making a real lightsaber.

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

pass me some of that stuff, would ya?

I'm imagining a sabre with a kind of telescoping truss system of fine but ultra-strong metal wire (nanomaterials of some kind so it can be light and withstand a physical beating), where turning it on involves the sabre quickly extending this trust system to the full length of the "blade". The metal wire would be layed up as two wire meshes wired independently of each other by still intertwined with each other, so that when a very high voltage difference is applied across the meshes, brightly colored plasma forms from the air between the wires in the mesh. This plasma is actually the focus of some current aerodynamic research, where their objective is to use to to slightly alter airflow such as to cancel turbulence in aircraft, and maybe even control the plane altogether...

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT/2003/5000/5820ashpis.html

Why bother fighting with what's essentially an over-glorified taser? Well, assuming your sabre had enough energy and power, like a fusion battery or something crazy in it, it may have enough umf to do like the above article suggests and actively move air (you'd need more independent wire grids and a hell of a control program written for the sabre, but it might work). Imagine if you swung a sword that could push itself along in the air! It'd be better then a weightless blade, it would be a blade that helped swing itself! Also, if the plasma were brilliant enough to be as bright as a light sabre (not to mention blind out the thin wire mesh so that it isn't very visible), it would probably leave some serious burn damage to a victim.

But ultimately, it'd just be a cool looking blade, and probably very true to the Star Wars rendition because one could argue that, if the light sabre were made in this way, it may actually make a "hummmm" sound when swoshed through the air, as this could be the blade upping the voltage a bit to move itself through the air. It might actually sound like something shorting it if it hit something else because it would in fact be shorting out since the metal wires would be next to something more conductive then air, like metal or, at these voltages, skin and clothing.

As for deflecting lasers and bullets, not sure I can explain that one away...

I dunno, just a thought. I'd like to have a weightless blade someday, just for kicks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

You can't have what stuff I have fortunately weedeater.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dazzlepecs Registered Senior Member

didnt a huge light-sabre-like beam of light appear at the Chernobyl disaster? The air being heavily ionized or something due to the concentrated radiation?? Of course it didnt terminate at 4 feet

Maybe if you did something like that

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24604338/?GT1=43001

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

In one thought, I can't believe that passes as news, in the other thought, that sounds like the plot of a Robot Chicken sketch or something. Awesome. lol

9. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Right on, you should suggest that plot to the makers of Robot Chicken

10. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Only 1 method of developing this contraption. Must have a very strong mesh-like material that is capable of retracting and expanding. Shape this into the saber and then have the beam intercept it at the top of the weapon. The beam will stop there and it will appear as a saber, then of course you must create a field slightly larger than the mesh-like material so when you fight the beam is what hits not the mesh, this would conceivably work. It might not be good for fighting but instead cutting wholes in things like a wall.

11. rex20057 Registered Member

I have a way, but its a secret and never bean tried

ok i don't know how many people are still reading this form but i think that this must be the wright way. My cem. teacher told me that when he was in high school him and a bunch of his class mates maid an effective lazer that effectively blew a hole in the wall of his classroom. he did not say that the beam could be control but it think i found a way. i don't have the funds to make it but i feel that if you are serious about trying it and will give me credit and a finished prototype if it works. i may be convinced to divulge my secrets. I probably wont ever check this form agane so email me at rwpeck@optonline.net

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i actually did think of this, if you used a solid core of something which wouldnt absorb light and then put a reflective mirror at the top you COULD use lazors which would be a set contained length. However to make it strong enough to cleanly slice off an arm?

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

^ That isn't the only problem. Even if you did that, the lasers won't parry each other, they'll just pass right through each other, and it's not really a lightsaber.

Although.....

...if something is hot enough, can this alone be enough to cut through something? My idea is using a solid rod that is heated to an extreme intensity, assuming we can find the right materials for the job

Of course, we'd also have to be able to contain or dispel the heat.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

thats why the reflective rod down the middle, THAT will parry the other persons saber because the light wont cut it so the 2 of them will smack into each other.

However what it WONT do is cut through doors like the jedi ones do because you cant stab with it, only slash

15. Jonwp Registered Senior Member

Make it

Forget power supplies for just a minute. now an electron beam (like that used in old fashinoned TVs) can be used to cut/shape diamonds, would it not be possible to use something like that as a beam, you can terminate it at a certain distance.

If a plan does arrise please keep me informed

16. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Only if you can keep the space that the electrons are passing through a vacuum, otherwise you'll be showering yourself with xrays that will be generated when the electrons strike air molecules. Also, you would get a (probably deadly) shower of xrays any time you cut something with it.

17. Jonwp Registered Senior Member

NO you wouldn't it isn't working on any kind of radiation, you are using electrons, not gamma rays or anything like that

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

How do you terminate it at a distance?

You'd still get radiation: you even get from a TV (approx 0.1% of electrons hitting the back of the screen cause secondary radiation IIRC).

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

X-rays are generated when fast-moving electrons strike matter. If you were actually cutting through something quickly with an electron beam (like a lightsaber would), the xray radiation would probably kill everyone in the vicinity. Even if you weren't actually cutting anything, the xrays from the beam simply striking air would probably be deadly.

20. starbuck78 Registered Member

as of now , the technology does NOT exist to make a real lightsaber. The blade could be made that would do everything that the ones in the movies did, however,it would be attached to equipment big enough to fill a large lab,and about a million degrees F. So for now , just shoot people, Besides if you did have a real one(lets say God answered your wish and POOF) there she be. What good would it really be? Cool? OH YEAH, fun? HELL YEAH, guy shooting at you and you deflect the bullets? NO WAY IN HELL< YOU'RE DEAD. I know it sucks. I built a star trek phaser with a 200 mw laser in it and I can burn little things. I want to set some jerk alight, but I can't get a laser that strong,not even the arctic 2 spider is that strong. I would suggest learning how to use a real sword,a TO, or Katana. Go to class, learn and be as bad as any jedi ever hoped to be. A Samurai would slice Vader into a million pieces(Iknow this because I made a Vader outfit and made it as real as possible. I could barely see, almost had heat stroke and moved like Frankenstein,I was very disappointed to know that vader would be like a moon astronaut in hand to hand combat(seriously disadvantaged)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.