Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by S.A.M., Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I agree. And I actually am a software engineer, or was for many years. Although I think it's fraudulent to call what we do "engineering," it's somewhere between voodoo and a medieval craft.

Just as when I was a kid I enjoyed rebuilding carburetors but now I just want the damn car to get me where I'm going, I used to enjoy debugging software but now I just want the damn computer to do what I tell it to. My Mac does it and my PC does not. It's as simple as that.

My eight-year-old PowerBook is like a toaster. I plug it in, turn it on, wait a few moments, tell it what I want, out pops perfectly toasted data, and I walk away from it. Two or three times a year something goes wrong and I can usually just reboot, recover a file, lose a couple of hours of work, and forget about figuring out what happened.

My brand new ThinkPad with XP takes an hour to boot. I'm sure that's not true but it sure feels like it. Every single day I use it--and I am not exaggerating this time, I really mean every single day I use it--one Grungeware application or another crashes. Word, Excel, IE, that's about all I use and they are all pieces of crap. I have lost so many files that I routinely save my work every half hour to two different file names. That way when Word fails hard and actually destroys the original saved file I've still got backukp.

I have to have Word and Excel on my Mac for compatibility with my job, and they work better over there. But I use Safari and it's much more reliable than IE.

I don't do anything fancy. Word processing, spreadsheets, music, e-mail, the internet. That's it.

Mac does it better because Mac does it right. A Macintosh is an appliance. A PC is a delicate laboratory instrument. I just don't feel like spending ten percent of my time at my computer being a frelling software mechanic or a file reconstruction investigator.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

coconutBattery isn't just a tool which shows you only the current charge of your battery - it also shows you the current maximum capacity of it in relation to the original capacity your battery had as it left the factory.
    You also get information about the battery-loadcycles (how often did you fully load your battery), the current charger (coconutBattery even warns you if you plugged in a wrong charger for your Notebook) and last but not least information about the age of your Mac.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ripley Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

10. John99 Banned Banned

ha ha, thats a cool name.

OS X works greeat for me too

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Clean App is cool, the only thing i dont get is that when limit runs out it still shows you where the files are located

...i bought it anyway...

11. river-wind Valued Senior Member

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

14. pencil Banned Banned

I would pick Vista over anything else. Why buy a Mac for video editing? Macs have only maximum of 2-cores on their high-end machines. Why do that when I can buy a custom-built 16-core, 16gig ram, 10-raid raptors for video editing that will be faster than ANYTHING apple has on the market.

Any PC for the same price (even cheaper) would blow away a MAC in performance.

15. Ripley Valued Senior Member

So then don't get one. Big shit.

16. John99 Banned Banned

i think they have quads now. mac hardware is very good, comperable to the estreme highend pc plus much better designed, especially mac pro.

and where are you going to get a 16 core motherboard from?

also, what 64bit programs are you going to run?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

18. river-wind Valued Senior Member

19. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Sam - thanks for the links.

Fraggle - spot-on about Macs vs PCs. I like your analogy to appliances and lab instruments. My six-year old G3 iMac running either Classic or Tiger with only 800 MB of memory ran with more stability and internet surfing speed than my two year-old Dell XP laptop - which was theoretically far more powerful - and both on the same HDSL connexion.

Now I run a Powerbook exclusively. It wasn't so much that Macs attracted me as that PCs pushed me away with their chronic crashes, bugs, malware, hostile interfacing, time-wasting, and general cantankerousness. Macs are the smiling, hot waitress who do their best to make one's meal a pleasant experience; PCs are the beaten-down-by-life, scowling, curt old hag who spills things in one's lap and messes up the order.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's a wonderful quote. May I use it?

21. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Thank-you; most certainly.

22. Ripley Valued Senior Member

And, uh, most posters here at Sciforums are, uh, PC users. Explains a lot.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Most posters at SciForums are technically oriented. Many are actual geeks. This is hardly a representative cross-section of the population. People like me, an IT professional with an 8-year-old PowerBook, are not typical of either IT or SciForums but I run into people like myself out in the real world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.