man is nothing else but what he makes of himself.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by tQySmA, Aug 21, 2003.

1. tQySmA Registered Senior Member

what u think?? agree or not??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The man that he will come to be is an inevitability. Every man is the inescapable result of the circumstances of his birth and subsistence.

There is no other path than that set before you by your corporal Self and your surroundings. Your ego, your mental being, the product of your cognition, is a reflection of that corporal self, which must follow inerrantly the path set before it by God, Destiny, Fate, what have you.

The choices one has made were never really choices at all, as it was never physically possible, with regard to the corporal self and surroundings, for any alternative course to have been taken.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2003
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Hi ...I'm Redoubtable.
    Blah blah blah balah,blah blah blah,...blah blah blah.
    Then, blah blah blah,until blah blah blah,haha ha,because then blah blah blah.
    But of course I had to say that.
    It was in my genes.

I absolutely agree with tQ.
    Some people absolve themselves of any and all responsibility like our young friend doubty.
    He will learn one day.Probly the hard way.
    Actually,maybe your right redoubtable.
    I never really looked at it that closely before.
    Peace Out

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Please try to refute my statements in some way other than the all too familiar, grandiloquent "he will learn one day" gimmick.

8. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

But I can't Doubty.
    I have no choice in the matter.
    HELP MEEEEE!*To the sound of the fly*
    Just yanking your neurological chain my man.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I digress.
    Peace Out

9. Well, if you truly aren't capable . . . fine.

10. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Well if you ar blah blah blah blah..then blah.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

12. candy Valued Senior Member

It is all about free choice. If you chose to see your self as a victim of your circumstances then you will be a victim. If you chose to take action to change your condition then it will change.

"There is no try. There is only do."

13. If I'm right, candy, choice is only an illusion created by your ego, a mental reflection fully subordinate to your physical being. The mind is determined by the body, and the body is determined by conditions, universal law, genetics, circumstance.
    There is no sublime essence, no intrinsic, irremovable free-will, no unique soul sequestered away in some esoteric metaphysical recess. The human mind is not spiritual fluid in a fleshy conduit, but crude matter and energy like everything else in the universe.

Where exactly do we receive these choices?

Why do you think humans should be an exception?

I do not think we are victims of circumstance. We are not our minds, our pitiful egos, but ever-changing, labyrinthine molecular constructs. We are not victims at all. We are only a part of the system, a small region in the patchwork quilt of Reality.

Why do you think we're superior, divine? Why must we fabricate for ourselves this desperate defense for our dignity?

Free-will? Choice? What are those? I have felt these, but they are spurious, unauthentic things. I have never seen a situation wherefrom there could be expected more than one result.

14. candy Valued Senior Member

There is always choice. Do you chose pink or blue? You chose to accept a situation or you chose to change it. People like Martin Luther King come to mind. He had a dream that is very slowly becoming reality.

Everything is energy. Even the spirit is energy. The Creator is energy. All is a manifestation of energy.

15. Prove to me that I had any choice in the matter of posting this particular post.

Prove that there was another way it could have turned out.

16. candy Valued Senior Member

You could have chosen not to repy at all.

17. Firstly, you've provided absolutely no proof of that.

Secondly . . .

No, I obviously couldn't have.
    The 'choice' was only a sensation produced by my ego. The destination was already set by the existence of certain factors within my skull. These factors led, inexorably, to the inescapable climax: my post.
    The factors themselves were caused by preceding factors and those by even earlier factors and so on and so forth back to the Beginning of Time and the First Event.

The only way your argument could possibly stand is if the mind were not a part of the body.

Unfortunately for your argument, it has been demonstated that this is not the case.

Ever heard of 'electrical brain stimulation'?

18. A man will be what he choses, but what he choses is predeterminedby his very materiality, a quality transcendent of his control and comprehension.

19. zagen Philophanian Registered Senior Member

This is a very old argument, but imo when you realize you are choosing something, you have "more of" a choice. It may not be free will, and it might still be determinism, but at least you realize it.

I think i heard it in a movie or a book somewhere.... "It's not important what you choose, but why you choose it"
    Basically live your life for your reasons and the rest doesn't matter, even if it's predetermined.

20. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

At first there is no man to make himself into anything. The world must set the ball rolling but after that the man is largely in control. There are exceptions.

War can twist one's soul and fill it with hatered and bitterness. Great tradgedies can be so great that they can actually break the man and leave nothing but a hollow shell and various events can provoke him down one path or another.

One can be immune to such things but you have to know how first. Even then it is far from being without cost. Nothing is without cost.

21. zagen Philophanian Registered Senior Member

Sometimes i get annoyed with ppl in the philosophy section when they only come in here to say their opinion on something, even when it doesnt relate to what the topic is about.
    But it's true that ppl get distracted from their choices and go by just their emotions without thinking about things. I think that might be limiting your choice, but usually ppl who do that a lot dont care if they have a choice or not.

22. invisibleone Registered Senior Member

I agree to an extent. While there might be things people can do to "better" their lives, there are also circumstances that exist beyond our control. For example, we are deeply influenced by surrounding social circumstances. If we are optimistic and hard working yet we are considered "failures" by our peers, we will most likely internalize this and develop a sense of learned helplessness. So we are what we make of ourselves, but we are also what others make of us.