Lsd

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by laladopi, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

That graph is bologna, Marijuana should be on the bottom of the scale for danger....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

yea, it's probably made my some high school student or its about 15 years old.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

I actually read about LSD the other day while I was drunk... From what I gather if you could get the right controlled substance, it could actually benefit you to some extent if your depressed, it can even help alcoholics, although that needs a little more research. It gives you insight into yourself.

I've never done LSD, I also read it was not addictive either, I might try it sometime. Although, I don't really like illusions appearing real, it would give me a bad trip, I like a intoxication where I still have some control, like when I am drinking, normally everyone says you lose control when drinking, but in reality, its overly exaggerated.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

It does change your perspective on stuff.

If you do try it, just be careful and do it in an environment that you are totally comfortable with. If you do wind up having a bad trip (very paranoid, skittish, and just feeling wierd), ride it out and you'll be fine. That doesn't mean you will have a bad trip every time; bad trips are fairly rare.
    It's not addictive, but if you do too much of it, it can really screw you up.

8. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I have a feeling that you are going to come to the conclusion that the lucid dreaming also leads nowhere.
    It's also a blind alley.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  10. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

100 times! surprised your still able to remember words.
    It must have been over a long period of time because I know people that have done it have just as much as you have but are total wastes of life. You should probably stop for you may end up like the guitarist from pink floyd. He did it so many times he eventually just stayed in his mothers basement and painted all day. I also highly doubt you did it that many times, have you changed at all? What other hallucinogenic drugs have you tried, like research chemicals and what not?

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Lal, I lived through the 1960s and 70s. I've followed a great many drug enthusiasts through their entire lives. The War on Drugs is government hype. For every person who lost his way after a hundred acid trips, there are five hundred who got good educations, held responsible jobs, raised families, paid off their mortgages, and made far more than their required minimum contribution to civilization. Which, BTW, Syd Barrett paid in full with Pink Floyd's first two albums. He was perfectly justified in retiring young and doing whatever he wanted with his life, including simply directing his talents to a different art medium.

Pink Floyd is universally acknowledged as one of a small handful of bands of the rock era who deserve to be called "great" and are reasonably expected to be appreciated by future generations a la Mozart or Chopin. I don't think you have the vaguest idea how draining it can be for a person to pour himself into music of that stature. Don't blame the drugs, that's your idiotic D.A.R.E. school propaganda talking. Don't EVER trust the government, unless they're promising to take away all of your money and all of your rights.

Besides, I can't imagine who you're talking about when you say you know people who have taken that much acid. You're a kid! Are you talking about other kids doing it? Well duh. There's a reason people aren't supposed to take drugs until they're older. Their brain, their endocrine system, their immune system, their personality and their judgment are not yet fully formed. The drugs will interfere with that development.

Yeah, I've met a couple of people who spent high school stoned and twenty years later they're still selling hamburgers. Their parents should be shot for letting that happen.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  12. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I don't know if you want any advice but I'll give it anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

From my experience there's 3 things that factor in to what kind of trip you'll have; attitude/mindset going into it, setting and what you do during it.

Your attitude going into it makes up about 60% of the whole. As woo woo as it sounds you have to treat hallucinogens with a lot of respect, not just something to get messed up on for a good time. Don't do it when you're feeling particularly depressed or bad in general, it tends to amplify whatever you're feeling. That can be a good thing later to work through problems psychologically, but for a first trip it's not what you want. And don't hold any expectations, go with the flow is the right attitude to have.

Setting makes up about 30% of the whole. You want to be somewhere completely comfortable, and if you'll be doing it with people around you want to be completely comfortable around them. A random party is the worst possible place, and a lot of the horror stories about hallucinogens come from people who decided to just get messed up on it at a random party. Nature can be a really good place, but I wouldn't suggest it for a first trip simply because whenever you're out in the open you start to think about all the things that *might* happen. For a first time you want to have as much control over your environment as possible, and usually that means a comfy couch at home

What you do during makes up the remaining 10%. Treat the whole thing as a ride on a roller coaster, once you're buckled in and the thing starts moving you have no control over it. Your job is to sit back and observe the ride. This doesn't mean you're going to lose control of yourself (you won't), it just means you can't expect to steer the experience to what you want. The nice thing is that you're completely safe on this ride, so no matter what happens all you need to do is go with it and ride it out. It's always a good idea to have some music ready just in case, good music. Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Yndi Halda, El Ten Eleven... that sort of thing.

