Man is 'Killing the Planet'

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by duendy, Mar 30, 2005.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

"Rising world populations and pollution are damaging the planet faster than ever, experts have warned.
    Man has ruined ecological systems to meet demands for food, fresh water, timber and fuel, the Millenium Ecosystem Assessment said.
    Up to a third of animal species face extinction, global warming may cause disease, and deforestation reduce rainfall, it added.
    UN chief Kofi Annan said: "Human activity is causing massive damage."
    www.milleniumassessment.org/

what are we to do as individuals about this? This is extremely serious. In my paper it got about a two inch column stuck away in a top corner of a page opposite a gossip columnist. THAt is how the media views the severity of this worldwide problem!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. duendy Registered Senior Member

hmmmm, odd, when you type millenium assessment 2005 at google you get the address i've given, but another page shows up relevant to what has ben said. i dont have a fancy computer to direct link you to it (though it fkin SHOULD show when yu use that URL....all i can sggest then is either ther's a link on the above URL that takes you to the page with the relevant stuff or google it.....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i cant believe they had to form a comittee to find that out.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. duendy Registered Senior Member

Why? you think everyone's already aware of the seriousness of our situation?

8. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

yes,at least i'd hope so.if you just look around your house and think about how long it would have taken you on your own to gather the materials for and make the items (not including electrical) it is pretty obvious something is wrong.

9. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

its kind of disheartening isnt? the thing is if they'd replaced the tart on page, three then people would have been going fkin crazy and not because of the environmental issues.
    it seems we live in a society in which ignorance is more acceptable than consideration.
    environmental solutions dont make a great deal of money for the profit lead orgi's. they want to sell newspapers and bigger bouncier tits are more likely to do that than the ecology, even when our health is on the line.

i was shocked the other day when i heard a party broadcast for the conservatives, saying they would review the policy of subsidising british arms manufacturers that supply third world countries. i thought wait a minute did he just say they would review the policy of subsidising arms manufactures, subsidising fkin arms manufactures, fck subsidisng the bstrds let them go fkn bankrupt. sorry for the language but i needed a rant. if you get cesspooled duendy ill take the rap.

10. duendy Registered Senior Member

hehe..i have NO probelm with gettin cesspitted. i like the Taoist insight about the value of water, how it is in the highest places and the lowest

regarding the paper i read the article in, actually they dont do tits--that's a nother tabloid called The sun that does that

The paper i read it in , on its front page it was demonizing a fallen icon celeb, who they are calling a 'paedophile', even though they are misdefining the term. According to his accusers he'd had sex with teenage boys. That isn't paedophilia, paedolhiliua means 'sex' with pre-pubescent children.
    I am not mad about the dude they are doing this wichunt on, but their irational reporting got me to phone up and epak to a journalist to tell him they werer trivializing the term. he got so fukin angry and told me that 95% off readers had wanted him to do full term. when i mentioned that this irrational hatred's being propagated by their false definitions and righteous indignation he slammed the phone down on me

though i am aware of the power of the media for manipulation, it really hit home from his attitude

just thought it relevant to add that. i dont want to derail the main subject

so also their little bit about such a HUGE subject of our Earth/Home....That too speaks volumes about their psychology, which reaches out to their gullible readers etc. it is this fear of 'evil'.....it's always some body, and is the scapegoat thing. that in stead of really seeing the roots of the problem. COLLECTIVe behaviour, they scream at someone. and as you say this makes big profit for them
    it's really fukin scary. it's nt hard to imagine that when the last woods are being
    cut down, and radiation coming at ya, these idiots will still be going on about some foolish shit
    or maybe not. i mean the Tsunami got big coverage. but what we need is bg coverage about the SIGNS not the culmination of a pile of ignoreant activity when it may be too late. some speaking about the ecological assessment are saying that some things are just beyond help!

11. Golgo 13 The Professional Registered Senior Member

You misspelled the URL. Millennium has 2 n's in it.

12. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

It is sad that we don't give back to our mother nature. Please treat our enviorment well.

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Man is killing the planet: no. Not true.
    (Duendy, I can almost here you leaping to your keyboard to deliver a scathing attack on me, the intransigent defender of the patriarchal, scientific, military-industrial complex. Do try thinking for once - it will be a novel experience for you and you may even discover you like it.)
    Man is not killing the planet; he is simply driving it in a direction wherein it will no longer be able to sustain him. (Gosh, patriarchal 'he' and 'him'; how gauche.) The planet will survive - mankind will not.
    This is disappointing.

14. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

beg your pardon what means sex with pre-pubescent children.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

lol.

i thought philadelphia was a place in america

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

I didn't want to reply to this topic but I eventually thought I must put pen to paper. I have debated about this issue a number of times over. I am for wildlife and green earth but I think we have to accept things the way they are. There is just too much money involved in the destruction of the earth, and as someone who benefits from this by using wooden pencils and paper I cannot complain too much. Personally I care about the underfed and homeless children than the earth, we have too much socio-political cirisis for me to cry over this rock. I wish we could find alternative means of resources but its really not important to my immidiate enviroment, nobody else for that matter, unless you live in a forrest or something.If the earth truely has an immune system, then we will eventually be exterminated, so not to worry.

16. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

17. duendy Registered Senior Member

Yes, i KNOW

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Buy less things. Buy things that can be recycled or reused, buy things that are biodegradeable. Try not to use plastic or other petroleum based products for most of them pollute more than many other products. Buy cars that are environmentally friendly. Conserve as best you can by using less electricity, gas and water.

19. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

The planet is going to be tough as nails after it adapts to us and the we will be tough as nails after we adapt to the new nature. Both will be so finely honed by hardship and strife that it could look Chixulub in the face and smile. I see no problem.

20. duendy Registered Senior Member

I just wish YOU could see how deeply ignorant you are.

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I just wish YOU could see what I'm saying and not what you think I am saying. You are losing out on an enriching experience.

22. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

Yeah dude that is a really ignorant thing to say. Wake up!

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I am always ready to waken. Please identify the ignorance in my post, so that I may be enlightened.