Lucid Dreams/Paralysis dangerous?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by novaster, May 9, 2003.

1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It reminds me some years ago I was sleeping and dreamt of a waterfall. It was crystal clear, flowing with the noises and everything. Some people probably would of lost bowel control over this, I however felt thirsty, so I began to drink from the waterfall. I drank and drank, and eventually woke up to find my mouth as dry as a desert and really dehydrated. I guess my body must of reacted like I was drinking but since I wasn't gaining any moisture I wasn't replenishing saliva etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Actually, control is a requirement for lucid dreaming, depending on which definition you use.

Heres what Google said...
    So maybe your just splitting hairs? I for one have NEVER had a lucid dream that I have also not been able to control.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

None of the definitions have control as a requirement. 4 don't mention it and then one that does specifies it as an option.

Not really. To call a dream where you are aware of it being a dream non-lucid simply on the grounds of no control is very inaccurate. Also, I have had lucid dreams that I could not control.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Theres more than one even in the four examples I gave, and it is not an "option" but rather an effect of lucidity in your dreams.

I never said, nor implied this. Crunchy I am finding it hard to converse with you.
    Again, all I said is that within lucid dreams (when you are aware) there are different levels of lucidity (or awareness) which grant more control than others.

I can understand why your having trouble understanding different levels of awareness in dreams, if youve only experienced one particular level. Otherwise I can see no reason you would not be able to understand what I am trying to convey.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  8. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You are right about there being more than one mention of control. My bad. 3 of the 4 links mentioned control:

"...he or she can actively participate in and often manipulate the imaginary experiences in the dream environment.

...and sometimes enabling direct control over the content of the dream...

...is then able to control dream events..."

It is however, not mentioned as a requirement (or an effect). A regular dream can be sometimes be controlled without awarness that the experience is a dream for example. People whom have lucid dreams have the option to try and assert control. There is no guarantee that it will work.

The "lucidity" in lucid dreaming isn't a gradient. You either know you are dreaming or not. How much potential control you have over the dream or how hyper-realistic the dream experience is are not qualifiers for a lucid dream.

I've experienced analogues to what you have described. I am simply pointing out that a lucid dream is like an on/off switch. You either realize you are dreaming or not.

9. Shadow runner Registered Member

Lucid Dreams A Good Experience? HaHa

I have been experiencing lucid dreams since I was 6 years old never have I had a good experience. My lucid dreams are always nightmares. When I was 12 I had a lucid dream I could see everything in my room except there was a man coming towards me, I was trying to break the paralysis but he cut my night gown. Then I woke up. I had a cut wound and my nightgown was slashed open. How is this possible? I really need help my grandma made me talk to my doctor and my doctor wanted to do research on me. PLEASE HELP!!! I'm 19 now and these lucid nightmares are ruining my life.

10. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

You obviously don't like the term research. I don't think the doctor wants you as a lab rat. I think you may have suffered psychological trauma at some point in the past. I don't like to say this but you may have suffered abuse as a child. It could be sexual but it is something you have tried to block out. See the doctor again and don't be afraid. His research as you describe it, may be to check for physical or mental remnants of child abuse.(depending on doctor)

There is a perfectly logical explanation for these dreams. In fact they may not be dreams at all but memories, possibly from a drug induced paralysis.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  11. pastakia Registered Senior Member

i myself hate lucid paralysis, it's annoying and the struggle to get free from it is annoying and the worst part is the parts you can influence will only add or decrease in the length of paralysis, it's the only thing that you get out of it. There are things you can do to influence your lucid dreams towards something you want but i'm not entirely sure how, this is where that amazing search engine google comes in

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  12. Abees Registered Member

Not with good English, let me explain my experiences
    I was having the worst of these sleep paralysis and I even hate to sleep @ night and day due to this. But this one happened recently. I was having a day time nap alone in my bed. After a while I felt as somebody is climbing upon my bed and lying near to me. The sensations in my body told me that I am having another terrifying experience. Within seconds this beast got hold of me from back side, trying to kill me. Suddenly an insight dragged me to thinking in the opposite direction. I wished to treat this beast as my bed mate and behaved in the same way…of course we (I) had a great time in that lucid dream just followed. All my worries and fears of sleep paralysis were washed away from that point onwards. Now I am trying everyday to have that experience. All my perceptions are changed. The lesson learned by me is “the more you fear this, the more it will haunt you…so reverse your emotions”

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Sleep is for rest, not for shagging demons.

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm afraid I'm going to have to call you on that, sources please.

15. Moran Registered Senior Member

Dreams are never possible without rapid eye movement (REM) phase. I don't know if gadgets can not be designed to detect this and set off an alarm or drop ice cubes on someone having nightmares. An eye patch with motion sensors can work. I'll recomend this for patients who can not tolerate Efavirence (Stoctrin). P

16. RobV Registered Member

From personal experience, you can rest while not sleeping, but you can never shag a demon while not sleeping. And a life without shagging atleast one demon, well, is that life at all?

17. Moran Registered Senior Member

The Easteners say "Sleep is the twin half of death." Knowing this death becomes les scary. I guess nightmare is the twin half of hell. Just following Eastern logic. Hehehe.

18. keith1 Guest

One's muscles need as much rest at night, as they don't get in one's wake hours.
    One's mind needs dreams.

A sexual molester (possibly a family member) is basically a coward, and would rather choose a sleeping victim over an awake one.

Death and Sleep don't entail the same physical or psychological dynamics, therefore, one should not expect them to be comparable in experience.

19. andreirosu Registered Senior Member

I have lucid dreams and sleep paralysis almost every time i go to sleep. It was very frightening at first, i would panic and wake up covered in cold sweat. Later I realised what exactly was happening to me and I stoped fighting it, every time I get sleep paralysis, I just calm downand get back to sleep. Of course this doesn't work every time, sometimes I can't overcome the panic. This is a sleeping/psychological disorder that can be caused by multiple things, shuch as health problems(narcolepsy), or just emotional problems(like my case).

20. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Neither lucid dreaming or sleep paralysis are disorders.

21. andreirosu Registered Senior Member

depends on what you consider to be out of order...(unusual)

22. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

No it doesn't. A medical disorder has a very specific definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disorder

"a disturbance in physical or mental health or functions; malady or dysfunction: a mild stomach disorder. "

23. andreirosu Registered Senior Member

did you read the definition you just whore here? it sounds to me like sleep paralysis and lucid dreams realy are disorders, acording to the def.