"Marijuana Rules!" (I mean...Laws)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Diode-Man, Apr 9, 2009.

?

Should we legalize Sir Green?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. No, No, No, No, No (the broken record take)

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Yes, with prescription

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Yes, you can grow it with prescription

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Quick OT, John, do you happen to know what is in meth that ruins one's teeth, and the chemical process that makes that happen?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Does anyone? There are a few hypotheses out there, most relating to bad hygiene, but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence one way or the other.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I just can't see the correlation between meth and ruining your teeth.
    For example, I could see meth causing heart problems or a heart attack because it does indeed hike your heart rate right up there.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No, that what Google is for, that way phrases like GIYD exist: so people on forums can blurt it out when people like you ask stupid questions.

11. Roman Banned Banned

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

It been seen in users of pharmacy grade meth and intervenes meth users so we can conclude that its not the physical interaction of the the meth compound with the teeth that is causing it.

13. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The only stories I hear about alcohol and cold are when someone is too drunk to realize they're getting frostbitten and they keep standing outside taking the damage. What ever happened to wearing warm clothes? Then you can enjoy life, function productively and don't have to be wasted all the time just to beat the cold.

14. The Breaker Registered Member

You apparently didn't read my post very carefully. Heroin has very few long term effects on the body. Meaning, when and if you quit, recovery is usually complete. Methamphetamine, and many stimulants in general, tend to damage the serotonin and dopamine pathways in the brain causing long term depression, anxiety, and learning disorders. While I'm not 100% sure about this, I think that meth causes a much larger dopamine release in the brain, making it more psychologically addicting. If potential for overdose and death are the criteria for physical harm, than why are LSD and marijuana even on the list, their has never been a recorded death from either. Many of the potential harms you mention for heroin, collapsed veins, pulmonary problems, ect, can be avoided by simply using a route of administration other than injection and using a pure product.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I don't know, remember the opiate wars? smoked or injected it seems heroin is horrendously addictive, long term aftereffects or not.

16. The Breaker Registered Member

Addictive? Yes. But in terms of long term organ damage it is no where near the level of methamphetamine.

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

True, but you are in much higher danger of OD-ing on heroin than you are meth.
    Heroin is so powerful and dangerous that if not careful, you won't be around long enough to sustain long term organ damage.
    But I know you mean though.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

What go is long term side effects if your dead? Even if they don't OD I've seen some of these people just wither up and die, they stop eating.

19. The Breaker Registered Member

The overwhelming majority of emergency room visits for illicit drugs are for methamphetamine. The potential for overdose is as great, if not greater than for heroin. How many stop eating because of methamphetamine abuse? Surely, a much larger percentage than heroin abusers. The drug directly makes you not hungry by releasing serotonin and norepinephrine. The potential for physical harm is much greater from methamphetamine than from heroin. Methamphetamine is highly neurotoxic and and can disrupt the balance of hormones in the body months or years after it's abuse.

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

If you stop eating, you would still last at least a few days. You can hypothetically OD on heroin in one sitting (which could be your last).
    I can name several celebrities who died from a heroin overdose, but none from meth.

21. The Breaker Registered Member

You can also OD on methamphetamine in one sitting or binge, but we are really getting into technicalities here. The point is that the graph is flawed.

22. The Breaker Registered Member

Wow, just wow. All drugs have potential medicinal benefits, including tobacco and alcohol. A number of illnesses have been shown to be less prevalent in tobacco users. Low dose alcohol use has been shown to be healthy for the heart (this goes for all alcohol, although red wine does have a chemical, resveratrol, which offers additional heart benefits). Marijuana, however, has many potential health benefits and I suggest you read up on the endocannabinoid system before you make another comment like this again.

23. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I agree 10 times.