Malcolm X’s Letter from Makkah

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Proud_Muslim, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

The following is Malcolm X’s (al-Hajj, Malik al-Shabazz) letter to his assistants in Harlem during his pilgrimage to Makkah in April of 1964:

Never have I witnessed such sincere hospitality and overwhelming spirit of true brotherhood as is practiced by people of all colors and races here in this ancient holy land, the home of Abraham, Muhammad and all the other Prophets of the holy scriptures. For the past week, I have been utterly speechless and spellbound by the graciousness I see displayed all around me by people of all colors.

I have been blessed to visit the holy city of Makkah; I have made my seven circuits around the Ka'aba, led by a young Mutawwaf (guide) named Muhammad; I drank water from the well of the Zamzam. I ran seven times back and forth between the hills of mount al-Safa and al-Marwa. I have prayed in the ancient city of Mina, and I have prayed on mount Arafat.

There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and non-white.

America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. Throughout my travels in the Muslim world, I have met, talked to, and even eaten with people who in America would have been considered white - but the white attitude was removed from their minds by the religion of Islam. I have never before seen sincere and true brotherhood practiced by all colors together, irrespective of their color.

You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought-patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have always been a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth.

During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass, and slept on the same rug - while praying to the same God - with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the deeds of the white Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana.

We were truly all the same (brothers) - because their belief in one God had removed the white from their minds, the white from their behavior, and the white from their attitude.

I could see from this, that perhaps if white Americans could accept the Oneness of God, then perhaps, too, they could accept in reality the Oneness of Man - and cease to measure, and hinder, and harm others in terms of their “differences” in color.

With racism plaguing America like an incurable cancer, the so-called “Christian” white American heart should be more receptive to a proven solution to such a destructive problem. Perhaps it could be in time to save America from imminent disaster - the same destruction brought upon Germany by racism that eventually destroyed the Germans themselves.

Each hour here in the holy land enables me to have greater spiritual insights into what is happening in America between black and white. The American Negro never can be blamed for his racial animosities - he is only reacting to four hundred years of the conscious racism of the American whites. But as racism leads America up the suicide path, I do believe, from the experiences that I have had with them, that the whites of the younger generation, in the colleges and universities, will see the handwriting on the walls and many of them will turn to the spiritual path of truth - the only way left to America to ward off the disaster that racism inevitably must lead to.

Never have I been so highly honored. Never have I been made to feel more humble and unworthy. Who would believe the blessings that have been heaped upon an American Negro? A few nights ago, a man who would be called in America a white man, a United Nations diplomat, an ambassador, a companion of kings, gave me his hotel suite, his bed. Never would I have even thought of dreaming that I would ever be a recipient of such honors - honors that in America would be bestowed upon a King - not a Negro.

All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all the worlds.

Sincerely,
    al-Hajj, Malik al-Shabazz (Malcolm X)

* Taken from The Autobiography of Malcolm X, co-authored by Alex Haley.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vienna Registered Senior Member

Sounds just like Woodstock

Wanna spliff man, groovy....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

This thread is just one of those pointless, blowing horn about Islam, because some popular figure converted to it, or said something good about it. Heck, even if Lassie converted to Islam, we'd have PM raving about it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Greco Registered Senior Member

The reason Malcom was assassinated was partially for writting that letter. The letter and Malcoms' ideology was heresy to the black Muslim movement.

" As a result of a pilgrimage he took to Mecca in April 1964, he modified his views of black separatism, declaring that he no longer believed whites to be innately evil and acknowledging his vision of the possibility of world brotherhood. In October 1964 he reaffirmed his conversion to orthodox Islam.

Growing hostility between Malcolm's followers and the rival Black Muslims manifested itself in violence and threats against his life. He was shot to death at a rally of his followers at a Harlem ballroom. Three Black Muslims were convicted of the murder"

I guess the black Muslims in America believe in a different Allah.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Malcom X should have stuck to dancing the lindy-hop, that was what he did best. I don't understand your point of quoting this, there were indeed serious racial problems in America at that time- but that was 30 years ago.

9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

The black muslims in america, or "nation of islam" or whatever are a dark skinned kkk.
    Their building in new york is scattered with artwork of blacks murdering whites and sometimes the whites in the art are pleading for mercy while being stabbed or whatever, lol, they're just openly very very racist.
    If you ask them they will admit that they think all white people are the devil and are inherently evil. Even children.
    They also believe everyone in history that did anything half decent was black, not just the usual "jesus" but shakespeare, john lennon etc.
    I was really shocked when I learnt about them, mostly because they are never badmouthed or anything. Like the kkk rightfully get kicked around, but nation of islam is just totally acceptable even though its as bad if not worse.
    Why is it that only white people can be considered racist? You have to admit, its just not the same if its not a white peron being racist. We can distinguish them behaving like a racist but it never seems to compute. Its kind of "cute" when non-whites are racist, why is that?

10. Bells Staff Member

True, hence why the majority of African Americans (Muslims included) can't stand his ideology. He advocates violence in the same way as the KKK advocates violence.

