our world?

I know it's very hard to find statistics on this kind of personal things but I would really like to know.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  8. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I had not come across the term 'incel' before, so I thank you for teaching me something new this day. As often the case, Wikipedia has something to offer on the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involuntary_celibacy

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

was draqon an incel?

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

How many of the items below can you put a check next to?

To pull things together a little, here's a summary of incel definitions that was first published on the original involuntary celibacy site, Alana's Involuntary Celibacy Project :

•Someone who has never dated, or not dated in a long time, but would like to
    •The state of never being in a relationship
    •Long periods of not dating anyone
    •Those who, for one reason or another, have difficulty meeting someone for a sexual relationship
    •No or very little experience with sex and dating
    •Someone with experience of dating and sex, but not for many years
    •Those who are in a relationship, but for one reason or another their partner desires sex very infrequently or not at all
    •The state of being sexually inactive while wishing to be otherwise
    •Inabilty to form relationships
    •Married, but the "spark" is gone: little or no sex, little or no love
    •Those who have the intense difficulty dating, searching for a mate

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I would suggest that there are a number of factors that may be contributing to an increase in the number of incels.

The family unit was our former standard for sexual relationship which doubled as a reproductive unit. Commitment to marriage is no longer seen as necessary, so the concept of lasting relationships has also fallen into question.

The proliferation of the internet and social media has seemingly led to a significant amount of on-line dialogue and 'virtual' relationships. These provide the benefits of net-working and psychological support but they do not address all of the physical needs we have as social beings.

Unemployment and loss of income are significantly depressing factors which leave little energy for libido and desire. Additionally many people are not able to contemplate a relationship which does not involve financial factors being among the more important of considerations.

IMO, there are significant opportunities to meet and mingle that do not require outlay of money, though perhaps this may not be the case in highly populated areas. :shrug:

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

From this site, I've seen some that say they choose to be celibate because of women and how gold digging and deceitful they are. I think there are a lot of men who don't like women because we are not mommies wanting to take are of them. That women don't 'respect' them enough.

13. ScribJellyDonut Registered Senior Member

The article is ... elementary. They are saying marriage is good, except when you do it incorrectly (i.e. marry someone who is ultimately bad for you for one reason or another).

Hey you know, seatbelts are good and save countless lives. The 'dark side' is if you wear them around your neck, they can actually kill you in an accident. Let's do research and write articles about it.

Food is great and you need it to live. The 'dark side' is if you eat too quickly and are over gluttonous, you can get something lodged in your throat and it will kill you. Let's do research and write articles about it.

A pen is an invention that allows one to scribe ideas and easily communicate them with others, as well as build upon those ideas to solve more complex problems that otherwise wouldn't have been possible to do in one's head. The 'dark side' is if you try to jam it in your eye it can kill you. Let's do research and write articles about it.

Sorry to be cynical, but it's sort of the truth. I've been listening to a lot of Lewis Black stand-up lately.