Maker of religiously critical film shot dead

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by path, Nov 2, 2004.

1. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Should we be curtailing expression, setting up guidelines etc or only for certain audiences? Like a ghettoization of the public sphere.

How many people were forced to watch this? Obviously there was a message that DID hit home enough that someone felt justified in taking a human life.
    Is this the future face of europe? Should there be the formation of a morality and decency watchdog organization to watchout for things like this? Who gets to decide what is offensive or non-offensive?

Hasn't europe already been through this once.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fadeaway humper that way lies madness Registered Senior Member

Swell. He could also have spent his life sucking fucking allah's balls.
    What is your point, something like "don't go offending muslims, because they are particularly sensitive and are entitled to kill you as they see fit?"

In fact, is there anything that doesn't offend muslims one way or the other?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a good flick. Maybe I'll give it a download.

Anyone that would kill because of a movie is a sick psycho nutbag. He should be strung up and made an example to other crazies.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thersites Registered Senior Member

...and other peoples' lives very unseriously.

8. Thersites Registered Senior Member

Given that muslims take criticism or satire of their superstitions so seriously that it is worse than torture or death, perhaps the merciful thing to do would be to kill them all. That is the islamically logical solution, not my opinion, of course.

9. surenderer Registered Senior Member

Am I missing something? besides the mention of the man wearing a Jallaba I dont see where that article says anything about a Muslim murderer or if the film was the motivation?

10. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Well Surender, the killer had Dutch/Moroccan nationality, was wearing the Jallaba, and Van Gogh had received death threats because of the film. Circumstantial evidence, but if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....

Hey Bruce Wayne, ISLAM SUCKS! Come and get me. You know, I think I'll get a T shirt made that says just that. I suppose you felt Salman Rushdie's death sentence was justified? Thank you for revealing the "religion of peace" as a hopelessly backwards bundle of superstitious nonsense that is fundamentally incompatible with the civilized world.

11. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Freedom of expression comes with a cost. In his case the cost was too much.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Message could be conveyed without giving any justification for a nut to kill.
    If you give freedom of religion (islam) it would be at the cost of 'freedom' of such type of expression. Given that, balancing these two freedoms is the key to have a peaceful society, else you have to live with clash of civilizations.

I don't justify the killing, just trying to say the things as such.

12. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

He could not bring in 'intended' change in muslim society in this way either.

Something like "don't go offending X, because they are particularly sensitive and are 'provoked' to kill you as they see fit", just to save your own ass.

You have to ask them only.

13. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Yes this cost was paid for in blood throughout european history it is not the individual who decides what limits are put on freedoms or rights that people have. That is why we have governments and laws Does this really need to be explained to you?

I seriously doubt it for him probably ANY criticism of islam would have been justification.

Wrong christianity, judaism etc have adjusted themselves to be able to tolerate criticism grudgingly or not. There are protests articles editorials etc that come from christians and jews to make it known when they are offended that is the way it is supposed to work. We are not talking about a theocracy here everneo.

Apoligetics are worthless. Tolerate the crime and you encourage more of the same.

The really tragic thing for muslims is that they cannot make the connection between this kind of social tyranny and the flourishing despots in their own lands.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  14. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

from NYT international

here

We shall see the details of it soon I am sure. The police are probably trying to keep a lid on it to prevent the angry backlash that is sure to follow.

15. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Practically, Govt & laws can punish the killer, but cannot prevent his intention that has deep twitched roots in his faith, though can prevent the killing with more vigilant security. How Salman Rushdie got that? Rushdie too paid too high a price, living like a prisoner for his 'freedom of expression' that too in a free society fearing mostly foriegn mercenaries.

You said that it is not the individual who decides what limits are put on freedoms or rights that people have. This is applicable either way. Are muslims expected to live with deeply hurt sentiments under humiliation to save an invidual's freedom of expression who decides their limit by his own standards? Someone of offended muslims decided to show their limit beyond which they cannot be hurt sentimentally. Both the film maker & the killer tried to draw limits for other people.