Call it political correctness. However the Nation of Islam is not totally acceptable. Malcolm was denounced by the majority of blacks. His ideology is vile and the majority saw it as such. Any who spoke against it were denounced as racist, even if the denouncers were black themselves. They were labelled as having been corrupted by the white man. He wanted Statehood for Black Muslims, where he could rule as the King he thought himself to be. Most just saw him as a hack. He was killed by the people he thought loved him (black Muslims), because they saw him as being someone against the cause. He wanted to divide society, something that the majority of the black population did not want. His ideology was racist because he wished to have the blacks as being different, as being better. He was also divisive in that he wished to divide the black people as those who weren't Muslims were as bad as the whites, and those who were Muslims were seen to be holy. The blacks saw such teachings as being divisive and he was only acting like a black slave master. He was what he denounced and hated the most.

It is the same if a non-white is racist. And it is definately never cute. Each ethnic group has its own brand of racism. Blacks are racist towards whites as whites are racists towards blacks. Blacks are racist towards blacks who are darker of skin than they. Blacks are also racist towards blacks who are lighter than they are, deeming them to think themselves to be better than others. Political correctness has unfortunately gotten to the point where society as a whole will never point out racism when it comes from someone who is not white.

The way I see it, if you're racist, regardless of your colouration, you should be labelled as such. I've seen many dark people be racist towards darker skinned people. When I point it out to them, I'm told that it is not racist, merely an observation. When I push the point, I'm told that I would never understand real racism as I'm so fair. There are many excuses for racism, but it should never be excused, regardless of race, creed or colour.

11. Q25 Registered Senior Member

imo the unity between all races can only exist if all respect each other,
    in other words; you get what you project,
    now I we all know that blacks were and still are mistreated in many ways,but going around and shouting ;"kill whitey"like some of those rappers and nation of islam followers do,aint gonna get you much love in return is it?

Islam teaches that all who dont follow it are infidels and must be killed so we have a one big problem right there,dont we?

maybe some changes in Quaran are in order.

12. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Not anymore, the Nation of Islam original doctrine was racist and indeed far away from ISLAM, now, they are closer to mainstream Islam after our muslim scholars told them that RACISM has no place in Islam:

''O Mankind!Most certainly, it is We( God almighty) who have Created you all From a single (pair) Of a male and a female, And it is we who Have made you into Nations and tribes, That ye may recognise each other (Not that ye may despise each other). Verily, the noblest of you In the sight of Allah Is (he who is) the most Righteous of you." The Noble Quran 49:13

"And mankind is naught but a single nation." The Noble Quran 2:213

13. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

That is not true, Islam does not teach such things, this is what Islam teachs:

''And tell my servants that they should speak in a most kindly manner (unto those who do not share their beliefs). Verily, Satan is always ready to stir up discord between men; for verily; Satan is mans foe .... Hence, We have not sent you (Unto men O Prophet) with power to determine their Faith.'' The Noble Quran 17:53-54

''...God does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you over religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. God loves those who are just. God merely forbids you from taking as friends those who have fought you over religion and driven you from your homes and who supported your expulsion..''(The Noble Quran 60: 8-9)

''There is no compulsion in religion, for the right way is clearly from the wrong way. Whoever therefore rejects the forces of evil and believes in God, he has taken hold of a support most unfailing, which shall never give way, for God is All Hearing and Knowing. '' The Noble Quran 2:256

''But if they turn away from you, (O Prophet remember that) your only duty is a clear delivery of the Message (entrusted to you)'' The Noble Quran 16:82

''Yet if God had so willed, they would not have ascribed Divinity to aught besides him; hence, We have not made you their keeper, nor are you (of your own choice) a guardian over them.'' The Noble Quran 6:107

''(Say to everyone of them,) 'Whatever good betides you is from God and whatever evil betides you is from your own self and that We have (O Prophet) sent you to mankind only as a messenger and all sufficing is God as witness. Whoso obeys the Messenger, he indeed obeys God. And for those who turn away, We have not sent you as a keeper." The Noble Quran 4:79- 80

(O Prophet?) 'We have not sent you except to be a mercy to all mankind:" Declare, "Verily, what is revealed to me is this, your God is the only One God, so is it not up to you to bow down to Him?' But if they turn away then say, "I have delivered the Truth in a manner clear to one and all, and I know not whether the promised hour (of Judgment) is near or far." The Noble Quran 21:107-109

The Noble Quran 88:21, 22; also see 24:54 And so, (O Prophet!) exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe.

''Assuredly, We have sent down the Book (The Quran ) to you in right form for the good of man. Whoso guided himself by it does so to his own advantage, and whoso turns away from it does so at his own loss. You certainly are not their keeper.'' The Noble Quran 39:41

''Obey God then and obey the Messenger, but if you turn away (no blame shall attach to our Messenger), for the duty of Our Messenger is just to deliver the message.'' The Noble Quran 64:12

The teachings of the Prophet on how you and I should treat our Non-Muslim friends and neighbours on a day to day basis as well as how to government should treat a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state.

The Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him ) said:

"He who believes in God and the Last Day should honour his guest, should not harm his neighbour, should speak good or keep quiet."

"Whoever hurts a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state hurts me, and he who hurts me annoys God."

"He who hurts a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state, I am his adversary, and I shall be his adversary on the Day of a Judgement." (Bukhari)

"Beware on the Day of Judgement; I shall mysefl be complainant against him who wrongs a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state or lays on him a responsibility greater than he can bear or deprives him of anything that belongs to him." (Al-Mawardi)

"Anyone who kills a Non-Muslim who had become our ally will not smell the fragrance of Paradise." (Bukhari)
    ------------------

Of course, the above verses from the Noble Quran and the Hadiths ( the sayings of the prophet Muhammad (pbuh ) ) which preachs love, mercy and tolerance towards non muslims are NEVER mentioned or quoted by the haters, the LIARS and the ISLAMOPHOBES...they dont dare to quote the above verses because it will immediately expose their LIES.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's not Islam, that's just the Koran. It is not appropriate to refute the Koran when taking about Islam. The Koran is the bright shiny face, the public relations tool used to mask their true intentions. Its like saying- well that couldn't have been a tornado that carried away the barn, because the weather report said there would be clear skies today. One has nothing to do with the other. We are wising up to your ways, Proud_Muskmelon. If you can justify terrorism, you can surely justify lesser kinds of deciet.

Islam is spreading rapidly, and, like SARS, it can fizzle out rapidly, too. The more virulent a disease, the faster it dies out.

15. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Let me quote you one verse from the Noble Quran about people like you:

''They (the disbelievers) want to extinguish Allâh's Light ( Islâm) with their mouths, but Allâh will not allow except that His Light should be perfected even though the Kâfirûn disbelievers hate it.'' The Noble Quran 9:32

You see, the above verse from the Noble Quran confirms what is going on now, you ( the disbelievers ) are trying hard to rubbish Islam, tarnish it, attack it but what is happening is that ISLAM IS SPREADING SO FAST ALL OVER THE WORLD, which means Allah almighty promise to perfect his light ( Islam ) is TRUE and indeed taking place right now !

So, keep the hate alive, I would be VERY worried if the anti muslim hate stops, the more you hate and lie, the more people come to Islam !

ALLAHU AKBAR !! ( ALLAH IS THE GREATEST ).

16. otheadp Banned Banned

let's get back to Malcolm X, Louis Farakhan, and the Nation of Islam (in USA) for a moment

http://www.danielpipes.org/article/167
    check this out
    (i know you just love the source! but give it a read, and let it go through your filters before you dismiss it anyway)

of course, these are only opinions.. or are they?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  17. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Daniel pipes ?? you know who this man is ???

he is famous hater, famous islamophobe, you are quoting from hate site, it is like me quoting from www.jewwatch.com !!

18. Greco Registered Senior Member

It doesnt matter who is the author, is what written correct? PM time after time you attack the author and not the material. You automaticaly say it's a hate site or so and so is an islammophobe. That may be true but that doesnt change the fact that the material stated is correct.

I have JWs that try to preach to me and I quote something from a previous JW that they dont like and they tell me "he's an apostate what do you excpect". They automatecaly classify anything from an ex JW as being untrue.
    You're doing the same.

19. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Hang on a second here !! if someone who is KNOWN LIAR and HATER wrote a book, would you believe him ???????

Come on greco, this man is liar and famous hater.

20. otheadp Banned Banned

1st of all, the article is not by Daniel Pipes... it's just located on his server
    2nd of all, if someone is a 'known liar', and a 'hater', (something Pipes is not), even then i'd bother to read what he has to say.
    i wouldn't believe it because of my prejudgement, but i'd read it any way

you see, PM, i still read your posts, although you are a...."liar" and a "hater"

so what do you have to lose? don't believe the article.. just read it

21. Maia Crimson Spirit Registered Senior Member

Funny how this thread began by you quoting a humongous block of text with no real purpose, which is exactly the kind of thing that's not allowed here.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

We don't hate Islam, we just find you annoying, because you are an unthinking automoton. Try saying something original, I dare you. You are a baby attached to his mom's nipple, afraid to confront the world on your own. You would like to think we hate you because that would give you an undeserved sense of importance and relevence.

Muslims are not supposed to be racist or sexist, but that's irrelevant, in practice, they are just like everyone else, some discriminatory, some not, they just learn to suppress their expressions of it. Islam is nothing more than your opinion, and the opinions of others who, at some point, you chose to accept. I can write a book too, that contains the idea that people will discount my ideas, so what? I'm not against the moderate muslim minority, the United States welcomes diversity, thrives on it, and this accounts for our great success.

23. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Spider and othe:

Since you are both JEWS and since Jews inherit their hate for Islam generation after generation, I would ask you not to respond to my threads if you dont like them, just go away...very simple.