Marijuana has NO medical purposes and should be classified like heroin

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cosmictraveler, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Pot smoking under most current laws (including Washington State) is illegal in all public places.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I knew problems would happen, not this one in particular, but I've been against legalizing it for many other reasons. This is just an added problem for I couldn't see the legal pot being sold for more than the illegal pot, who'd of thought that would happen?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

business 101, lower cost, increase demand, make profits on volume, shut down competition by any means necessary.
    politics 101, fuck who ever for money and power, no matter the extent or circumstances.
    believe it or not this is the problems.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

all I can really say in this is...

'Murica!

Where decisions like the following happen:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

i've stated this twice already, you can test positive loooooooonnnnngggggg after the fact for MJ.
    have any idea how many "drunk drivers" there would be if alcohol tested the same way?
    that's right, you could go to jail RIGHT NOW for that shot or 2 you had on new years.
    that is a very unfair use of drug tests and we need a solution for it

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I didn't realize that alcohol can be tested for over a week. How long does it take to get 2 shots of alcohol out of your system.

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Very quickly.
    You are confusing "testing positive" with being impaired. Testing for pot would have to be established as it is with alcohol. "Testing positive" for alcohol isn't the same as being over the legal limit.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

apparently my post 305 was misunderstood.
    let me clarify.
    let's say you work for someone that drug test once every 2 weeks.
    if booze or MJ is found in your system you get fired.
    you could NEVER smoke a joint without getting fired.
    OTOH, you could spend a lot of your time buzzed on booze without ever getting caught.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

i'm not confusing anything.
    the ability to detect MJ in your system long after the fact has been used to screw many hardworking people out of their retirement.

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

...but it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Making it legal has nothing to do with detection. You still have to follow whatever rules your employer has.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

as to the topic . . .
    marijuana probably does have health benefits.
    its use for glaucoma has long been recognized.
    the plant can yield resins and fibers for use in industry.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A number of medications are currently in use to treat glaucoma. Your doctor may prescribe a combination of medications or change your prescription over time to reduce side effects or provide a more effective treatment. Typically medications are intended to reduce elevated intraocular pressure and prevent damage to the optic nerve.

Eye drops used in managing glaucoma decrease eye pressure by helping the eye’s fluid to drain better and/or decreasing the amount of fluid made by the eye. Drugs to treat glaucoma are classified by their active ingredient. These include: prostaglandin analogs, beta blockers, alpha agonists, and carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. Combination drugs are available for patients who require more than one type of medication. Choose a category above to learn more.

16. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

i guess both of you never read these links i supplied on the medical aspect.
    http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/...r-weeks-life-is-hell/?hl=krash661#entry743355
    read post #16 and #18

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My attorney says sixty days, to be safe.

18. leopold Valued Senior Member

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

To be honest I think that the push to legalize pot is to make a profit by those who are growing the stuff in America as well as other countries and get pot taxed so that the government can take more of the citizens money to use for themselves. There is some, but little, help medically speaking that taking pot can do that other drugs that are already on the market are doing.

OK so it doesn't have the small side effects as SOME of the other medications have but there are some medications available that do not cause side effects either. I really am against legalizing it for a number of reasons, children getting to use it, driving while impaired, legal pot selling for more than illegal pot and on and on.

Why do we need pot to begin with, ever ask yourself why you smoke it? I don't smoke it and don't drink either, perhaps a glass of wine every now and then, so I've come to realize that I do not need to spend my money on getting high and using my money for more important things like vacations, new clothes, new car, new motorcycle, new house, new furniture and on and on. Pot is very expensive today as compared to the 1960's when it was 5.00 a ounce of good stuff for then. Nope I just want to stay away from pot nowadays and am still the person I was , so to say, as I was back in the 1960's.

20. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's definitely part of it. Another part is that people want to smoke it. Opposing it are all the criminals who profit from it, and the police who have gotten tens of billions a year to fight the "war on drugs."
    We don't. Nor do we need alcohol, music, TV, movies, plays, vacations, motorcycles, new furniture, art, sailboats, private airplanes etc.
    Why do you need wine to begin with?

21. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

according to you, alcohol should be illegal also. are you against alcohol being legal, and if not, why ?
    not only that, but it appears you do not read what has been stated or submitted. that or you just can not grasp it.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I understand that many people have many great things that they claim pot can do. That does not mean it doesn't have some wrong things it does as well. To weigh them both I'd think we shouldn't legalize it for the scales of balance tips in the favor of not legalizing pot. I'd agree with you that legalizing alcohol wasn't a very smart idea to begin with we are stuck with it and it is destroying lives every day by traffic accidents, alcoholism and ramifications of its use that are damaging to society. So I will say that as time goes by more and more destructive things will happen by allowing pot to become legal which is just another fuel for the fire of problems we have.

I'd imagine that this legalization of pot will one day lead to other drugs that are now also illegal to be sold as a way to curb those people wanting to use heroin, crack and cocaine. I know you're going to say that can't happen because they are so addictive but I think if more people want to have those drugs allowed they will vote for them to be allowed as well. Time will tell but I'm not going to change my mind about pot becoming legal but do think a decriminalization should take place.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I have a glass of wine about every 2 months or so. I really don't know why I do and perhaps soon I won't even have that.

I see now that the legal businesses are selling pot for more than the illegal dealers are, isn't that interesting, trying to make more than it is actually worth?

As for consumption of the items you posted I agree that we don't need those things you mention but they don't cause problems unless they are somehow used in ways that make them harmful like driving a car,airplane, motorcycle, boat, or turning up the volume of radios to annoy others while stoned would be a cause to show how pot can and does do harm when abused. If something is dangerous would you want it to be legal? Lets legalize murder, rape, embezzlement and all of the other crimes for that way we won't be spending billions to prevent them as well.