Marines refuse to leave Berkeley despute Council resolution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by S.A.M., Feb 3, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Looks like the civil disobedience movement of Gandhi to me. :yay:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Till Eulenspiegel Registered Member

But you do remember Muslims blowing themselves up before both Iraq and/or Afghanistan. If you don't I do as do many other people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Till Eulenspiegel Registered Member

There is no way the marines should shut down their recruiting station. They should keep it open for those citizens of Berkely who wish to visit it and there are citizens like that as can be seen from the video in which they were kept from entering by demonstrators.

If Berkely wants to refuse to allow the federal government to have a recruiting station in their city the federal government should stop all federal funding that goes to the city.

Actions should have consequences.

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/41464.html

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Was it spontaneous combustion?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I disagree with that. Under that theory the marines are speaking up in order to recruit people, and Berkley is punishing *them* for it.

Refusing Berkley federal funds is itself a protest against Berkley, by the federal government. Freedom of speech is applies to everyone, including people expressing themselves at the federal level. If Berkley can protest the federal govenrment's recruitment message on behalf of its citizens, then the feds (on behalf of the American people generally) can protest against Berkley. The cessation of payments is a form of expression, because it clearly evidences the withdrawal of support.

9. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/05/BAHVUS06B.DTL

OORAH!

10. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

"I hope they're not acting out of intimidation," said Code Pink spokeswoman Medea Benjamin. "Berkeley is a city of peace, and a recruiting station does not fit Berkeley's values."

That's exactly what they're doing.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Then you also might want to hammer the gubmint for protesting against Montana. A few years ago Montana decided to lift (or at least not enforce) speed limits on Interstate (i.e. federally funded) highways in rural areas. The goverment disagreed with that and told Montana that they would not fund any federal highway where the speed limit was not enforced.
    Same goes with (I believe Cali and Colorado) states trying to decriminalize marijuana. The government is trying to override those rules as well.
    The Marine Corps, and its recuiting stations are federally owned.
    Federal > State > local
    Berkley really doesn't have much ground to stand on.

12. sandy Banned Banned