Follow all that and the chance of a bad trip falls to something like 5%. Every once in a while it'll throw one at you no matter how well you prepare, but the thing to always remember is you're completely safe and everything will go back to normal in a few hours.

*cough* not that I'm promoting it or anything...

13. LadyMidnight Catherine J. Registered Senior Member

I completely agree. Most addictions do start out being mainly psychological. A lot of people who regularly use marijuana claim that it is not physically addictive, but take their precious weed away for a couple days and they often feel anxious, irritable, and bummed out.

I meddled with a few drugs when I was 18-19, but I wouldn't go near the stuff again. Ok, I'm lying because caffeine, ethanol, and nicotine are all drugs and I do use them (actually in the process of quitting smoking, but it's only been a couple days). But I don't touch the "hard" stuff anymore, and I'm also hesitant and cautious with the use of prescription drugs. I've seen too many people lose their lives (literally and figuratively) to drug addictions. Even with something as seemingly harmless as weed, I've seen brilliant minds turn into lazy piles of flesh. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens a lot.

14. laladopi time for change. Registered Senior Member

Me along with my boyfriend and his mother, in which we all have experienced acid, wonder why some people that we know some how stumbled off the path during their acid binges. Some can handle it but others I have noticed become different. This could be part of their use of others drugs as well. I do believe to much LSD can change you for the rest of your life.

No, I never believed anything D.A.R.E said it is a bunch of propaganda. Syd Barrett I may have misunderstood possibly, but he was consumed from what was going on with his life outside his home.

True, like kids that drink all summer do a lot of damage to their frontal lobes and damage the ability for it to grow as sufficiently as it should.

Yup.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Excellent assessment. You more or less took what I summated above and ran with it.
    As for the music to listen to, that is extremely subjective. I love classic rock and all, but if you are into the electronic music (raves, etc.), IMO, acid (and especially 'E') doesn't get any better listening to that music. If it's not a 'smacky' trip (where you are extremely chill in the corner), you will not be able to stop dancing.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I enjoyed going diving at night and watching the different types of underwater lights that are dazzling and very abundant. There are jellyfish and plankton that "glow" in the darkness around me while there are very interesting sounds that the ocean creatures make communicating with each other. Many times I would actually believe that I could understand what they were says and really got into it, enjoying every aspect of every dive I took at night. I even went scuba diving on a few trips just to be able to sit on the bottom of the ocean and relax more while enjoying all that nature had to offer. Snorkeling was better though because there's no bubbles that your tanks are giving off as you breathe and you just float face down in the still water until you want to leave. I'm always real close to shore so as not to be far from land in case I just want to lie on the beach and experience the stars or whatever the land has to offer.

eace::thumbsup:

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In my observation, that's the way they felt before they started getting high. So it's not addiction withdrawal, it's simply a return to a natural state that has been suppressed by self-medication. Some people go to shrinks to stop feeling that way, others just get stoned. I've been to a few shrinks so I can't really argue with someone who hopes there must be something that works better.

We're encouraged to improve our mood with caffeine, and caffeine causes dreadful withdrawal symptoms in whole lot of people. Why should other effective drugs for mood improvement not be treated the same way?
    You should consider a job as a government propagandist if you sincerely believe that alcohol and nicotine are not the "hard stuff." They're both in the top twenty leading causes of death!

I remember when L.A. Police Chief Darryl Gates said in an interview that he wished the police had the authority to shoot people who use marijuana. A letter to the editor promptly appeared, saying, "Sure, because that's the only possible way he can make our drugs as deadly as the ones he uses."
    That's the fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc, "correlation implies causation." What sorts of controlled experiments have you performed to be certain that this wouldn't have happened to them anyway? Have you followed your brilliant college friends through adult life to see how many of them became trophy wives, settled into easy government jobs, or are still sponging off their families?

"It happens a lot" to people who don't take drugs too.

18. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

True, the music is really subjective. There's two instances where I'd listen to music during a trip, either to enhance it or to steer it away from something unpleasant. To enhance it electronic music is, IMO, the best, but it can get pretty intense. To steer it away from a bad direction I'd rather listen to something a little more mellow, but still interesting enough that it distracts me from whatever I want to get away from. For this I've found the bands I mentioned are really good, especially GYBE. 20 minute songs like this one but in FLAC, awesome

And the worst music for me has been the generic rock stuff everyone seems to be fascinated with these days. Listening to that on drugs just tends to show you how lame, repetitive and unimaginative it is.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  19. LadyMidnight Catherine J. Registered Senior Member

I considered this as a possibility. Then I started asking all my stoner buddies (I live in California - I have many) that same question. Most of them admit that they are PSYCHOLOGICALLY addicted because their strong desire to get high affects their thinking and often makes them anxious and irritable. Even if something isn't physically addictive, your mind can cause physical symptoms.

