Love. Yes or No

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Sauce, Jun 22, 2005.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Then again, I could be wrong about everything I have ever said.

Realization is the first step towards elucidation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Are you 100% sure?
    Have I now? Perhaps. I thought, though, that you implied that love is not a choice in your previous post?

Perhaps. It is not easy to tell your mother and/or father that you don't really respect them or their beliefs. It is not easy to leave all you know behind and head out on your own. Doesn't mean I'm right or brave, just tired of being brainwashed.

love is work. it is not something you necessarily tell yourself, either; I think it can be something you recognize, at first, and then once the honeymoon is over, it becomes a choice and work. To me, it is more like an epiphany at first, something that sneaks up on you, be it fast or slow. The part of love that makes you feel all tingly inside, that makes you stay up at night, that makes you a little stressed. Once that high of finding out that someone you really like like's you too wears off, then it takes a choice, a commitment, some effort for it to continue to be rewarding. I'm hoping, because I have heard from some (though I'm not sure I believe them), that this love that you work at then can become even more rewarding and joyful. One thing I DO KNOW THOUGH, is that life can be a real bitch sometimes. Sometimes.

Maybe.

Sometimes. :bugeye:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Cottontop,

Ah. But there is a way to escape love. And that is the path of the nihilist. It is the path of the weak and the cowardly. It's the path of not caring. The path of carelessness. The path of emptiness.

Evinced by those who say such things as this: "What life? What living? What's the fucking point?"

What's the point?
    None at all, with that attitude.
    No point. But it sure is safe and comfortable.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Safe and comfortable are feelings... which to humans are real. As such, choose your point.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Just so.
    The short, sweet, simple cure for nihilism.
    And, the funny thing is, that it is nihilism. But people get stuck on stupid rather than choosing.

9. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

So, what exactly is YOUR point invert, or would it be too much to ask of the all-knowing brainchild?

10. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Those are the effects of a crush or infatuation, not love per se.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Cottontop,

My point is my own. Though across it, I travel...

My point was that your attitude of non-caring is weak. I imagine that you don't truly feel that way. That you just spoke without thinking heavily of the implications. But, I have spent a portion of mys life in a careless haze. I'd wish it on nobody. Don't turn to emptiness to solve your problems. It's weak and cowardly.

That's my point.

12. water the sea Registered Senior Member

This is spoken from an assumed position of omniscience. From the position of the assumption of what it would be like to see things sub specie totalitatis/aeternitatis.

To seriously claim humans have the ability to see things from specie totalitatis/aeternitatis is not acceptable.
    For if you can't move the sun in its course, for example, then you do not have that omniscient perspective, and you'd do better in not assuming it.

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Water,

Why do you need to be omnisicient to exercise judgement?

14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Make it clear to me, for I fail to see it, where Cottontop said he has the attitude of non-caring.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Cottontop said:
    "What life? What living? What's the fucking point?"

16. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

I see. That is fine. My point is this. I've put two people in comas in my life. Can you imagine how that feels to someone who doesn't know why he did it at the time? Who couldn't understand how he was capable of doing such things? Who had to isolate and withdraw from the world as his only recourse from not doing such things again? In his mind?

Probably not, so until you realize that life is not all peaches and cream for everyone, maybe you should rethink why you think life has a point.

17. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Yes, to exercise *fair* judgment takes omniscience (at least). Otherwise, you're just presenting an opinion that is *treated as* judgment.

I find it nonsensical that an entity speaks of judgment when it is not able to consequently carry it out. It's just a lot of hot air then.

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

So. Turning a blind eye will fix it?
    Ok then. It's your life.
    Enjoy.

If everything was peaches and cream there'd be nothing to hide from in carelessness. Would there?

Well. Actually, boredom can lead to nihilism as well. But that's another topic.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Water,

Ah.
    So. We shouldn't ever judge anything.
    Then.
    Nothing is.
    For we don't have omniscience and are in no position to judge reality 'fairly'.
    This sounds like a third path to nihilism.

What do you mean 'not able to consequently carry it out'?
    You observe your environment. You observe your mind. You choose values based on these observations of both world and self.
    What's so difficult about that?

Are you afraid that you'll make a mistake and choose poorly?
    You will.
    Many times.
    So?
    To not choose is still a choice. And a weak one at that.

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

He said:

This part of the text is way to short and brief to make any conclusions about carelessness.
    If anything, I read it as "What life? What living? What's the fucking point? -- if there is no love".

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Water,

He was answering Gendanken's question. "Is this life?"
    He's advocating 'existence' rather than life.

And. In a way, you are too. With your need for omniscience to choose.

Plus. He confirmed my suspicions. And gave his rationalizations for it.
    "Who had to isolate and withdraw from the world as his only recourse from not doing such things again?"

Nothing to do with love. Unless he only hurts those he loves...

(I will agree that the text was too short for a 'fair' judgment. But, you have to go out on a limb sometimes... Don't you?)

22. water the sea Registered Senior Member

No. We can make assessments, but it is not in our power to judge.

Say some nitwit judges me of "intellectual pride". And? What are the consequences? Will he kill me for it?
    I am being "judged" all the time, but, damn, nothing happens! Why not?

23. water the sea Registered Senior Member

No, I am not saying that for choosing, omniscience is necessary.

And here goes your judgment. You totally missed.
    It is confidential so I can't say more, but I can tell you that you have totally missed with your judgment.