Lucid Living

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bowser, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Maybe I'm on the outside looking in for once but, yeah, that is odd...

I must admit though, I'm tempted to spam JamesR's profile, ad infinitum and beyond, with quizzical questions.

sideshowbob likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. geordief Valued Senior Member

The expression "to be fully alive" implies its opposite - we can (and are ,most or all of the time ) in a sense less "alive" than we could be.

Simply turning the wheels is not enough to be considered as operating to full (or sufficient) capacity.

As the great man** said "he who is not busy being born is busy dying"

**certainly greater than me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I'm wondering why you mention penises at all. I referred to homosexuality as a supposed mental illness. My post was not about sexuality.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I'm sort of interested in what I thought was the discussion and I don't specially want to connive at derailing it. I had thought, though I may be wrong, that where Sideshowbob was going was the issue of how the mind is able to tune out the cacophony of irrelevant information our senses constantly expose us to, in order to maintain a coherent focus on a task or thought process. Perhaps he may even have information about what mental conditions may result if this filtering mechanism ceases to work properly.

8. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

I maybe wrong but I understand one can connect with or explore one's own ''psyche'' (observer) through ''meditation''.
    If we ( or any other living thing) had never evolved the senses, would there be a ''psyche''? If yes, then what would it be doing?

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Nothing. Since - without the senses to populate it - our minds would literally be empty.

10. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

I'm glad you said that. I wanted to know from Bowser what ''makes'' Personal identity if not our experience, and how do we experience without the senses.
    No senses no ''psyche'' no ''Personal identity''

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  11. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

12. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

flip again.

13. geordief Valued Senior Member

Could we have an inherited psyche from our ancestry?

I mean might there be a basis is to our consciousness sitting in our DNA?

A kind of distillation of the sense based experiences of our ancestors...could the most fundamental perceptions be passed down the line of progenies?

14. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

All I can really say is that we seem to be something more than a flower just reacting to light in real time. We can plan for light and dark. We must have some sort of inherited programming to make us not instinctual creatures in that way.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

people are more complex, are they not? though i believe the rudiment of all life is awareness. We simply layer ours with concepts and ideas.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

is homosexuality about sexuality, bob?

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Not in the context that I mentioned it, no. I was talking about mental health and society's attitudes.

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Well, I've been thinking about that.

19. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

More complex for what? Survival?
    Do you think bacteria are aware?
    In the long term will that be a benefit for Survival?

20. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

We have evolved a mind, which can be an excellent tool.

I do. Not on the same level as you and I, but aware nonetheless.

I'm dead in the long run anyway, correct? So what's the point in fretting over a mental maze?

21. geordief Valued Senior Member

Is our awareness a function of our environment? (and our feedback into it....?)

We don't have awareness as self standing organisms ...just in those relationships...

Does "aware" always have to he understood as "aware of something"

As an aside anecdote ,years ago I was greeted with patronizing chuckles when I introduced the notion of someone being "self aware" into a conversation.I feel this is quite an uncontroversial idea now ,even mainstream .

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  22. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Bacteria survive without tools. Simpler, no headaches.
    I think it's down to chance a bacterium finds itself a good environment which later becomes really important to other animals and plants, example, the microbiomes of humans and plants.
    I'm dead later too. I don't fret about religion or seeking out mystical things. I'm here for the here and now. A lot like our bacteria cousins. I wouldn't waste time trying to throw a religious context on the psyche. I would just get on with life.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  23. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Mainstream or not, would you like someone trying to connect your psyche with religion.
    I'm not saying that's what Bowser's aiming for here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!