Love

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by caffeine_fubar, Sep 28, 2004.

1. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Too bad my weaknesses are temporary; otherwise I'd entertain you 24/7.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Isn't it fascinating how alliances are formed in here?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Anyways, Xev, can you tell where you got that quote? Interesting. What else was there?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

More or less.

www.etymonline.com

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes. But isn't it obvious that if you express your anger you won't express any hate?

Yes. The entire world is wrong and you are right....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Give me a break. We study these people for a reason. Do you know where the terms "conscious", "ego", "unconscious", etc all came from? It came from those "apologetic, Freudian offshoots blind to human nature". :bugeye:

I suppose that's correct. Reminds me of what I learned in Psych 154....
    I think they called it "primary" and "secondary" emotions....? Very much like colors....

No, it is an emotion that is generated by rationalization. That's an.... Erroneous Substitution, I believe....

Love is not even an emotion. Well... maybe in some rudimentar way it is....
    But that's another discussion....

You are saying love is logical?

Go ahead. I don't care. I don't take it personally anyways....
    Besides.... I haven't said anything about myself in this thread, have I?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2004
  9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Now, why would that be? Is there some limited amount of emotion that one can experience in his lifetime or in any given time span? Is it like a slow well that fills up and must be drained upon occasion so that it doesn't transmute into something else?

And when you epress hate aren't you also expressing anger?

Earlier I said that that hate is no a real emotion. That like love it is an amalgam of various other emotions. And I still stand by that. Anger may be likely the strongest emotion outstanding within hate, but it's not the only one.

But, perhaps hate is more. Perhaps it is that hatred is directed. An unflinching pointing of a gun. Anger is a bit more general. If not in space then in time. Anger fades but hatred burns brightly. It persists over time.

And what does this say of Love? Is love also directed in this way? With the persistence in time? Meh. I don't know. I'm more interested in hate. Anyway, I'd say that hatred persists longer than love. Because hatred is less demanding. Hatred keeps the object of hate at a distance where you are free to maintain your hate-filled thoughts of them in peace. But love brings together (at least reciprocal love) and forces a recognition of the other, even to the detriment of the general condition of love.

Hate to be the one to break this to you, but Freud has been in disfavor for quite some time. He's actually coming back into vogue a bit now, but he was far too obsessed with having sex with his mother... among other things.

I think that these terms actually existed before Freud. But, he coopted them into his theories of mind. Now, if you had said "id" or "superego" then you'd have a case.

****edit****

Oops. You were replying at the same time that I was.

Maybe so. Maybe it is an emotion. An emotion made up of other emotions. A meta-emotion. But, if so then it's not a true emotion. I should think.

So, hate is an emotion while love isn't? Why? And why is it another discussion? Isn't this thread on love?

Are you saying that hate is logical?

Rationalizations aren't always logical. The mind doesn't work that way. They are merely constructed by our 'rational' mind.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well... anger that is not expressed is repressed. When you repress anger, it hurts you. It also builds up. If you keep accumulating anger, you basically almost explode, emotionally. That's where hate comes into play. If you don't express your anger towards something or someone, that anger will become hate.

I don't get what you are saying here.

Well... I agree with the angre one. The love one is too complex for now... and it's not what we are discussing.

For the sake of discussion, it might be a good idea for you to tell me what other emotions are within hate....

Wouldn't hate be anger expressed? Because "hatred" and "anger" are very similar terms, don't you agree?

I agree with that.

Yeah..... it's sad...

Actually.... I think you are right. Altough I think "unconscious" didn't exist before Freud. But he was the first one to make a psychological theory and he was the first one to use those terms and others into this context.

Well... what I see is that you are seeing hate in a context of rationalizatrion when in reality the feeling is separate from the rationalization. So yeah.... now I'm confused...

Yep. But we are discussing about hate right now....

Yes. Altough the emotion isn't. You see... you feel hate because you have a perspective of the world. If you dn't think first, you cannot feel hate. You can control it. So, it is logical that you can control it. But the feeling by itself is not logical. This is a purely epistemologic conversation......

And isn't that logical? I think we are using the word "logic" in a different way. Logic is not always correct, you know?