Mandatory Gun Ownership causes 89% drop in crime

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Apr 21, 2007.

1. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

And you're using movies to set policy? What a joke. Just because you don't hear about people dying in automobile accidents doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info section/statistics/stats-usa.htm

Look at the statistics. More people are killed by cars in the USA than guns.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orcot Valued Senior Member

africa's believe in mumbo jumbo is also a problem but not really relevant to the thread. Yust like to say that because I somewhat give the first "racist" but true answer

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

If you don't know the difference I don't think you are responsible enough to handle a firearm.

A) Revolver is good for close range defence
    b) A fully automatic firearm is an offence weapon. There should be no reason for you to kill large groups of people. Do you bears attack in packs or something?

In South Africa 52 people die every day in attacks. A large amount of those attacks are ye olde AK-47 (thanks russia!). Your analogy is a little off. Its nice to have a fast car, but you are comparing the wrong things. The analogy would be more correct if you were comparing a car to a tank rather than a car to a fast car.

I also hope you can understand the difference between the speed of a vechile and that fire rate of a firearm.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. orcot Valued Senior Member

... yes but they are... acceptable their accident killings are generally not (or not in our view of accidents)

8. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Everyone believes in mambo jumbo.. .have a look at your Mormons in Utah. Enough said.

9. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Thats a dumb stat. More people own cars.

10. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

And I think that you are in no way qualified to make this statement.

No---they were both made for the same reason. There's no distinction between "made for offence" and "made for defence". They were made for shooting. A pistol at short ranges, and an automatic weapon at intermediate distances.

Why is it off? A person buys an assault rifle to shoot, as they buy a fast car to drive. Both can be used safely and unsafely, and both can cause fatalities if used unsafely.

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

If you are interested in per capita stats, then I invite you to find your own references.

12. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

In south africa we have a phrase for people like you... ja nee. Directly translated it means.. yes/no.. but it looses a lot in the translation.

PS, I was brought up on a farm, and worked for several years on Inkwenkwezi (a game farm) where I had to deal with the big 5. I am a qualified PH (Professional Hunter), and with my FGASA qualifications, I have SKS 3 for dealing with dangerous animals. I know firearms.

And no, you would not use a full automatic firearm for intermediate range. Once you put a firearm over to afrikaans (automatic) it becomes very inaccurate.

13. orcot Valued Senior Member

Mormos are a bid crazy but at least the stay to them selfs most of the time for the weirder stuff.
    Annyway raping young women to cure HIV and all that aother stuff. Makes that some countries in the region actually have a goverment plan to spread out HIV. They might not now it themself but they have by their own stupidity.

14. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Since your comments are correct I cant respond to them. Our rural people are as dumb as most rural folk everywhere. They rape more than young woman.. they rape babies.. like gang rape 6 month old babies *gets sick at the idea*, and today I learnt two more people got hacked to death for being witches.

Its sick. But on the flipside, this ignorance can be traced to Apartheid. The afrikaaner created an education system designed to keep the bantu stupid.

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I don't exactly know what this means, but if you want to make a point then make one.

And I've been hunting deer in south Texas all my life and own several guns myself. This doesn't have a bearing on the conversation, though.

Yet that's their principal use in the military.

This isn't really going anywhere...

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

A point of definition: Automatic in fire arms means a gun that when you pull the trigger and hold it back fires all of the ammunition in the magazine or clip, the guns that most of you are talking about are Semi-Automatic, you have to pull the trigger each time that you want the gun to fire, Machineguns, automatics, are generally unavailable to civilian, Illegal machineguns are available any were, Semi Auto are legally available to any none criminal or court ordered mentally comitted individual, in America and their rate of fire is not much faster that any other fire arm if you want to hit a target, I can fire a bolt action, or a lever action, as fast as a semi-automatic if I want to hit a point target, with out aiming I can fire a semi-auto as fast as a machine gun, but I won't hit a thing, recoil is the main factor in the speed in which you can hit your target, and with more recoil the recovery time to bring your sights back on target gets longer because the gun is pulled farther off target, In the military the only times that I ever fired in full auto was from vehicles, my personnel weapons I always use in semi-auto, because I could hit what I aimed at faster and more reliably and acquire targets faster.

17. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

w1z4rd.

A little off the subject, but as PH what is your opinion of the 375 H&H magnum? I have one and am considering a hunt in Africa, I can put 3 round into a Coke can in about 3 seconds, at 100meters, would this serve me well on Cape Buffalo?

18. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the kind of game you would need that gun for is more than likely illegal to hunt.

and i would SERIOUSLY doubt that at 100 meters, you can achieve that kind of accuracy with a hand cannon.

or is this more of your self aggrandizing bs?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

the recoil on this gun alone would prevent you from what you claimed above.

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

for that matter, is it a rifle, or a revolver?
    i realize the gun can come in more than one variety.

20. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Just ask a criminal who they fear more, a citizen with a gun or the police.

An armed society is a polite society.

- N

21. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The Devil Inside, just shows how much you really know about guns.

The 375 H&H mag. is a rifle, fired from the shoulder, it shoots a 300grain bullet at 2700 ft. per second, and delivers 4500ftp of energy to the target, and with practice this is achievable, if your going to have fire arms in your possession you should learn how to use them proficiently.

ps: and that is considered a medium bore in African Hunting circles, the calibers and thump go up from there.

22. Roman Banned Banned

Powerful handguns are good protection against wild animals. They're less bulky and weigh less than rifles.

23. orcot Valued Senior Member

actually television are even better protection against wild animals. No offence but I live in a area with more then 350 people kmĀ² local wild life are pidgeons, etc.
    I believe that we reached a time where we don't have to shoot wild animals for protection. Besides if I would ever go hunting then I would consider using something like a bow. At least then there is some competition