Male rape victims meet in Uganda

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by arauca, Apr 8, 2013.

1. arauca Banned Banned

Sexual violence against women is one of the most widely used weapons of war, but men are also victims.

Their numbers remain unknown mostly because traumatised male survivors are too ashamed to come forward.

Now, for the first time in sub-Saharan Africa, victims are meeting in Uganda to openly talk about their experiences.

Al Jazeera’s Malcolm Webb reports from Kampala.

In this case I believe Male raped by other male , this is to humiliate males manhood , Such humiliating practices are not uncommon in some Mediterranean nations

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arauca Banned Banned

ulius Okwera, 78, leads another victims' group based in Gulu, northern Uganda. He says he was raped by four Ugandan government soldiers in 1987, in the aftermath of the civil war that ended in 1986. He did not tell anyone until 2012, but Okwera said there has been progress for male rape victims where he lives.

"Now the community knows about my condition," he said. "They come for joint counselling so we meet them and they say willingly exactly what happened to them."

Kabenga and other victims in his group are now writing a book about their experiences. They hope it will help victims to overcome the shame and speak openly about their ordeals. But, he said, he will never forget what happened to him.

"Sometimes those pictures come back and they break me down," Kabenga said, wincing.

For Kamba, he said his sense of pride has been stolen and he feels guilt over what happened to him. Kamba said he is scared to go to the one place he believes could provide salvation.

"I fear to go to church. How do I stand before God? Should I repent, ask for forgiveness, or say thank you? I am unclean to face God … I am a curse."
    o
    Source:
    Al Jazeera
    Email Article

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Which nations? Links please.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

I posted the news from Source:
    Al Jazeera
    Email Article
    I don't know if I will find the two articles, look my posting days and that was in the news at the same day , but I will tray.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/04/2013411111517944475.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jul/17/the-rape-of-men

stracized

ACTV estimates that about 5 percent of women leave their husbands after learning they have been sexually violated.

Patience*, a rape survivor, said he had initially been ostracized by his wife and brother after revealing that he had been raped. “They suspected me of being homosexual. They did not want to talk to me,” he said. He has since been reunited with his family after RLP mediation and treatment.
    http://www.irinnews.org/Report/93399/DRC-UGANDA-Male-sexual-abuse-survivors-living-on-the-margins

http://allafrica.com/stories/201108160018.html

There is a lot more if you are interested . For man it is a big shame to have sex with an other man in other societies. wile here in the west is a promotion , for a man to have sex with an other man.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

A "promotion"?

I don't think you understand homosexuality, arauca. See, some people are sexually attracted to the same sex and other people are attracted to the opposite sex. (And some people are somewhere in the middle.) Generally, homosexual men do not want to have sex with women, and heterosexual men don't want to have sex with men. "Promoting" homosexuality to heterosexual people (or vice versa) is very unlikely to change their sexual behaviour.

I keep getting the impression from you that you think being homosexual is a bad thing. It isn't. It's just a normal human variation.

But getting back to the topic: nobody wants to be raped, ever. That is true regardless of whether they are heterosexual or homosexual. Nobody, in the East or the West, ever says that being raped is a great thing that everybody should try. So, I hope you're not trying to claim that homosexual men want to be raped. You're not claiming that, are you?

9. arauca Banned Banned

Sir I am just posting what is happening in the world,

10. arauca Banned Banned

HIV debate".

Ukraine currently has one of the fastest growing rates of HIV infection in Europe and, in the past year, the highest proportion of deaths were due to sexual transmission. Yet even the word "gay" is not always used when discussing the topic, instead the term MSM (men who have sex with men) is widely used, as many do not consider themselves gay despite their sexual relations. Anna Dovbakh, from HIV/Aids Alliance Ukraine, is deeply worried about the impact from the proposed laws.

"All these fascist and rightist groups will write letters to the local authorities calling for our punishment and we will have problems every day from police checking if we are making propaganda or not through our health-related information - and they have no clue how to check it except in their own minds," Dovbakh said. "It will close most of the registered LGBT groups and we will have to use different language to describe HIV and AIDS risks for MSM. The growing epidemic in Ukraine will be hidden again and the rate of AIDS will increase significantly."

The issue is not helped by the fact that there seems to be little will by the Ukrainian government to support initiatives that are associated with homosexuality.

"We are still trying to encourage the state to pay for HIV prevention services but so far it is zero percent," she said. "The level of deaths by AIDS in Ukraine is entirely at the mercy of outside funding."
    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2013/05/2013531133953629232.html

11. Bells Staff Member

What does this even have to do with male rape victims in Uganda?

But since you decided to attack gays in this thread.. Lets look at HIV in Ukraine for a very quick spell..

You clearly did not read that article as it discussed homophobia and how homosexuals were being attacked in the Ukraine. And the HIV debate, it seems the Ukraine Government is not doing enough to educate and provide health care. And the spread is not really relegated to the gay community. The rise in HIV has been mostly in heterosexuals having unprotected sex:

Then of course we come to the laws they want to introduce and best of all, the corruption of Government officials and their refusal of medication for the treatment of HIV and failing in the education front as well:

But hey, much easier to just blame Gays..

12. arauca Banned Banned

The think that cot my eye in this article was the spread of HIV which is that I posted., In the past years I had some comment contradicting me that HIV is not spread by gay people . So I posted this article that supports my view . I could have opened a new post , but I decided not to open a new can of worms , the subject is very close , so here it went.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The Hidden Wounds

Rape as a weapon of war is one of many powerful dehumanization techniques that fighters employ, often without giving a damn about such considerations. In effect, it is not so much about humiliating manhood or womanhood, but denigrating humanity.

While it is true that the long-term damage of such crimes against humanity is exacerbated by traditional cultural taboos, sometimes the scars of sexual assault stay hidden. Even as the world moves to help those who have lost hands, feet, and even faces to the savage butchery of these wars, it is harder to address the wounds people cannot see.

In theory, the missing hands, feet, and faces of war are often subjects of fascination; the visible badge of having survived a terrible experience is a symbol of merit. But the sexual assaults don't always leave such apparent marks. And unlike the one we might tell to stand with pride for having survived the countenance of evil, who might see another missing a hand, ear, nose, whatever, and at first glance there can be solidarity.

This is not the case with sexual assault survivors, for whom the shame is often prescribed in no different dosage than the everyday virgin/slut standard for women, and manly/queer divide for men.

"I fear to go to church. How do I stand before God? Should I repent, ask for forgiveness, or say thank you? I am unclean to face God ... I am a curse."

I would remind Mr. Kamba that in such a context, nothing happens without God's will. The proper response is to say nothing of the sort to God, and have faith that the One will let him in on the joke when all is said and done.

Which, of course, is entirely useless advice.

But breaking the taboos that compound the impacts of such sexual assaults is also an important key to undermining the efficacy of rape as a weapon of war. And, yes, war itself is an exercise in dehumanization, ergo we shall never eliminate rape as a weapon of war unless we abolish warfare entirely—which isn't happening anytime soon—but in the meantime we can certainly undertake efforts to lessen its impact.