Maldive Marriage. Seriously weird!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Captain Kremmen, Oct 28, 2010.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No I am saying that if you don't protect yourself in a strange country you're likely to be conned. This is as true of Union Station Chicago as of Hotel Celebrant Maldives. This is a common caution to take when you travel abroad. If the hotel has taken action and the couple get reimbursed, they are luckier than most tourist victims.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Weddings are are chance for people to get together and celebrate a union. If they want to enahce those memories with a nice trip abroad, theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Oh God.. here we go..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The article I linked is from the Maldives newspaper basically and I think they'd understand their language and custom enough to warrant calling it a horrible act on behalf of not just the hotel, but the people who did it to that couple. In fact, one comment admonished the paper for also allowing the translation in English to appear on the video they linked as it is apparently bad enough in their language..

There was one report I read at the time where the foreign minister of the Maldives commented that he couldn't watch the whole thing to the end as the language was so bad and he did not want his children, who were apparently in the room with him at the time, to hear such bad language.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

It's not a legal wedding Sam.
    Everyone knows that.

Some people go there to renew their vows.
    Maybe they are naive.
    They think it is Romantic.

What do you think of people who will vindictively spoil a celebration of people's love for each other with insults and mockery, not just for a few minutes, but for half an hour or longer, and then charge them for the service?

You haven't said yet that this attitude is something which only a few criminals think is OK.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I just found it weird that people would undertake a legal arrangement in a language they don't understand. How would they even know if they were getting married?

Probably because its self evident.

9. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Was this a legal arrangement?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Most marriages are, I didn't realise people have wedding rituals which are not binding

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Thanks. I agree. That wasn't hard was it.

The Government of the Maldives is looking at grounds for prosecuting them, for fraud I should think.
    The Maldives have a huge drug problem for the size of the population. I think it might have contributed to the strangeness of the ceremony.

Just a guess, but Crystal Meth?

12. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Opium...

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'd be interested to know what grounds the court would find for fraud. They are not qadis, and the marriage has no legal basis. It will probably be easier for the hotel to simply get rid of them.

14. Ripley Valued Senior Member

"Much to do about nothing." Then why do it? Why bother?

Is it, as you have pointed this out as being a commonplace occurrence in the East, in their nature to automatically persecute westerners for being westerners? The Swiss couple looked perfectly decent and unassuming, hardly the sort to provoke ill-will.

Anyway, I was just taken aback by the sheer nasty spirit of the Maldivians. Typical, you say?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think it was more along the lines of an adolescent prank. Resorting to crudity is a common male tactic. I've heard some pretty choice statements at sciforums myself.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

This is worth a read.
    Many of the posters are either Islanders or frequent visitors.
    http://minivannews.com/politics/pre...ple-asks-media-to-respect-their-privacy-12901

One post particularly might explain what is happening

Stop kidding ourselves.
    The current generation has had hatred shoved down our throats by the mullahs.
    Its always how we have done better, our ethics have been flawless and whenever things go wrong, and they do very often, its the work of the devil and infidels.
    I have repeatedly heard, ‘Victory to muslim brothers, failure to all infidels!’ chanted in all Khutubahs. Sermons.
    So, WTF are you complaining about. You get what you bred!
    Atleast I see the light, distant it may be, due to internet / education and globalization. Maldivian must be free from this hate mongering mullahs, and then they can decide the merits of all religions and chose, and not have one shoved into their bottoms.
    But we need external assistance here on this. Mullahs grips currently is very strong, and all are intimidated to silence. I just hope I see reach the light, for the future of my kids.

17. John99 Banned Banned

If this was the other way around sciforums would be on lockdown. Bells would be going ballistic. But its true if you dont understand the language these things can happen.

18. John99 Banned Banned

I said before, what we need to do is think of a new language and stick with it. It probably cannot be a language we already have and we need to get peole involved in creating this new universal language. The new language will be some form of short hand type language like New Words Only.

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I mentioned Crystal Meth as a possible cause.
    I've googled to see if the Maldives have a problem with that drug, and can't find anything.

It does fit though. A poor country, where most of the money is earned in a season, December to April. If you wanted to work 20 hours a day instead of 10, that would be the drug of choice. And it would explain the weird behaviour.

This drug has had a devastating effect on Thailand, which similarly has a tourist season.

20. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Opium is the Maldives problem.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I think the abhorrent denigration and abuse was worse than the validity or invalidity of the marriage itself. Kremmen's located post series is very apt in this regard.