Love. Yes or No

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Sauce, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

If our only purpose was to reproduce then why aren't our lifecycles more like mayflies? Mayflies have a very efficient biology for reproduction, and the adults do not have but a day to live after achieving maturity, hence that is their purpose. We, on the other hand, have a lot of additional time on our hands, time that is uneeded if we are supposed to reproduce and die. Their is much more to our lives than that, and whether you accept it or not, there is a greater meaning. And our ability to love is part of it. You will know this if you ever experience it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Life is about living. Simple as that. It's not glorified, of course, it's not base, but it's simple.
    Just live. Like Arquibus said: love is a part of life. Humans aren't the only animals to feel this emotion. Many animals mate for life, with just ONE mate. You can't tell me that those animals feel no special bond or attraction towards one another? Humans are very much the same way as those other species.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but its different; we humans have also created a society where loners pursue love as their only hope and chance to survive; since the whole world has alienated them in some way or the other; some are successful so they live on and get a great life and work and become great Humans or may be average humans; those who dont become travis (the taxi driver, in the movie ,remember?)...

Rick

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Not all lovers are loners, however.

8. inuyaSHA0004 all shalt bow before me! Registered Senior Member

yes but think about it if we did not reproduce then our species would die but others would not the world couyld live without us and it would be better for other species...im a little off base...without reproducing there is no more ppl and there for our only porpous isto reproduce...simple as that.

9. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Mmmm...reproduction.

10. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Love normally leads to reproduction.
    Reproduction furthers our species.
    Love is why we are the dominant species on the planet, it is the reason why we are the most evolved.
    Evolution is the survival of the fittest, and on this planet, at least, WE, humanity, is the fittest to survive.

11. SURE Registered Member

Love is dynamic. The definition for each person is based on that persons experiences as a child (foundation) to an adult (life experiences). I think the bascis foundation is similar from person to person, but the love that drives each individual is upique. If you sit down and try to define love it always seems to come back to defining how you have been loved versus how you love. I know the ways in which I have been loved but it is difficult to define the ways I love. I know I do but it is hard to find that emotion within ones self. Love is evrerything we as individuals experience in life. It is the highs, the lows, the pain and the anger. I do not think we could experience any of the listed (many more) emotions if we did not love. This is what seperates us from other species. You can say love is what makes us superior but it can also be said it makes us a sub-species when one acts out violently towards our own kind.

12. inuyaSHA0004 all shalt bow before me! Registered Senior Member

hmmm...very interesting...but if love leads to reproductionthen our true meaning is reproduction its sort of a loop...see?

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Yes, and love is part of that loop, which you seem to not understand. Humans are animals, a living, of course our end goal is to reproduce. But, we live as long as we do because we are meant to be greater than just serving a base function.

14. inuyaSHA0004 all shalt bow before me! Registered Senior Member

yes it is true that evolution has set a very distinct path for our species...but those other so called "meanings" are absolete to the fact that if we did not reproduce we could not survive...and in cases love has nothing to do with it...take hookers you dont have to love a hooker just reproduce with them...kinda stirs the conversation...lol

15. SURE Registered Member

Reproduction is instinctual (sub-consience) in animals, but what seperates us from animals is our ability to feel and express the emotion of love. All species have the reproduction, almost mechanical, gene or drive. We can all be considered part of the "Animal Species" catagory, but humans could be viewed in a sub-catagory of it. Reproduction is the process of survival and perfecting our species through evelution. Love is an emotion that each human species constantly modifies based on our experiences with love in our lives.

Animals live as long and some even longer than we do.

16. inuyaSHA0004 all shalt bow before me! Registered Senior Member

thank you sure i thought i was alone on the concept of love as apposed to reproduction but i guess there are others who think like that

17. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Yeah, good point. In the end, I guess we're meant to just reproduce, though I would like to think that we have more a purpose than to serve so base a function. Is survival all we are cut out for? What about living, as well as surviving?

18. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Purpose is self-defined, as interface into abstraction is the same. We also must support our offspring to ensure that our genes are passed on further. Both complicated "survival" immensely.

19. Mr.Jack4WAR Hating the Hated Registered Senior Member

seriously bro, love hurts. im not no pathetic emo fuck, but realli me n this gurl went out for like 2 years and every one doubted us cuz of our age.. but i no it was love.. becuz u dont no what to feel or think, it just happens. most guys think with their dicks, so they are always just trying to get play. and after me n my girl broke up, all these horny ass motha fuckas were trying to get play from her. man i dunnt no why we called it quits, we thought it wud be smart. but were both second guessin ourselves... yet she has dun stuff with this new guy whose her boy friend.. she moved on in two months, after like 2 years. then she tells me shes not over me and was just TRYING to move on.. well thats my Pity-story.. but i am just trying to say.. love hurts bro cuz wen ur w/her u doubt yall then wen yall r apart u want her more than the world... GRR I HATE THESE FEELINGS!!

20. inuyaSHA0004 all shalt bow before me! Registered Senior Member

the only way to survive as a species is to reproduce so as a means of survival we must reproduce and all other so called "meanings" are mearly obsolete

21. inuyaSHA0004 all shalt bow before me! Registered Senior Member

yes i admit that love plays a major roll in every persons life i have even felt it from time to time but what is love exactly...a mutual concept of rashinal thought that is expressed in the most unusual ways and is felt by every living thing. but we are the only species on earth that can express it in a way that no other species can...hmmmm very strange

22. aran_en_dunedain Registered Member

I don't think we can go on about "we're the only species this" and "we're the only species that" since we're the only species to do a lot of things and we dont really know whether or not our friends from the rest of chordata have emotions (as we know them).
    and while love may only be a mechanism for reproduction, it does seem like more than that to us (regardless of whether or not it actualy is), and its probably more useful to discuss that preceive "true" love insetad of instinct

23. Arquibus Master of Useless Information Registered Senior Member

If reproduction is our only purpose than why do we even exist? What would the point be? We do more damage to the ecosystem than any other species, and our descendants will only serve to increase the damage. If there was no other purpose, nothing else for us to be doing, than shouldn't nature be destroying us for our lack of usefullness and destructive nature?