Man can't be named

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Orleander, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Why can't he be named? Does he have to be found guilty first? He admitted he did it. Or is it an AIDS law in New Zealand?

New Zealand HIV-positive man 'infects wife with needle'

An HIV-positive New Zealand man pricked his sleeping wife with a needle tainted with his blood, infecting her with the virus, court papers have revealed.

It is believed the man wanted to give her the virus, which leads to Aids, so she would have sex with him again, the New Zealand Sunday Star-Times reported.

According to the documents, the man twice pricked his wife with a sewing needle tainted with his blood.

The man has admitted infecting his wife and faces up to 14 years in jail.

The 35-year-old man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced at Auckland High Court early next year.

According to the court documents obtained by the newspaper, the husband discovered he was HIV-positive during health checks when the family arrived in New Zealand in 2004.

The wife said she wanted to stay with her husband for the sake of their children but refused to have sex with him for fear of contracting the disease.

But she said that in May last year she found "a sting-like mark" on her left thigh and two days later awoke to a stinging feeling in her leg.

She said she also saw her husband handling a syringe full of his blood.

Four months later during a routine check-up she was told she was HIV-positive.

She said she confronted her husband who admitted pricking her with an infected needle.

"All he said [was] he was sorry. He said, 'I used needles on you because I wanted you to be the same as me so that you can live with me and you won't leave me'," she said in a statement.

The husband was charged in October last year.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mike47 Banned Banned

This is a terrible story . The man should be hanged . Aids is fatal . She should have left him a long time ago . As for the kids they are better off without a crazy father around .
    Condoms protect against aids and I have no idea why she did not want to use them . I hate condoms but I use them anyway .
    Sex with condoms is not like the natural thing but it is better than nothing .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, but that doesn't answer my question as to why he can't be named.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

probably to prevent vigilante justice

8. swarm Registered Senior Member

Because that would reveal who she was and most courts try to protect the defendant in this sort of case.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

because now she is HIV positive? I can understand that.

10. kira Valued Senior Member

Orleander, not sure how is that in New Zealand, but here in Germany there is so called "Bundesdatenschutzgesetz" (literal translation: federal data protection law). Media don't get to publish criminal names, race, religion, etc. upon the consent of the individuals, a breach of it is a breach of law. On German TV, normally they make blur the suspect face. Their names are also only mentioned as initial.

There was a program about a month ago, about the work of traffical police. In a highway, the police stops a cargo car carrying horses, but the horses are so many that they can barely move. The driver was caught for animal offense, but his face and car plat number were made blur and the name was not mentioned.

New Zealand also has a kind of data protection act, but I am not sure what kind.