Magen David Ambulance Dispatch: “Is it an Arab or a Jew?”

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by S.A.M., Jan 24, 2010.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Then you understand why I do not see any equivalence between those who murder with impunity and strip the natives of all their basic rights, while overwhelming wanting them gone

And those who, stripped off all their rights, are still willing to recognise the claims of others.

You know, even the Gazans sent aid to Haiti, sorry as their own state is. Not that anyone noticed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I understand it, but I don't agree with it, because from where I sit as an outisde observer, I don't see either side as being without blame.

Irrespective of first causes, from my point of view the israelies and palestinians are both prolonging the conflict.

Sure, I condem the invasion of the west bank or the Gaza Strip. I don't think that any of the human rights violations alleged against the ISraelies are justifiable under any circumstances.

But. I also don't think that brain washing children into hating the 'enemy', or doing things like blowing up school busses in market places is justified by it.

If you don't like it, think of it this way - as long as Hezbollah and Hamas continue to blow up school busses in crowded market places, the Israelies will continue to show the western world justification for attacking villages, killing children, and stopping ambulances.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you hold the Jews equally responsible for the holocaust? They fought back too.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I consider this question fallicous.

Do I think that Hitler stepped up the Holocaust, and turned up the Ovens in response to the fact that the Jews fought back?
    No.
    Do I think the Jews fighting back justifies the Holocaust? No.
    Do I think that the Jews made perpetrating the holocaust easier, and made it easier for the rest of the world to turn a blind eye to what was happening because of the centuries of racism, and their stereotypical attitude to outsiders?
    Yes.
    Would I have survived in Nazi Germany while this was going on? No.

However, this is not directly related to the point, because I'm not arguing that a palestinian settler trying to defend his land and his family against the IDF justifies the IDF invasion.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No you're claiming that Jews who feel resentful after the Holocaust about Germans are the same as Germans who hated Jews before and during.

Only its hard to apply that to the Jews, as it seems horribly unfair. But when it comes to the Palestinians its crystal clear that if only after 40 years of violent occupation, they had not resorted to violence to defend themselves from being wiped out, then they would have been innocent of any blame in the mess.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I suppose you're right when you put it that way, it's really no different to my grandfathers attitude towards the Germans and the Japanese after his experiences in WWII.

As I believe I have said already.

I don't believe that either side is without blame for perpetuating the current situation. While I accept that it might have been Zionist racism, and Zionist agression that set the stage for the creation of Hamas and Hezbollah, I also believe that their continued activity is as detrimental to the peace process as the activities of the IDF, or Jewish settlers in the West bank.

I believe, that if EITHER Israel gifted some of the land taken by it's settlers in the west bank, gaza strip, or east jerusalem, to give a few examples, it would do wonders for the peace process. I also believe that Hamas and Hezbollah destroying some of their weapons as a show of good faith would be an equally important breakthrough (like the IRA destroying it's weapons).

The problem (or part of it, as I see it) is that neither side want's to make the first move, because they're both afraid they're going to get - for lack of a better way of putting it - face raped by the other while their back is turned. What, in my opinion is required, is for a third party to step in to step up, negotiate a degree of disarmement and land return that's acceptable to both parties, and have the testicular fortitude to actually police the agreement.

But, that requires a degree of enlightnement, that in my opinion is seemingly beyond most of the world at this time, because it requires the ability to be able to critiscize Israelie actions, and police them, without it neccessarily being labled anti jewish, or anti semitic (in the modern sense).

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

/sigh

Where do I begin?

You can start from the King Crane Commission of 1919 and work all the way down to Hamas proposal since they came into power.

You can look at the UN resolution on the "Peaceful Settlement of the Palestinian Problem" which has the entire world on one side since 40 years and the US and Israel on the other [although over 40 years they have upgraded from 2 to 7 with the addition of Tuvalu, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Nauru and Palau all of whose population would fit in a good sized conference hall with room left over].

You can look at the Arab peace plan which all the Arab world has backed since 2002. You can look at what the International Court of Justice has said in its advisory capacity on the separation wall. You can look at the amazing consensus on the reports of the all the human rights organisations in the matter not just the global ones, like Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International, but also ICAHD, Btselem, Machsom Watch, Physicians for human rights in the occupied territories, Jews sans frontieres, Jews for justice in Palestine, Ta'ayush.

You can read what Palestinian intellectuals have been saying for the last 60 years all the way from Edward Said [there is room for everyone at the convocation of conquest] to Ali Abuminah and the words of ethical Israelis like Gideon Levy and Joseph Dana

And once you've done all that, YOU can tell me if its true that "neither side want's to make the first move"

My own take on it as an Indian? If you need the other side to produce a Gandhi, you're on the wrong team.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I always thought the assasination of Yitzhak Rabin was a 'crime', at the time I predicted (not that I can prove it) what has happened since then happeneing, and have often wondered what would have happened if he was still in power.

I understand all of that, and I take your point, but I may not have used the best words for mine (it's late, I'm tired, and it's approaching my bed time).

But, consider, for example, what Joel Singer, who negotiated the 1993 Oslo agreement had to say about the Arab Peace Initiative:
    "Again, this emphasizes the fact that something must be done to stop terrorism. And I see the Arab summit resolution, the peace initiative, the major problem with it is that it only called upon Israel to do a series of things and there was no call upon the Palestinians to stop terrorism. That's the basic flaw of this summit resolution. "

The point being, that although I lack the patience at this point to go looking for specific examples to cite, at least some of the peace proposals that have been put forward have not met the criteria I stated, I'm also fairly confident I could name some Israeli led peace initiatives (without getting into judaeo-american relations, and naming the american led ones).

I keep telling ya, I'm not on either side.
    They came close, but he was assasinated in 1995.

I suspect either side producing one at this stage would be a huge advantage.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Again, I don't doubt that pressure needs to be put on Israel, but I suspect an element of what a zionist would consider 'justifiable' hesitation, and perhaps futility.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I suggest you look at what these peace initiatives entail when you're feeling perkier.

The ICJ analysis which deals with 3 of the 4 "complex" issues of I-P is only 75 pages and gives the background of international law on the whole crisis.

The Arab Peace Initiative is pretty clear cut

The UN resolution for the Peaceful Resolution of the Question of Palestine has been on the table for four years.

Yes, the pressure is on Israel to make changes and when you read the above three documents, you will understand why.

14. CptBork Valued Senior Member

It sure would be a lot easier to get things accomplished and move things forward if our focus was on the problems of today, and not how things were 80 years ago. As long as large numbers of people such as yourself are trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater, by eliminating Israel's very existence, it's going to be almost impossible to isolate those elements of Israeli society that are today posing some of the biggest obstacles to peace.

That having been said, a truly good friend will criticize you when they see you going too far and doing things that harm yourself and others. We should be getting on Israel's case to start making true concessions and stop stalling, and we should be willing to start economic disengagement from the region in the event Israel simply tells us once again to f**k off. We in the west have done an enormous amount to help Israel survive and prosper, we're not obliged to hold back on improving relations with other countries in the middle east just to keep them happy. If the Palestinians truly are a serious security threat, then let the IDF occupy their territories, without housing Israeli civilians in the middle of a war zone as salt in the wound/human shields.