The whole reason behind my putting the word "hard" in quotations was because "hard drugs" is a conceptualized idea that the general public has about all illegal drugs besides weed. It's not my personal viewpoint, or I wouldn't have used quotes. But one of the reasons why I don't touch most drugs is because they're illegal and I don't want another arrest (I already have one from a physical altercation lol). And where did I say that nicotine and alcohol weren't dangerous? If I thought nicotine was safe, I wouldn't be putting myself through the withdrawal symptoms of quitting! And most alcohol-related deaths are from drunk driving - not the alcohol itself.

With that said, I didn't mean to sound like I'm criticizing anyone here who experiments! I've done my share. It's just not my lifestyle anymore. I already have impulse control problems, so I fear addiction. Not everyone has to worry about it.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

the source you linked to is very biased when it shows cannabis as being more dangerous than solvents.

i have seen exactly ZERO cases of OD on pot.

21. LadyMidnight Catherine J. Registered Senior Member

I OD'ed on marijuana once haha. I ended up with a bad fever, vomiting, and a heart rate that must have been over 200 beats per minute. My friend wanted to take me to the hospital, but I was sure I wouldn't die....... so I chose not to deal with the humiliation.

I've heard of this happening to a couple other people. I don't believe there are any recorded DEATHS from overdosing on pot though. Maybe that's what you meant?

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

panic attacks like you describe is common among pot users, especially first time users.
    increased heart rate is almost always present when smoking pot.

yes, by OD i meant deaths.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Geeze you sure live in a different part of California than I do. (L.A. for most of my life and now Humboldt County, one of the three in the "emerald triangle.") I could name (but I won't) twenty people my age who have lived perfectly "normal" lives with no remarkable or unpleasant symptoms from smoking pot (or not smoking it) forty years ago or last week. Actually most people eventually find a way around the one truly dangerous aspect of marijuana, which is the smoke. (Although an extensive study in Jamaica of people who had smoked it all their lives--a test group not hard to find in Jamaica--suggests that pot smoke is far less harmful than tobacco smoke.) Nowadays people make brownies, tea, alcohol infusions, or use one of those new smokeless vaporizers from Holland.
    It's unfortunate that the War on Drugs has that same effect on a lot of people. Rather than choose marijuana, which if you're determined to get intoxicated is arguably the safest possible way, they opt for legal but more dangerous drugs like alcohol or whatever's in their medicine cabinet. Another consequence of the War on Drugs is the high price marijuana commands on the black market (it's too bulky and smelly to sneak around with). People choose other legal and illegal drugs simply because they're more affordable. Or--worst of all--they combine a little marijuana with something else like dirt-cheap cocaine or legal alcohol. All bets are off when trying to predict the physical and psychological effect of a random mixture of drugs.
    Yeah okay, but most illegal-drug-related deaths are also second-order effects. By transferring a popular product to the black market, the government guarantees that it will be taken over by hoodlums who are willing to take the risk so long as they can charge a high enough price. Not only does this reduce quality control in the product, increasing deaths by overdose and contamination, but it makes the daily dose of the true addicts of the harder drugs unaffordable, pushing them into a life of crime. It also takes away the court and regulatory system for resolving disputes between two vendors or between buyer and seller, leaving guns as the most convenient means. My parents observed the same phenomenon during alcohol Prohibition.
    At least marijuana is not physically addictive. If you decide to quit, your body is not going to fight you over the decision.
    There were no documented cases of deaths caused directly by marijuana use in all of human history, at the time the Consumers Union book I recommended earlier was written. The overwhelming majority of "bad reactions" to the common illicit recreational drugs are either urban legends or the result of using another drug at the same time, usually alcohol. Oh yeah I knew a lady once who didn't tell the friend who was turning her on to her first joint that she was allergic to every known "grain"--another word for "grass."

Marijuana consistently proves to be just about the safest recreational drug ever discovered. Some of us have terribly sensitive reactions to caffeine and become, for all practical purposes, crazy.