making a real lightsaber.

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roman Banned Banned

There's really nothing in the nature of energy and magnets to suggest you could create a beam of energy capable of cutting through any material except another beam of similar energy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Light Registered Senior Member

Yes, I can see your point about thinking something is impossible. However, there is nothing in the currently understood principles of physics - especially electricity and magnetism - that even remotely suggests a means of doing what you want.

I realize you are probably thinking in terms of some sort of magnetic bottle and I'm equally certain that you have no idea what's involved in doing that. First of all, the entire confinement area has to be completely enclosed by very heavy power-consuming electromagnets. Magnetic fields cannot be made to assume just any old shape you can imagine - like a long, narrow cylinder for your sabre. The flux lines are densely packed and pretty much always follow the shortest path from pole to pole. Just a short distance from the surface, their strength falls off very rapidly.

There's no problem with dreaming about such things - and perhaps it will be possible in the distant future (check back with me in two centuries)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but you really need to learn more about physics to understand where we are today and what's possible and not possible right now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Hehe-- like this....except with a hilt:

I wonder if the hilt can handle having the beam redirected back to it though?
    Also-- what is going to hold the mirror without blocking the beam?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Actually, I think the OxyLance would be an interesting weapon assuming a person was able to make a make one portable enough.

8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

One-way mirror at the hilt where the light comes out, full mirror at the top...

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

cool, so we just need to put a handle on this baby and figure out how to attach this thing to our belts.

10. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

hmm... how about steroids?

11. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Nowadays soldiers use guns. What makes you think that they'll revert back to swords in the future? Because they look cool?

12. fathom24 Guest

well if you had a neutralized energy field then you could creat it in the size of the lightsaber and control temp., size, and the color.
    so if you could find a subnuclear enrgy force with an ability to reenergize itself constantly then you could build it.

13. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

As the sun has shown us, intense magnetic fields can control and manipulate plasma in awe striking fashion. So technically I guess you COULD make one. You would need to first build a handheld device with an enormous amount of power. Of course all this magnetism would be bad for dueling!

14. rhinorulz Registered Member

wrong. quantum manchanics. everything is possable

15. rhinorulz Registered Member

halo 2 plasma sword

16. ImAkELiGhTsAbErS Registered Member

I did it

Dude like 3 years ago for a science fair project, i won by actually making a plasma lighstaber. It only costed like $30 to make and i got $100 from it!!!!!

17. fathom24 Guest

well then you should tell us how to make one so that we can all make one.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That reminds me of my favorite scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc. You know, where the giant sword wielding guy is attacking Indiana Jones and you can just tell he really would like to fight the guy hand to hand...But, no time. So he just shoots him!

19. hanhao Registered Member

dont kill someone with that!

20. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

My friends, my enemies... I know of the method to design a lightsaber. In order to create something like that we'd first need to rule out what IS NOT going to to be used for it. We cannot have anything of a volatile nature, if it would be to dangerous then carrying it around with you certainly isn't a good idea. It would need to only be reactive when turned on, otherwise it should be intert. This leads to the question of why you would want to build a lightsaber? I believe it would be useful in other ways besides fighting, perhaps hunting or self-defense, etc. This makes us really see this tool might have more than a single purpose. Construction, welding, etc.

How do we make it then? It's relatively simple... light cannot be used, it alone has no mass. Therefore we'd need a plasma of some kind, or anything with a nature in common with it. What would I propose?

To solve the difficulty of not being able to stop light we must instead bypass a few conceptions...

1st - The beam will not have an origin point at the bottom of the device

2nd - It must be re-imagined to have the beam generate from a long thin very, very strong rod that is able to retract into your handheld.

3rd - We must find a method to produce a magnetic field around the rod, one that would capture plasma, using this method the rod would be the thing generating the beam...

So those are a few of my ideas... sounds complex but certainly it's more achievable than stopping light in midair.

You'd basically have to design the handheld so that when the button is pressed a very strong rod extends very quickly, it then turns on a magnetic containment field and plasma is generated.. it would easily be possible to change the color or density of the beam in this manner.

So what do you think, add to my idea.

21. fathom24 Guest

I tottaly agree with you darksideZz it would have to be a rod like in the original trilogy if you look closely they had a rod in it. but if a bullet or another laser hit it i could disrupt the magnetic field and do major damage to the weapon.

22. Zero121 Registered Member

"Assumuning you wanted to make a light saber, you would have to use light wouldn't ya? If you use anything to make the blade other than light (IE- something that just happens to glow brightly like a giant blowtorch) then it isn't technically a light saber.

So..... assuming the blade is made completely from light, there's the first problem.....How are you going to make the light terminate at 3 or 4 feet? The only thing close to a star wars styled light saber that exists is a flashlight/lazer beam, but the beam projected from it doesn't stop in midar-- it just keeps going and going.
    Even if you made a little super strong fiber optic line running from the hilt, there would be no way to keep the light projected from the line from projecting omni-directionally into infinity."
    'Quot3'

well first off U don't need a beam of just pure light or even light(so 2 speak

) to have a lightsaber. If your really familiar with the concept, U would have known that it was almost named laser sword (george lucas calls it that).

And everythings possible, i mean even in the star wars world they didn't just make up a lightsaber like U C on movies, it went through diffrent stages, & as well had many energy capacitors and other things, which in turned only let the blade stay out for just a few minutes, until many later years.

But creating a real lightsaber may be easier than some think(& harder for a lot;p)

p.s. that's my input for now><

23. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

You could use toaster wire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.