Thats why i mentioned islam in bracket.
    No apologetics. I was just wondering who is nuttier, the film maker or the killer.
    Both acted upon their own standards of freedom & tried to limit other poeples' freedom and right.

Those despots cunningly hide their interests behind the religion, would not dare to go against it. Just look at any such despot and see how bloodier his hands are that would tell the amount of resistance he faced,facing.

16. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

20,000 gather to protest murder of filmmaker

Here

17. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Again the same perpetrators commiting the crime so in the final analysis is this your argument "say something I find offensive and I am justified in killing you"? What world are you living in Everneo?

If you can't see the difference between criticism or expression and murder then we have a problem.

Wrong, not the killer nor any muslim was forced to watch this (a freedom they have) they could have answered in kind and made a film or written an article editorial or book showing islam which countered submission. You have the right to make a film or write something that someone may find offensive, you do not have the right to MURDER someone. Please tell me you can see the difference.

If you really need to wonder about that then you need more help than I can give

It is just a political expression of this same mentality oppress kill or jail dissenters. Shut them up one way or another.

You are painting yourself into quite a nasty little corner here aren't you

18. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

I am from that part of world where someone would find it offensive enough to kill me if i say something bad about his mother. Damn with my democratic freedom, it does not really change certain sentiments.

Can't you see still there are people who can't see the difference between murder and criticism on their belief?

Do you say it is my 'freedom' not to hear if you call me by names?!

I fully agree with you. But it is not they who killed, it is 'he'.
    Path, I know the difference.
    Also, it depends on how 'offensive' is that 'offensive'. Some offensives are more than murder for some people. Your concept of freedom or your laws don't have any effect on their belief.

I am more interested in the dissenters who too were muslims we are talking about, right?

You are in the heat of the situation there in NL. You think about it when it is normal back there.

PS : Path, you posted reply, while i was modifying this post.

19. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Anyone would kill you or a NUTTER would? Would he be prosecuted as a criminal?

Which is why we have arrived at the system and resulting freedom of expression we have in the west, it was earned with blood and needs to be guarded jealously. You either live under the laws of the land or you are a criminal in the land.

It is your freedom not to listen or to call names back but not to kill simple as that otherwise we gradually shut down the free arena.

Am I reading this right?

No, then you do not see the difference you are abiding by vendetta not law. And you got this VERY wrong it should be "Your concept of belief or your faith don't have any effect on our LAWS". If you are arguing that vendetta is a viable option for a free society (which you seem to be) then you need to explain why.

20. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Like Hirshi Ali?

When is it back to normal in the NL....when people aren't killed for expressing an opinion, read the quotes from dutch politicians I posted above. No matter what the climate you can try all you like to justify murder it doesn't change the fact that it is murder and indefensible.

21. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Someone, soon if keep on doing that mistake. He might get life term or death sentence ofcourse. But i would not be alive to see my 'freedom' is honoured.!!!

You would keep on guarding the nuts, and you would keep on prosecuting reacting nuts.

You said mulims are not 'forced' to watch the movie & they are 'free' not to watch it, hence i replied what sort of freedom it is?

Who said 'vendetta' is a viable option? In the name of free society you will end up presecuting muslims for the sake of freeloading nutters like von gogh.

22. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

So is his killing you right or wrong?

So you think Van Gogh was a nut? Apparently most Dutch disagree with you, again murder is a crime making a film isn't How many times do I have to explain this for you?

Freedom of choice

You are defending murder in the name of honor what else do you call it. Are you also for honor killings?

23. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

I don't know whether Ms.Ali opposed any despot. What about who opposed tyranny of Saddam, Khadhfi, Saud &co.?

I don't justify murder, path. It is indefensible. The killer would get the capital punishment. We won't regret his death. So are future killers. Do you have a pill, that would prevent them from killing & turning them into going along with future Von Goghs in a 'free democratic way'?